You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Expand Stroke Needs Work

1 hour ago, CLC said:

is a known issue for years

@CLC [Was addressed to LarrySunshine (“The size of element shouldn't matter”)]. Seems not clear for some people, because it was said that the problem is supposed to exist only on small objects and because the function has never been stopped (for the inaccurate zone).

8 hours ago, Fantoga said:

They are aware and...now that Publisher is out the door...actively working to resolve these issues.

And I can assure you that Boris Johnson is actively working to resolve the Brexit issues. Feel assured now? No. Until released and confirmed working properly it is a fantasy.

Lets just let reality talk.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

Come on … is there any purpose to such insinuations? As if the developers hadn’t understood your frustration. I really don’t get what kind of satisfaction is derived from such comments. 

In all fairness, you will have to admit that the team has proven to strive for useful and innovative solutions in the past. Just have a look at the improved snapping options for the Pen tool. It is a joy to work with it, compared to other applications. Just have a look at isometric drawing, at typography options, at the interoperability of the apps provided by Studio Link. Against this background, it’s hardly understandable why the same type of comments is made over and over again with respect to a single functionality of the application. Admittedly, Expand Stroke is a basic and very important function for a vector application, and it’s current state in Designer is unfortunate. But this has long been acknowledged by the developers, and they repeatedly assured users that this issue is going to be resolved.

Please begin to understand that there is a hierarchy of tasks in complex app development. Insinuations as you made them are getting us nowhere.

Edited by A_B_C

3 hours ago, A_B_C said:

Come on … is there any purpose to such insinuations? As if the developers hadn’t understood your frustration. I really don’t get what kind of satisfaction is derived from such comments. 

In all fairness, you will have to admit that the team has proven to strive for useful and innovative solutions in the past. Just have a look at the improved snapping options for the Pen tool. It is a joy to work with it, compared to other applications. Just have a look at isometric drawing, at typography options, at the interoperability of the apps provided by Studio Link. Against this background, it’s hardly understandable why the same type of comments is made over and over again with respect to a single functionality of the application. Admittedly, Expand Stroke is a basic and very important function for a vector application, and it’s current state in Designer is unfortunate. But this has long been acknowledged by the developers, and they repeatedly assured users that this issue is going to be resolved.

Please begin to understand that there is a hierarchy of tasks in complex app development. Insinuations as you made them are getting us nowhere.

Insinuations? Do you have any idea what happens when prod of a big project goes to waste because of a software bug? The answer is NO you don't. And this bug has been for 5 years from what I understand. This is not acceptable and people are outraged. Like I said before the only people who defend Affinity are amateurs or aspiring designers who have no clue what professional design process is.

3 hours ago, A_B_C said:

I haven't noticed a single insult here, you seem to be a bit oversensitive, don't you think?

Well, I'm a frustrated user who paid for "professional and most precise vector drawing tool" and that is clearly not true (now for years).

Please, stop with euphemisms, Expand Stroke's current state isn't unfortunate. It's catastrophic. And it's not just current state, it's been like that for years and sadly, it wasn't Serif's priority to fix this. Instead, we got arrowheads and isometric drawing. How often will people use those compared to expand stroke? It's like the second most discussed feature on the forums. And I'm really happy that the dev is currently working on it. I hope he's gonna manage to fix it along with some other frustrating bugs.

Please, begin to understand that when basic features are not working as expected (for years), blast of semi-useful features added in to market and sell the app to more people won't help the current userbase and will push unsatisfied people to voice their opinions. And they are entitled to do so. Not everyone is an uncritical fanboy. Some of us need to work, to rely on the tools we use.

Honestly - every time there's an update, I'm happy - hoping that most of the annoying bugs will be fixed. Instead, I get another bunch of regressions or new bugs.
It even seems that there are no testers in Serif.

