Christopher B

Affinity won’t open on my Mac

Hi MEB,

Thanks for passing it to the dev team.  Yes it did crash under the new user account and that is where I was able to obtain the crash report.  Otherwise, no crash report popped up under my usual account.  Thanks again! 

Hi Christopher B, 

Can you please force the app to crash again so you get the crash report window but this time click and drag the icon in the title bar of the crash report to your desktop while pressing ⌥ (option/alt) to create a copy of the crash report. Then attach that .crash file here.

Sorry the trouble but we need to confirm/check some details.

Hello! I've tried to reproduce this on our old iMac 2011 model running Mavericks (same patch version as yours) and it works correctly... Can I ask exactly which iMac you have? Is it by any chance the 2009 model with Radeon HD 4850 chip? I don't think we've got one of that age to test on... Let us know which model you've got and we can go from there... The crash report doesn't actually list the call stack in any threads, so I'm assuming it has to be a crash while initialising the app itself (ie before it even runs any of our code and is just loading dependencies) so if your machine has an issue with this and cannot be updated to anything newer than Mavericks, then I'd suggest that it may be best to request a refund from Apple as there may be no solution from our side?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Hi MattP,

Thanks for trying to figure this out.  My iMac is mid-2011, 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB, running OSX 10.9.5 (13F1911).   I will seek a refund unless any of this data helps you.  

Again thanks,

Christopher B

Hmmm, that's very odd! Our iMac is the Mid-2011 21.5" i7 model with HD 6770M running 10.9.5 (13F1911) so I really would expect that you'd be able to run without issues... Without reinstalling the OS, I think we're going to draw a blank on how to fix it as something is obviously wrong that's out of our control - but as a last-ditch attempt, would you be able to try adding a new Admin user (System Preferences -> User & Groups) and seeing if it will run when you login as that user? It's easy and quick to delete that user again afterwards and at least you'll have ruled out any user-specific installed applications that might be messing with things. I must confess that this is not something I've heard of before and I'm sure we've had your specific model in the office over the years, so I wouldn't expect a problem. If you get no joy and you're unhappy to upgrade to a different level of OS X then I really would just pursue the refund route while you're able to :)

Thanks again,

Matt

(Well, Christopher, I know you want to use Logic 9 on your Mac, so you might be stuck with Mavericks from this side. But alternatively you could try to set up a new partition on your hard drive and install Sierra, for the more recent applications and for everything online. As far as I see, Mavericks doesn’t get security updates from Apple anymore, so I’d be cautious to do online banking on an iMac like yours … on the other hand, I am well aware that having two systems on a hard drive is sort of a pain. :()

Thanks for the advice on that, A_B_C.  I will try a partition (for a couple of reasons now!).  MattP, I tried to launch Affinity under a new Admin user and the same thing happened.  Very strange indeed.  Thank you both (and MEB) for all your help!  I will let you know if I get anywhere with a new partition.  Best, Christopher B