You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do I draw with the brush and pencil tool in the draw persona then fill in different sections of the drawning with colour

Hey guys,

I'm trying to figure out how to accomplish what Chi is doing in this video:

More specifically, Im trying to figure how make my drawing with either the brush tool or pencil tool while still keeping the drawn object as a series of vector strokes (so in the draw persona) , and then be able to colour in different sections of the object afterwards. He starts to colour the object at the 5:50 mark.

thanks

Hi, HDoowop,

From what I've seen from people asking similar questions, it appears that the way AI structures fillable areas from merged lines has no 1 to 1 match in AD. That is, each area that he colors would have to remain a separate object. Typically, One would have a Face group. Inside that, there would be individual layers for head-phones, lips, etc. The lines of the face would be objects nested inside the face outline. AFAIK, the whole thing would not be drawn at once.

Setting a pen stroke style would be done by changing the pressure curve profile in the stroke dialog.  I have a style category for strokes w. different kinds of tapers and weights

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

ahh ok ok, so I guess I'll have to take additional steps to achieve the steps in the video.

If i'm using the vector brush and pencil tool, I guess I'll also have to be mindful to draw closed shapes in order to be able to fill them with coulour afterwards right?

I hope we're able to get to the same way of doing things in a future update.

I couldn't quite tell if Chi overlapped all the strokes, but it seemed he did, and then merged them. So in the end, there were closed shapes. But from what little I know of AI, it allows a line to define areas on both sides, say a diagonal running from one corner of a rectangle to another. AD requires 2 vectors in the same place, on for each formed triangle. So, yes, more work, or at least one needs to approach the drawing process in a different way.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

• 3 weeks later...

Just bumping this one more time to see if anyone else uses the program in this way and can provide some suggestions on how to go about working in this way.

It would be really cool to be able to draw like this and then have some type of auto close feature especially when or if AD gets released for the IpadPro, having the ability to draw completely in vector with the apple pencil would be really cool.

thanks

On 09/03/2018 at 0:53 PM, gdenby said:

I couldn't quite tell if Chi overlapped all the strokes, but it seemed he did, and then merged them. So in the end, there were closed shapes. But from what little I know of AI, it allows a line to define areas on both sides, say a diagonal running from one corner of a rectangle to another. AD requires 2 vectors in the same place, on for each formed triangle. So, yes, more work, or at least one needs to approach the drawing process in a different way.

If you watch this video, he begin drawing at 4'30, and use enouth strokes to define/close each "part" he wants to color later. At 6'48, then he can dupplicate the strokes, vectorize the outlines and merge them.

On AD, that's when you add a complete border for the background and you can Divide the previous merged objets from the background object, before selecting the parts you want to colorize.

And you can do like him instead of using some brushes : you can create a style from some curve done with the pen tool, and use the  pencil tool for drawing.

The video about shading is interesting too, since it shows that we don't need to draw and fill shadows, but use many strokes to complete those parts.

Thanks for sharing this !