Patrick Connor

Latest Affinity releases on each platform by store

This post is designed to be an aid to knowing if you are using the latest version on your platform. 

I will update/edit this post as new releases and betas are added.

Product Name       | Platform       | Purchase Store  | Version   | Trial       | Customer Beta
====================|================|=================|===========|=============|==============
 Affinity Designer  | Windows 7,8,10 | Affinity  Store | 1.6.4.104 | 1.6.4.104   | 1.6.5.119
 Affinity Designer  | Windows 10     | Microsoft Store | 1.6.4.104 | n/a         | 1.6.5.119
 Affinity Designer  | Mac OS         | Mac App Store   | 1.6.1     | 1.6.0       | no beta
 Affinity Designer  | Mac OS         | Affinity Store  | 1.6.3 PK  | n/a         | no beta
 Affinity Designer  | iOS 11         | iPad Store      | 1.6.1     | not posible | no beta
 Affinity Photo     | Windows 7,8,10 | Affinity  Store | 1.6.4.104 | 1.6.4.104   | 1.6.5.119
 Affinity Photo     | Windows 10     | Microsoft Store | 1.6.4.104 | n/a         | 1.6.5.119
 Affinity Photo     | Mac OS         | Mac App Store   | 1.6.7     | 1.6.6       | no beta
 Affinity Photo     | Mac OS         | Affinity Store  | 1.6.9 PK  | n/a         | no beta
 Affinity Photo     | iOS 11         | iPad Store      | 1.6.8     | not posible | no beta

Release notes

Affinity Version Numbering

Windows build numbers and Mac builds are independent.
The third number increases each time a public release is made, so Windows and Mac builds have simply been released a different number of times (sometimes to fix OS specific problems) 

Affinity Designer Windows 1.6 has had 5 public versions 1.6.0, 1.6.1, 1.6.2, 1.6.3 (very briefly) & 1.6.4

Affinity Designer Mac 1.6 has had 3 public versions 1.6.0, 1.6.1 (and 1.6.2 PK & 1.6.3 PK on the Affinity Store for corp/direct sales and redemption code customers)

Affinity Photo Windows 1.6 has had 5 public versions 1.6.0, 1.6.1, 1.6.2, 1.6.3 (very briefly) & 1.6.4

Affinity Photo Mac 1.6 has had 3 public versions 1.6.6, 1.6.7 (and 1.6.8 PK & 1.6.9 PK on the Affinity Store for corp/direct sales and redemption code customers)

Affinity Photo for iPad has had 6 public releases 1.6.1, 1.6.2, 1.6.3, 1.6.4, 1.6.5, 1.6.7 & 1.6.8

Affinity Designer for iPad has had 2 public releases 1.6.0 & 1.6.1, but is based on the latest released codebase (technically ahead of all other 1.6 releases).

[Please note that Microsoft Store presents the build number slightly differently so 1.6.4.104 can also appear as a store update as 10604.104.0.0]

Windows Photo 1.6.4 is approximately the same codebase as Mac Photo 1.6.7. They were released quite closely and share 99% the same features and shared fixes, and obviously each also has OS specific fixes. [see release notes section above]
Windows Designer 1.6.4  is approximately the same codebase as Mac Designer 1.6.1. They were released quite closely and share 99% the same features and shared fixes, and obviously each also has OS specific fixes. [see release notes section above]
So Windows and Mac version numbers differing simply means the number of versions released are different.

Installation of Software and Updates

Software downloaded from the Affinity Store requires a product key and email pair to use. New versions are notified within the application when it is first run and updates are done manually by installing the new version over the old. (Only the Mac versions from the Affinity Store needs manually uninstalling first, all other versions will install over the top of the old one)

Software downloaded from the Mac App Store, Microsoft Store and iPad store do not require a key and are updated through the relevant store. This is not always simultaneous around the world and updates are often rolled progressively by the store out so if you cannot see an update once announced here, don't worry or make a support ticket, just check back as they will normally appear for all users within 24 hours of first release.

Patrick Connor

Serif (Europe) Ltd.

On 1. März 2018 at 0:14 PM, TonyB said:

also 1.6.2 PK

Thanks, PC. It would have been very difficult to solve the PK puzzle without your posting.

2 hours ago, Oval said:

Thanks, PC. It would have been very difficult to solve the PK puzzle without your posting.

I am still not entirely sure about the "PK" versions. I understand that they are Mac versions available from the Affinity (instead of the Mac App) Store, but not who can buy them. Is this just for the XRite promo offer or is there more to it?

Affinity Photo 1.6.7 & Affinity Designer 1.6.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.5 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.6.8.77 & Affinity Designer 1.6.1.40 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 11.4.1

R C-R

The last section of my post explains that all software from the Affinity Store requires a product key (PK) to use. The Mac Affinity software direct from Serif is for our corporate and educational team to do licensing deals, but has also been used with some bundle deals,  like x-rite,  where a redemption code is used to aquire the Windows or Mac software and product key (pk). 

