You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

(Split) Discussion thread for "Affinity releases on each platform by store"

< Mode edit > these posts have been split from this locked thread < /Mod Edit >

On 3/8/2018 at 9:23 PM, Oval said:

Thanks, PC. It would have been very difficult to solve the PK puzzle without your posting.

I am still not entirely sure about the "PK" versions. I understand that they are Mac versions available from the Affinity (instead of the Mac App) Store, but not who can buy them. Is this just for the XRite promo offer or is there more to it?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

R C-R

The last section of my post explains that all software from the Affinity Store requires a product key (PK) to use. The Mac Affinity software direct from Serif is for our corporate and educational team to do licensing deals, but has also been used with some bundle deals,  like x-rite,  where a redemption code is used to aquire the Windows or Mac software and product key (pk). 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff
1 hour ago, VIPStephan said:

Oh how I would love to abandon the AppStore and buy Affinity independently!

When we do start selling Affinity for Mac on the Affinity Store it will be as well as the Mac App Store not instead (in much the same way we are now on the Microsoft Store and the Affinity Store with windows builds). However we would clearly not encourage you to buy it again just to get away from the App Store, though you could if you really wanted to.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

2 hours ago, VIPStephan said:

Oh how I would love to abandon the AppStore and buy Affinity independently!

What is so bad about using the Mac App Store? Among other things, it provides the option to automatically download (& optionally then install) updates in the background, not just for Affinity but for all apps bought through that store. It also provides the option to automatically download & install apps you have purchased on other Macs, & to use Family Sharing so other family members can download & install apps you purchased on your Mac on their Macs & visa versa.

There are no individual product keys that you have to keep track of or enter to install or update MAS apps. Your Apple ID & password functions as a 'master' product key.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, Patrick Connor said:

When we do start selling Affinity for Mac on the Affinity Store it will be as well as the Mac App Store not instead

Whatever, as long as I can choose not to use it. But yeah, I have AD already, puchased reluctantly through the AppStore, because at the time there was no choice. And I most likely won’t purchase it again. :)

38 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Your Apple ID & password functions as a 'master' product key.

Exactly that’s why. I don’t like the idea of a centralized repository where everything about me and my history (and even my family’s, and my family connections in general, and …) is stored.

6 minutes ago, VIPStephan said:

Exactly that’s why. I don’t like the idea of a centralized repository where everything about me and my history (and even my family’s, and my family connections in general, and …) is stored.

It is far from "everything." It just pertains to the apps you have bought through MAS. Besides, that limited amount of data is probably many times more secure on Apple's servers than is the far greater amount of personal data centralized on your Mac, or the amount of personal data you have shared with others that is stored on their computers.

Affinity Photo 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2018 at 1:29 PM, Patrick Connor said:

When we do start selling Affinity for Mac on the Affinity Store

Could you please mention when it is going to happen? I do understand that MAS does help developers to reach customers. But I don't understand why a developer does not use as many channels to sell a product as possible. Considering that Affinity already has a store and adding one more digital product to it is free and just needs a couple clicks. I as a loyal customer prefer to pay directly to the developer.

• Staff
3 hours ago, root said:

Could you please mention when it is going to happen? 

I cannot, that is a marketing decision, and not my field.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

• 4 weeks later...
On 6.3.2018 at 1:28 PM, Patrick Connor said:

This post is designed to be an aid to knowing if you are using the latest version on your platform. 

Apart from this many detailed information very understandably presented, your post shows to me how much is going on behind the scenes.

It must be a 'sack full of fleas' to keep track of all of that :o

Thanks just for that. And everything else, too.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Last info before some BIG event.. :)

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
41 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

There was only one change and that was an "installer" type fix to make .afstyles files import into the program [using a change to the property list file].

