You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo for Windows - 1.6.4

TonyB

• Staff

Hi,

We are pleased to announce the Windows release of Affinity Photo, version 1.6.4

The change-list is as follows:

- All new shadows / highlights algorithm for Develop.
- Develop clarity improvements.
- Improved input smoothing for all tools.
- Improved Perlin Noise filter.
- Transparent TGA import support.
- Many improvements to batch processing.
- PSD, PDF import / export improvements.
- Significant Photoshop plugin support improvements.
- Fixed inability to export transparent PNG, TIFF, etc.
- Fixed slow Lens Blur, Depth of Field blur issues.
- Fixed Depth of Field blur progress / slowness issues.
- Fixed sporadic hanging when opening many image files at once.
- Restored ability of marquee tools to snap.
- Fixed crashing bug when exporting certain large PSDs.
- Added special case PSD import code for “SketchClub” PSD files (they should fix this!).

- Fixed Text Styles panel to show the document defaults when no text is selected 
- Changed Layers panel to add more distinction between clipped and nested layers 
- Fixed document DPI showing a decimal place in some situations
- Fixed reset of user workspace when new panels have been added
- Fixed newly created Text Styles being applied twice to a text frame on creation
- Fixed vector export (including PDF) taking a long time due to large clip areas
- Fixed Fit/Shrink to printable does not fit to printer margins 
- Fixed 2nd Print has a zero size document in printer dialog 
- Fixed being unable to move the Greyness node in Layer Effects > Colour Overlay
- Fixed colour node appearing on the Colour panel 
- Fixed hit testing on floating window edges to make it easier to resize windows
- Fixed closing a floating window through the taskbar closing the application (a side-effect of this change is that Alt+F4 on a floating window will now just close that window, not the app)

- Fixed View Mode menu item incorrectly exposed in Affinity Photo Export Persona 
- Fixed double clicking View Tool is not consistent between Personas 
- Fixed crash when making a gradient document fill global 
- Improved performance when History and Layers panel are visible
- Fixed PDF Export for some documents
- Added bottom right resize grip corner to floating document windows
- Added Float, Float All, Dock and Dock All commands to Window menu
- Fixed Adjustment panels appearing at an invalid location if the panel was closed on a monitor which is then subsequently unplugged
- Fixed metadata not loading for unicode paths opened via drag and drop
- Fixed failure to close down due to waiting for invalid files to finish opening
- Fixed Text Styles panel to reflect the document defaults when no text is selected 
- Fixed Layers panel to add more distinction between clipped and nested layers 
- Fixed document DPI showing decimal places
- Fixed Workspaces getting reset when new panels are added in updates
- Fixed vector export of clips on rasterised items
- Fixed Fit/Shrink to printable not fitting to printer margins 
- Fixed second Print having a zero size document in printer dialog 
- Fixed fonts being rejected if they had a space in their Postscript name
- Fixed being unable to move the Greyness node in Layer Effects > Colour Overlay
- Fixed Spacebar not changing cursor to hand when in Develop
- Improved resizing of floating document windows
- Fixed closing a floating window through the taskbar closes the app
- Fixed Alignment Editor applying a second time when clicking away via a direct new selection
- Changed 'Arrange' button text to be 'Alignment'
- Fixed being unable to adjust custom wet edges spline 
- Fixed sporadic hanging when opening many image files at once 

- Fixed Pixelmator PSD text import
- Attempt to support fonts with truncated type 4 tables (e.g. Serpentine)
- Fixed text frame auto-resizing not working with a single character
- Added support for fonts that substitute spaces, eg Nyala
- Fixed Liquify Brush panel size slider limited to 1024px
- Fixed brush selection is not retained after duplicating brush
- Fixed changing brush tip is not always initially accepted 
- Fixed inability to export transparent PNG, TIFF, etc
- Fixed Fill Noise not applied when filling with Custom colour, Primary and Secondary colours etc  
- Fixed Colour Chooser not correctly switching to match the selected colour 
- Fixed tool shortcuts ignore modifier keys 
- Fixed Text Styles showing wrong units for Justification options 
- Fixed Tab Stop units not auto updating with document units 
- Fixed Text Style dialog missing the [No Change] behaviour for the Tab Stop table 
- Fixed drag and drop from IrfanView not accepting file items into the document as new layers
- Fixed exporting multiple documents
- Fixed when a colour is removed, the Opacity/Noise slider is not disabled 
- Fixed floating windows starting off-screen when monitor is disconnected
- Fixed layer folder icon not initially updating
- Fixed floating windows appearing on the incorrect taskbar
- Fixed text not being drawn after power duplicate
- Fixed rare instances of being unable to select text
- Fixed a couple of instances where the colour wheel wouldn't update properly
- Fixed unable to select a second swatch for bevel and emboss highlight and shadows 
- Use different icon for Arrange/Alignment
- Fixed unusable transparent area left after cropping with New View 

