You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

I am currently starting to evaluate software for a three to five year project that's supposed to start mid-October. We are currently planning to use InDesign, but after seeing the impressive beta of Affinity Designer, I would like consider Affinity Publisher for this as a non-cloud alternative.

Is there any chance of seeing a beta or getting a full feature list or a beta during the next two weeks?

One of the most important features for this project is the capability of importing HTML and / or XML files and assigning style sheets based on the HTML tags -- if needed through a script, plugin or find-replace-macro.

Any ideas if this might work e.g. when I can try pushing a sample file into designer?

Cheers

Jens

If the feature list is still fluid, then please, please, don't ignore the plug-ins or scripts architecture. In order to compete with inDesign this is an absolute must for any company to consider Affinity Publisher in the future.

Also, please consider implementing Contextual Styles in Publisher. I'm not sure whenever this term has been used by anyone else but what I mean here is to be able to import the CSS styles to Publisher. CSS styles are contextual in that a Heading in a section may not be the same heading for the entire article. That would give an enormous boost to the publishing industry and would allow us to re-purpose anything created by Publisher. From web pages to ePubs, etc.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

• 4 months later...

It would be interesting to see if Affinity Publisher can do as much and more than InDesign and Partial of Dreamweaver or (Flash Catalyst) for Interactive Digital Magazine or Book setting to best the iBook author program as well. 

By having all those program in Affinity Publisher, I can truly appreciate creating online content publishing, live interactive magazine that be publish online and re-edit to live magazine or online book similar to Look Book in backend CMS system integrated in this program. 

It would be very interesting to see if AP 2015 can have capability to build website layout to become official Web developer with advance of CSS, HTML, PHP editor capabilites to work with as well as workspace and work station "share" live preview from ADesigner, APhoto to APublisher 2015 to build beautiful workflow of creating web to epub as you can see from Adobe Contribute CS5 That would be head turner program ! 

What you think ? Affinity Staff/Developer would this be possible for Affinity Publisher or is that too extreme for engineering programers to try or can be add in as extend program after or during Beta of APublisher ?

I too am very happy with Affinity Designer and I'm looking forward to Affinity Publisher but I do have one concern. It isn't really a big thing and it doesn't have anything to do with features or use-ability it is more about image. I worry that with the name "Publisher" might give people the wrong impression. For as long as I can remember, Publisher (the name) has been used to refer to the abomination that is Microsoft Publisher. For those who have never used it or who have never had to try to get one through a RIP then consider yourself lucky. I just hope that people don't think that Affinity Publisher and Microsoft Publisher are in anyways related. All the professional graphics people that I know and have known, all of them have many horror stories about Microsoft Publisher. I know that Affinity Publisher won't be like that but it is name association. Just something to think about.