Patrick Connor

Serif (Europe) Ltd.

1 hour ago, VIPStephan said:

Oh how I would love to abandon the AppStore and buy Affinity independently!

When we do start selling Affinity for Mac on the Affinity Store it will be as well as the Mac App Store not instead (in much the same way we are now on the Microsoft Store and the Affinity Store with windows builds). However we would clearly not encourage you to buy it again just to get away from the App Store, though you could if you really wanted to.

Patrick Connor

Serif (Europe) Ltd.

2 hours ago, VIPStephan said:

Oh how I would love to abandon the AppStore and buy Affinity independently!

What is so bad about using the Mac App Store? Among other things, it provides the option to automatically download (& optionally then install) updates in the background, not just for Affinity but for all apps bought through that store. It also provides the option to automatically download & install apps you have purchased on other Macs, & to use Family Sharing so other family members can download & install apps you purchased on your Mac on their Macs & visa versa.

There are no individual product keys that you have to keep track of or enter to install or update MAS apps. Your Apple ID & password functions as a 'master' product key.

Affinity Photo 1.6.7 & Affinity Designer 1.6.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.5 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.6.8.77 & Affinity Designer 1.6.1.40 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 11.4.1

1 hour ago, Patrick Connor said:

When we do start selling Affinity for Mac on the Affinity Store it will be as well as the Mac App Store not instead

Whatever, as long as I can choose not to use it. But yeah, I have AD already, puchased reluctantly through the AppStore, because at the time there was no choice. And I most likely won’t purchase it again. :)

38 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Your Apple ID & password functions as a 'master' product key.

Exactly that’s why. I don’t like the idea of a centralized repository where everything about me and my history (and even my family’s, and my family connections in general, and …) is stored.

6 minutes ago, VIPStephan said:

Exactly that’s why. I don’t like the idea of a centralized repository where everything about me and my history (and even my family’s, and my family connections in general, and …) is stored.

It is far from "everything." It just pertains to the apps you have bought through MAS. Besides, that limited amount of data is probably many times more secure on Apple's servers than is the far greater amount of personal data centralized on your Mac, or the amount of personal data you have shared with others that is stored on their computers.

On 3/16/2018 at 1:29 PM, Patrick Connor said:

When we do start selling Affinity for Mac on the Affinity Store

Could you please mention when it is going to happen? I do understand that MAS does help developers to reach customers. But I don't understand why a developer does not use as many channels to sell a product as possible. Considering that Affinity already has a store and adding one more digital product to it is free and just needs a couple clicks. I as a loyal customer prefer to pay directly to the developer.

3 hours ago, root said:

Could you please mention when it is going to happen? 

I cannot, that is a marketing decision, and not my field.

Patrick Connor

Serif (Europe) Ltd.

On 6.3.2018 at 1:28 PM, Patrick Connor said:

This post is designed to be an aid to knowing if you are using the latest version on your platform. 

Apart from this many detailed information very understandably presented, your post shows to me how much is going on behind the scenes.

It must be a 'sack full of fleas' to keep track of all of that :o

Thanks just for that. And everything else, too.

d.

Affinity Designer 1.6.4.104 (beta 1.6.5.123) - Affinity Photo 1.6.4.104 (beta 1.6.5.123) - Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.1.39 - Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.8.77

Windows 10 (1803) 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Last info before some BIG event.. :)

Best regards,

Petar Petrenko

Typesetter, Graphic Designer, Photographer

Skopje, Makedonija

Dell Inspiron 7559 i7
Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M )
16GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600MHz (8GBx2)
1TB HDD + 128 GB SSD Hard drive
UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED- Backlit Touch Display
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5

Windows 10 x64 Pro

33 minutes ago, fernandolins86 said:

Shouldn't this post be locked for comments? This way we only get notifications when the list is updated, not when a comment is added.

It's so complicated that I think customers should be able to ask questions here to clarify. More importantly I am editing the first post when the version numbers change and followers don't get notifications when edits are made, so I would have to make a new post too.

So I have a suggestion that you follow the whole "News and Information" forum instead. When there are important releases we make new posts in this forum AND as only Serif Staff can post in this forum you will get notifications of new releases (and only a very few other things).

Click Here to follow this News and Information forum.

Patrick Connor

Serif (Europe) Ltd.

The table should be updated in the Customer Beta column, because currently we have Affinity Designer and Photo Customer Betas at version 1.6.5.109, right?

Best regards!

You'll never know what you can do until you get it up as high as you can go!   

AMD FX 8350 :: Radeon HD 7870 :: Windows 10 ::  http://mithferion.deviantart.com/

Oxygen Icons :: Free Quality Fonts :: Public Domain Pictures :: iOS 11 Design Resources :: iOS App Icon Template :: The Secret of High Quality Art