Fyi, this is how was AD marketed to me:this.thumb.jpg.daf361612f8e3169d693924e715ebb62.jpg

7 minutes ago, CLC said:

I haven't noticed a single insult here

Neither have I, but that isn’t what @A_B_C wrote! He used (and you quoted) the word ‘insinuations’, which means hints of something bad.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Insinuations … first of all, I had the impression that Jowday meant to insinuate that the developers at Serif are not sincere in their expressed commitment to improve Expand Stroke, which I found indeed a bit offensive towards the team behind Affinity Designer. Secondly, having followed the profoundly disturbing Brexit agony over the last few months, I am not sure whether it helps to compare our Expand Stroke struggles with what I perceive to be a concerning political development in Europe with possibly damaging consequences for our societies and our political culture. Maybe I didn’t get the humor.

Leaving politics aside, I think it’s the mark of the professional to know their tools. Yes, the shortcoming we are discussing have been there for quite a long time. Now, being a professional, why do you even attempt to start a project using a software application of which you know it will fail at an essential point in the process? Why do you still cling on marketing talk?

This is what I don’t get. Everyone knows that Expand Stroke needs work. Everyone knows that if you depend on this functionality for a project, you may want to consider using another application in the mean time. Why keep on complaining? I don’t feel being forced to use Affinity Designer for every detail of a project. I enjoy working with it, as far as it goes, and when I need a functionality of which know it is not reliably available in Designer, I will use a different application. Designer has all the export formats to secure perfect workarounds. And from the legacy Serif has in developing the apps of the Affinity Suite, I am quite confident that we will “get there” eventually.

The origin/purpose of serial complaining might be some sort of psychological relief that it causes, maybe wanting others to join the joy...

Meanwhile, it’s as tiresome to others as the bugs themselves.

Best regards!

28 minutes ago, A_B_C said:

Everyone knows that Expand Stroke needs work.

Not the users that don’t use the forum and that trust the “professional” software and that don’t have the time or idea to check every function under all possible situations. If they run into bigger problems after the production … we all can only hope that they will not read the forum.

1 hour ago, LarrySunshine said:

Do you have any idea what happens when prod of a big project goes to waste because of a software bug? The answer is NO you don't.

Do you have any idea what backups are for? They will be your best friends.

I’ve been working with Oracle/SAP Solutions for some years now and I can tell you that bugs are everywhere, and that sometimes those big fish last a lot of time to correct them right (because they can issue a Patch that will cause more troubles).

Best regards!

7 minutes ago, Mithferion said:

Do you have any idea what backups are for? They will be your best friends.

I’ve been working with Oracle/SAP Solutions for some years now and I can tell you that bugs are everywhere, and that sometimes those big fish last a lot of time to correct them right (because they can issue a Patch that will cause more troubles).

Best regards!

Backups of physical materials? I don't know you can back those up.

8 minutes ago, LarrySunshine said:

Backups of physical materials? I don't know you can back those up.

Ah, true. That’s a whole different story, no doubt.

Just out of curiosity, do you do any kind of testing before going full production mode? Was such a course of action possible in the work that you are referring to?

Best regards!

10 minutes ago, Oval said:

SAP had the money to settle the recourse claims of a large corporation.

And the bugs/problems they cause to other large corporations are gigantic.

Best regards!

Just now, Mithferion said:

Ah, true. That’s a whole different story, no doubt.

Just out of curiosity, do you do any kind of testing before going full production mode? Was such a course of action possible in the work that you are referring to?

Best regards!

Absolutely, but that's where the problem is. Expand stroke works sometimes as it should, but sometimes it loses nodes or messes the shape up. The worse scenario is that the result is barely noticeable with bare eye so you launch the prod and you find out you spend money on bunch of scrap. This could be forgivable if it wasn't... 5 years in development of so called professional software.

Btw this passive aggressive guy reacting to my comments with a cry smiley is adorable.

Since my college days, I’ve been told to test everything and I also learned the hard way that you never have to take anything for granted, so that’s why I asked.

So, just to summarize:

- Testing is a must and a best practice, with Serif and with any other Software Package from any Vendor

- It has been badly managed, this and the seams bug, by Serif. I agree with that

- Beating a dead horse has no purpose

Best regards!

1 minute ago, Mithferion said:

Since my college days, I’ve been told to test everything and I also learned the hard way that you never have to take anything for granted, so that’s why I asked.

