You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi forum,

On both Photo and Designer, I'm often confused by when my vector stroke styles are either inherited from the last object I create or not.
I can't work out the rules for how this happens - can anyone advise on how to control this behaviour either way?

Similar issues when I just want to draw a new vector with a new fill colour. So I might select the previous vector layer because I want to insert a new object in front of it. This object will always inherit the style of the one I have selected, which is often not what I want, and can make it hard to see the new shape. I have to change the fill and stroke afterward to stand out against the underlying object.

I'm sure I'm missing something simple here!!

• Staff

Each tool will retain the settings from when it was last used. You can reset the Fill and Stroke back to their default Black & White via a keyboard shortcut. Open Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts, set the first dropdown to Draw or Photo and the second to Miscellaneous and look for Set fill to Black & White.

• 1 year later...

Each tool will retain the settings from when it was last used. You can reset the Fill and Stroke back to their default Black & White via a keyboard shortcut. Open Preferences > Keyboard Shortcuts, set the first dropdown to Draw or Photo and the second to Miscellaneous and look for Set fill to Black & White.

Hi Lee,

I'm not sure that I am getting the same results as you describe. I am using the pen tool in Affinity Designer and assigning a brush texture for the stroke however every time I make the very next vector using the pen tool it defaults to a basic 3px wide solid line. In other words my app isn't remembering the style I last used. Is there something I could be doing wrong?

Thanks!

Edited by Rael Harris
Wanted to add a quote.