Then it might be worth adding something about that to the "what's new' info, because as it is it implies there is more than that....
IMG_07C94E9F8584-1.thumb.jpeg.2698afc20cdcdba2b488cf0562b332ab.jpeg

Affinity Photo 

On 3/16/2018 at 7:45 AM, R C-R said:

What is so bad about using the Mac App Store? Among other things, it provides the option to automatically download (& optionally then install) updates in the background, not just for Affinity but for all apps bought through that store. It also provides the option to automatically download & install apps you have purchased on other Macs, & to use Family Sharing so other family members can download & install apps you purchased on your Mac on their Macs & visa versa.

There are no individual product keys that you have to keep track of or enter to install or update MAS apps. Your Apple ID & password functions as a 'master' product key.

Having to give Apple a portion of the sale, therefor increasing the over product cost
Having to follow Apples ever changing App Store terms  (they are pushing for subscription models now)
Having to deal with Apple instead of Serif for refunds, etc

The ability to have and use your own product key, IMO, is a feature.

1 hour ago, someguy said:

IMO, having to keep track of & enter a bunch of different product activation keys is just a hassle I prefer to avoid. Considering the success of the Mac App Store & Microsoft's eagerness to try to duplicate that with its own store, I think it is safe to say I am not the only one.

Affinity Photo 

9 hours ago, R C-R said:

having to keep track of & enter a bunch of different product activation keys is just a hassle

So true. But what about the sandboxing “feature”. HEIC support for older OS X would be possible with a helper tool and without that MAS problem. (Just one example.)

On 3/8/2018 at 5:18 PM, R C-R said:

I am still not entirely sure about the "PK" versions. I understand that they are Mac versions available from the Affinity (instead of the Mac App) Store, but not who can buy them. Is this just for the XRite promo offer or is there more to it?

Affinity Mac licenses are there for anyone because I just got one. Hooray!!!

13 hours ago, someguy said:

Having to give Apple a portion of the sale, therefor increasing the over product cost
Having to follow Apples ever changing App Store terms  (they are pushing for subscription models now)
Having to deal with Apple instead of Serif for refunds, etc

100% agreed. Apples first commercial message ironically had an athlete run into a corporate group of lemming like IBM executive looking corporate "suites". They were all sitting at attention listening to a screen drone on, telling them all what to do. The athelete runs into the room and with a large hammer, hurls it shot put style across the room and smashes the screen everyone was being commanded by.

The message from Apple was, "Hey, wow, Think Different. Use an Apple. Be your own creative person. Up the corporation! Power to the (thinking for yourself) people (who think different)! ... etc."

Except that now, unfortunately accelerated with the passing of Steve Jobs, Apple has decided that it is time for their voice to be the one on the screen that every one should listen to. 

I for one tossed my metaphorical hammer of refusing to take part in app store purchases at the app store long ago. I prefer to interact with the development teams that make and sell the products that I use.

1 hour ago, levelbest said:

I prefer to interact with the development teams that make and sell the products that I use.

Which is exactly what I & a great many others who bought the Affinity apps through the Mac App Store have been doing for several years.

We also get options like automatically being notified of available updates even when the app(s) purchased through the Mac App Store are not running, allowing automatic update downloads in the background, or automatic downloads & installs, family sharing, & automatically or one-button manually installing MAS apps on other Macs we own or control.

None of these options are forced on us by Apple. They are just things we can choose to use to free up more time for actually using the apps rather than futzing around doing things that the computer is perfectly capable of doing without human intervention.

Affinity Photo 

2 hours ago, levelbest said:

Affinity Mac licenses are there for anyone because I just got one. Hooray!!!

I bought my copies of Affinity Photo & Designer on the Mac App Store. Can I reach out to affinity for a PK and a download from them instead? I'd rather simply deal with this great company.

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

Which is exactly what I & a great many others who bought the Affinity apps through the Mac App Store have been doing for several years.

