You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi Everyone. I'm new to Afinnity but, so far, after watching the tutorials, am very impressed by the product. I often find myself shooting birds in thick forest regions. The branches can absolutely kill the shot  (attached - "Before" is a Limpkin shot at Corkscrew Sanctuary in Naples, Florida). I used both the Clone and Inpainting brush tools to remove the branches with the result shown below ("After"). I'm not happy with the smudging and discolouration that resulted. Should I be trying a different approach to removing these pesky branches? There must be a better way given the obvious power of this editing tool.

Thanks all!

Before.png

After.png

Givven the circumstances, I think that the tools have done an excellent job!

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

My attempt with the clone tool

5aa00ba8b0fb5_clonetooltry.jpg.75422bae5e4235d1d6aeebc86455b3a8.jpg

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

12 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

My attempt with the clone tool

Looks like the bird lost a leg :/

intel core i5,  16GB 128Gb ssd win10 Pro Huion new 1060plus.

philips 272p 2560x1440px on intel HD2500 onboard graphics

Razer Tartarus Chroma

Likewise with the clone tool - I also found his beak

puffin.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

50 minutes ago, dutchshader said:

Looks like the bird lost a leg :/

It be a Pirate Limpkin pirate.gif

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Everyone,

I've enjoyed the replies, especially the ones about pirates and limpy limpkins. It seems that I simply need to refine my skills with the Clone tool. Lets just say that once I get a leg up, I'll be on my way to fixing these problem areas. Thanks guys. I learned something and had a good laugh :) too.

Paul

42 minutes ago, Tom McDonald said:

Late comment, but did you try the inpainting tool? Worth a try.

All the best.

That's what he started out with Tom.

10 hours ago, Tom McDonald said:

Late comment, but did you try the inpainting tool? Worth a try.

All the best.

Judging by the postings here it's not a patch on the clone tool!

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

14 hours ago, IanSG said:

Judging by the postings here it's not a patch on the clone tool!

lol! I hope that was a pun intended lol but inpainting works well you just have to pick the right subject for the tool. With the birds repeat patterning the clone tool works well, but with a big blob of green the inpaint tool will struggle.

11 minutes ago, Tom McDonald said:

Hi all,

Apologies for suggesting the in painting tool when you had first tried it.

Teach me to try and speed read late at night.

Cheers

Tom

Coffee intravenously and matchsticks for the eyelids.

Like This