So, just summarize:

- Testing is a must and a best practice, with Serif and with any other Software Package from any Vendor

- It has been badly managed, this and the seams bug, by Serif. I agree with that

- Beating a dead has no purpose

Best regards!

Not taking anything for granted is one thing and I agree, but there is a limit where you put a certain amount of trust in basic tasks software should be able to handle. If you have to triple check every step manually it will add way too much stress which is very bad.

1 hour ago, A_B_C said:

Insinuations …

I stand corrected, sorry for misinterpreting your words.

1 hour ago, A_B_C said:

Secondly, having followed the profoundly disturbing Brexit agony over the last few months, I am not sure whether it helps to compare our Expand Stroke struggles with what I perceive to be a concerning political development in Europe with possibly damaging consequences for our societies and our political culture. Maybe I didn’t get the humor. 

I believe he was just being sarcastic. Well, after 5 years of patient waiting, who wouldn't be? Politics has nothing to do with business, this is clear business and humour.

1 hour ago, A_B_C said:

Leaving politics aside, I think it’s the mark of the professional to know their tools. Yes, the shortcoming we are discussing have been there for quite a long time. Now, being a professional, why do you even attempt to start a project using a software application of which you know it will fail at an essential point in the process? Why do you still cling on marketing talk?

I'm not. I'm still locked in the Adobe ecosystem. I wanted to leave it, and Serif seemed to be helping. But it's sadly not...
Since I can't rely on Affinity Suite, I'm mostly avoiding it. Getting back to it after each update to find out if it's already useable for me or not.

1 hour ago, A_B_C said:

This is what I don’t get. Everyone knows that Expand Stroke needs work. Everyone knows that if you depend on this functionality for a project, you may want to consider using another application in the mean time. Why keep on complaining? I don’t feel being forced to use Affinity Designer for every detail of a project. I enjoy working with it, as far as it goes, and when I need a functionality of which know it is not reliably available in Designer, I will use a different application. Designer has all the export formats to secure perfect workarounds. And from the legacy Serif has in developing the apps of the Affinity Suite, I am quite confident that we will “get there” eventually.

Expand Stroke doesn't need work. It need to be completely rebuilt.
Why I keep complaining? Because I was sold a most precise vector design tool available (and Designer isn't that tool).
Until it does what it was sold as, I have complete right to complain. Or should I remain silent for next five years?

Hey, but fanboys clapping their hands how awesome the tool is, that' ok, amiright? Those don't bother you, you donesn't seem to complain about those.
But it's the very same song, mate.

10 minutes ago, LarrySunshine said:

Not taking anything for granted is one thing and I agree, but there is a limit where you put a certain amount of trust in basic tasks software should be able to handle. If you have to triple check every step manually it will add way too much stress which is very bad.

I remember a bug in Oracle BI that made add a user to a Role, have to Save and Close, edit the Role again and add a new user, because adding more than one in a single go was not possible.

Even simple tasks can be buggy.

Best regards!

4 minutes ago, haakoo said:

You may sing another song but is stuck on repeat. 

Indeed and I don't think there's anything wrong about that.

Btw you can easily use forum's ignore feature and won't see my (or Jowday's or JGD's, make your pick) repetitive posts ever again. It's there exactly for that purpose.

3 minutes ago, Mithferion said:

I remember a bug in Oracle BI that made add a user to a Role, have to Save and Close, edit the Role again and add a new user, because adding more than one in a single go was not possible.

Even simple tasks can be buggy.

Best regards!

Yes but in prod where you cut stuff, foil etc there are just too many details so you can overlook easily even if you triple check. If you are holding your breath every time you launch prod worrying your software may have failed you it's just not the way to work. If you have to check on everything everytime then you may as well write your own code to operate plotters, printers etc. Keep in mind we are talking about critical bugs dev's know about for years. It's no excuse.

5 hours ago, A_B_C said:

Jebus, so sensitive. I was just telling this individual that indtil we have it, we don’t. All these Führerbunker remarks from users about coming Wunderwaffe is useless.

I trust that Serif is prioritizing it. But until they release it and we see that it works, users promising other users that it is coming is just hot air from fanboys.

I made insinuations elsewhere :10_wink:

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.