Christopher B

Affinity won’t open on my Mac

I have an iMac with a 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 processor running OS X 10.9.5 and just bought Affinity Designer which will not open.  Please help!  Thanks.   UPDATE: I downloaded the Beta version for Mac and that also is not opening up.  The icon does that expanding animation Mac icons usually do, but then... nothing.  Thanks for your help.

Edited by Christopher B
Tried Beta version to no avail

Hey Christopher B, welcome to the Affinity Forums.

Can you hold ctrl on your keyboard when launching the app and click Clear when prompted. I've only seen this issue a couple of times and that normally fixes it. Also make sure you've got full Read & Write permissions from Get Info on the app in Applications. 

Hey Chris,  Thanks for your advice.  However, it is not working.  I did notice though that when I Get Info about the app, under Sharing and Permissions, there are only 3 groups listed: system, wheel and everyone.  System has Read and Write, Wheel and Everyone have Read Only.  However, all of the group names are greyed out and I can't change them.  Additionally, when I open up another app that does work on my system I noticed that the group names are different, namely: christopherb, admin and everyone, plus I am able to select those (they are not greyed out).  See attached screenshot of the two side by side.  I hope this helps you to resolve my issue.  Thank you!  - Chris

Screen Shot 2018-03-08 at 9.23.54 AM.png

Edited by Christopher B

Chris  UPDATE: I have now added my computer 'christopherb' to the sharing and permissions list and enable read and write.  But it still won't open.  And when I press control and click on the app, it only provides a list with the option to OPEN at the top.  Nothing prompts me with an option to click Clear.  Thanks again for your help.

I don't have one and am reading on this forum that Affinity mainly uses CPU.  I use other graphics applications on my Mac, including Photoshop.  Affinity won't even launch.  If you can't resolve the issue, can you refund my purchase?  Thanks for your help.

I don't have one and am reading on this forum that Affinity mainly uses CPU.  I use other graphics applications on my Mac, including Photoshop.  Affinity won't even launch.  If you can't resolve the issue, can you refund my purchase?  Thanks for your help.

As far as I can see, your initial permission settings were correct. These are the same for all apps downloaded from the Mac App Store (MAS). Anytrans isn’t available from the MAS, which will account for the differences in the permission settings. But of course, that kind of information doesn’t help a lot. Have you tried reinstalling Affinity Designer from the MAS? :)

Hmm … that’s weird. :(

From your earlier words, I have the impression that Affinity Designer starts, but crashes immediately. Do you see any crash reports in Console? Have you checked if the graphic card drivers are up to date, as Chris had suggested? From the specs of your system, Affinity Designer should work … hmm …

Hi MEB,

I'm not sure I know what you mean.  Do I need to be logged in to my Affinity account in order to use the application?  In other words, how do I run Affinity from an account?  I've just opened up the app like I would any other to use it on my Mac.  Thanks so much for your help.

Chris

No, MEB is talking about a user account on your Mac. You can go to Apple Menu > System Preferences > Users, and create a new user on your computer (plus icon). Then log into this new user account and try to launch Affinity Designer from there. See if it makes any difference. You can delete this new user account afterwards.:)

Thanks for that clarification A_B_C.  I did as you suggested and found out some more information (in the attached screenshot).  I use OS 10.9.5 because of a Logic 9 program that I continue to use.  Perhaps I won't be able to use Affinity in this system.  Any more advice?  Thanks again! :)

Screen Shot 2018-03-09 at 10.25.13 AM.png

No, Affinity Designer is fully supported on OS X 10.9.5 (Mavericks) … have a look at the system requirements at the bottom of this page:

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/designer/full-feature-list/

I am sure the developers would be happy to have your crash report. Could you just copy all the contents from that window into a text file and attach it here? Or send mail it in a personal message to MEB?

12 minutes ago, Christopher B said:

Thank you A_B_C for the note.  Below are all the contents from my crash report:

Alex (@A_B_C) was suggesting that you copy the text into a file:

16 hours ago, A_B_C said:

Could you just copy all the contents from that window into a text file and attach it here?

By pasting the text directly into your post, you've doubled the length of the thread and therefore massively increased the amount of scrolling required when reading it. ;)

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.2.471 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.2.153 • Designer for iPad 1.7.2.6 • iOS 12.4.1 (iPad Air 2)

Hmm. It looks as if the OpenGL library cannot be loaded on your system, so it isn’t necessarily a bug in Affinity Designer. I am curious to learn what the developers will say. :/

Miguel Boto (MEB) is the part of the Serif staff and the helpful spirit of this forum. You can already infer this from his 20k posts and 5.5k likes … :)

In any event, I think he will communicate your problem to the developers. I have also noticed that Chris B is following this thread. I believe he is part of the quality assurance team, and so I think the devs are already aware of your issue. Nonetheless, I don’t know if they are in office over the weekend, so you might have to wait until Monday before you get a more detailed response. But I am pretty confident that your problem will find a solution. :)

20 minutes ago, A_B_C said:

I have also noticed that Chris B is following this thread. I believe he is part of the quality assurance team

Yes, he is (as are Chris K and Sean P).

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.2.471 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.2.153 • Designer for iPad 1.7.2.6 • iOS 12.4.1 (iPad Air 2)

Hi A_B_C and MEB and others.  I have tried to get a refund from Apple but they do not refund software downloads.  But that is not my first choice option, as I would really like to be able to use Affinity.  It sounds amazing.  Has there been any progress in determining why Affinity having trouble opening on my Mac?  See above thread and crash report, etc.   Thank you so much for your help!