We also get options like automatically being notified of available updates even when the app(s) purchased through the Mac App Store are not running, allowing automatic update downloads in the background, or automatic downloads & installs, family sharing, & automatically or one-button manually installing MAS apps on other Macs we own or control.

None of these options are forced on us by Apple. They are just things we can choose to use to free up more time for actually using the apps rather than futzing around doing things that the computer is perfectly capable of doing without human intervention.

as someone who worked for the company in question ... there are many many nuances you are overlooking. There, of course, are benefits to using the MAS - there are also downfalls.

what do you do when licensing issues arise and apple removes your software without a refund or the ability to redownload?
what do you do when your apple ID is deleted, removed, locked without your ability to re-access it, etc?
what do you do when Apples MAS terms become unfavorable to serif and that relationship ends?
AD infinitum

these benefits of software automation for updates and distribution have long been solved prior to the MAS - and I agree that software developers would be better spent developing software than spending time with distribution methods. Thats why such solutions exist for users that dont require the use of MAS.

MAS is a third party within the pipeline of Serif software being sent to the consumer. Its an added step of complexity that is unnecessary. It is made necessary by ... Apple ... for reasons that are readily apparent. I'm sorry, I dont accept "it updates automatically" as a credible benefit that can only be accredited to the genius of Apple MAS.

Apple created a walled garden, the MAS. Apple wants portions of all proceeds $$. Apple writes the rules for the MAS. Apple shifts its preferred business model often (now favoring subscription models).

Of course Windows will follow suite, $$$
Of course using the MAS is easier .. Apple designed it that way.

This doesnt negate the other arguments put forth. There is nothing wrong with your preference to purchase software directly through Apple. For many - this is a perfectly acceptable and preferred way. There is also nothing wrong with others saying - hey id rather buy it straight from Serif - give serif all my money, work with serif with refund requests and licensing questions instead of being sent to iTunes support for some prescripted denial of a refund because of the MAS terms that oversee the situation.

I prefer to buy software from Serif, deal with Serifs rules, etc.

59 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Not wishing to start any great bru-ha-ha here. I am glad that it has worked well for you. The Apple store does work well for some. But, it is definitely not the best solution for others. Not debating, just stating that's how it is for me. I am so very glad that this great app is now available to non app store users on the Mac. Hip hip, hooray! ;-)

1 hour ago, someguy said:

Apple created a walled garden, the MAS. Apple wants portions of all proceeds $$. Apple writes the rules for the MAS. Apple shifts its preferred business model often (now favoring subscription models).

And, unless I am mistaken, there are no sales allowed on the app store. Apple won't allow it. I have often discovered great software through sales, bundles, etc. Where is the choice in the app store model?

It is important to state that while the subscription model and the "we will control the vertical, we will control the horizontal" argument (outer limits throwback) sound good and probably are convenient to many users, this model really does benefit the developer more than it does the consumer. And, I can't completely argue with that. It must be a challenge to develop Mac software and then have to distribute it, keep up with customers, updates, etc. And all the while you know that if you stop innovating (haven't issued an update or an upgrade for years) then your customers are eventually going to leave you.

I am saddened and still amazed when a great developer like Bombich who makes Carbon Copy Cloner decides to start charging for his years of hard work and then, some people actually complain that it isn't free or low cost anymore. What nonsense. But to a degree, such are the expectations of some in the Mac community. This is why subscription based distribution makes developers and their financial backers very happy. With a subscription model, now you can show a projected income stream.

My concern with this is that it flies in the face of basic capitalist ideas where you expect someone to continue to make improvements and you continue to vote for their efforts with your cash. The subscription model can allow some developers to not be as keen to get things out the door as fast as they once did. Now that you have a captive audience, why hurry?

I always support (good) developers. I very much appreciate how hard it is to develop software and to distribute it. I can't knock someone who finds using the app store easier than not using it. It's just that, I won't be one of them. Hurling my hammer ... ;-)

Edited by levelbest
A line could be misinterpreted, was changed