BeckyDot

Brush tool not working in Affinity Photo

Hi there!  

I love the Affinity products, but yesterday I encountered a problem: The brush tool is not working in Affinity Photo.

Whether I create a pixel layer to paint in, or the Assistant helps create one for me, the results are the same--the brush tool will not paint.

This came right after I updated to version 1.6.7. (My Mac OS is High Sierra, version 10.13.3, btw.)

Thanks for an otherwise-excellent product!

I have had the same problem, elsewhere in this forum this issue has also been mentioned. The only way that I could get it to work was to close the document and Photo and reopen.  Then it worked fine.  Apparently this is a well know but random bug.

Hi DavidGH,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

There's quite a few situations where might look that the brush tool isn't working but that are caused by some setting that shouldn't be enabled (like the case in this thread) or some specific layer construct. If this happens again can you please post a small clip of the issue happening or a screenshot of the application window with the tool selected and the Layers panel visible so we can see what's going on? This would help us identify any possible issue we are not yet aware.

Thank you.

HI MEB

Thanks for the reply,  if it happens again I will get in touch, although I have no idea how to post you a clip!

Thanks,

David

Well, it happened again (I was trying to pain a gaussian blur having first inverted the layer - I could n't paint the layer in or out although it was clearly there).  The only solution is to save the photo file and reopen: it then worked fine. All the setting were the same.