You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi, have enjoyed using affinity whilst travelling os, however could not save back to iPhoto’s.  having read other posts affinity was not displayed as an option in iPhoto.  Have installed the update since returning as  I thought this was something that had been fixed with the update, any tips pulling my hair out

cheers

Apple no longer supports iPhoto; however, if you still have it installed & use it in preference to Apple's newer Photos.app to manage your photo collection, you can set Affinity Photo as the external editor for iPhoto (iPhoto Preferences > Advanced).

The workflow for photos already stored in iPhoto would be:

1. Set up Affinity Photo as the external editor.

2. In iPhoto, use CMD+E or the contextual popup to edit in the external editor.

3. Make your edits in Affinity Photo.

4. File > Save  in Affinity Photo.

5. Close or quit in  in Affinity Photo.

6. Your edited version will be added to iPhoto & used in preference to the original. (You can revert to the original version from the Photo menu.)

If the photo is not already in iPhoto's library, edit it as you would any other photo in Affinity Photo, save it, & then import it into iPhoto. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 2 months later...

i followed the above advice and it appears to work when looking at the thumbnail image but when you select the image it shows the pre-editted version.  Also, if you use it as your background it is the pre-editted version.  

What am I missing?

Thanks,

John P.

4 minutes ago, JohnP said:

i followed the above advice and it appears to work when looking at the thumbnail image but when you select the image it shows the pre-editted version.

Are you using the iPhoto or Photos Apple app?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

5 hours ago, JohnP said:

Sorry, I'm using iPhoto.

Then I am not sure what to tell you. The method I mentioned worked for me back in March when I posted it but I have since deleted iPhoto so I cannot test with it anymore.

Affinity Photo