- Fixed parallel batch builds
- Fixed Live Dust and Scratches filter slider resetting to zero when dragging
- Fixed crash when moving live denoise filter in Layers panel
- Fixed popup closing when dragging an export token

- Extended Develop Clarity range (-100 to 100) 
- Fixed Depth of Field Blur Vibrance property only allowing values of 0% or 100%
- Improved loading of Canon EOS 6D Mark II files so they are less purple 
- Fixed creating an analogous colour chord does not add the correct swatches 
- Fixed Colour picker loupe not displaying on second monitor 
- Fixed Panel groups do not revert size when dragged in and out of other groups 
- Fixed Document Setup does not reflect or change current "Actual Size" Zoom for "Web" type documents 
- Numerous other fixes and stability improvements.

Please do not post bugs or problems that you find when using this version of the software in this thread, instead make a new thread in the Bugs on Windows section

1 hour ago, TonyB said:

Hi,

We are pleased to announce the Windows release of Affinity Photo, version 1.6.4

The change-list is as follows:

[...]
- Significant Photoshop plugin support improvements.
[...]

Please do not post bugs or problems that you find when using this version of the software in this thread, instead make a new thread in the Bugs on Windows section

Hi guys

Very good job for this version and all improvements. I have a doubt about the photoshop plugins improvements. What kind of improvement is it ?

Cause my workflow uses ProPhoto RGB color profile and if I can't use one of the Nik collection plugin without converting in sRGB first. 

You still don't send color profile information to plugins resulting a desaturation in Nik plugins if I don't manually convert my files before.

Considering this, working in a wide gamut doesn't make sense and it's a really bad point for such a promising software.

I know you're aware of this problem and I assume it's easy to fix so please guys make a step forward to perfection ;)

1 hour ago, Djoule said:

Very good job for this version and all improvements. I have a doubt about the photoshop plugins improvements. What kind of improvement is it ?

Cause my workflow uses ProPhoto RGB color profile...

Hi, the improvements enabled the use of more photoshop plugins (e.g. FilterForge) than was previously possible. We know there are still areas which need to be improved, including the use of colour profiles.

• Staff
1 hour ago, donmo said:

hi, I purchased my copy of affinity photo from the MS store a couple of months ago, will I be eligible for updates? if so how will that be accomplished, from the MS store?

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

If you open the Microsoft store and look at the top there is a set of 3 horizontal dots in the top right. (When logged in) Pressing that gives an option "Downloads and Updates" .  If Affinity Photo and Designer are already in "Recent activity" then you are already updated. Otherwise press "Get updates" and it should find both updates right there and then, and after updating the programs appear in the "Recent activity" list as version 10604.104.0.0 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Bonsoir.

Nouvelle version installée.  

Avec un SSD, temps de téléchargement 3 minutes, temps d'installation 2 minutes 30.

Temps d'ouverture, seulement quelques secondes. A vérifier à la première ouverture).

Simplement "Impressionnant, un vrai bonheur.

Ajoutez à cela une liste de corrections vraiment généreuse.

Tous mes salutations à l'équipe de développement.

Un travail d'orfèvre. Quel bonheur!

That's a long list of changes. I can't begin to imagine the measure of code that represents. Respect for the developers.
I've professionally done loads of work for decades with both Illustrator and CorelDRAW, but even in the early stages of its development AD already has become my favorite program. That is worthy of a huge compliment.

Home: https://vectorwhiz.com  : : : :  Portfolio blog: https://communicats.blogspot.com

I am confused about version numbers and beta release.

I saw another thread in this forum concerning a new Customer Beta version of Affinity Photo 1.6.4.104, and I had already downloaded and installed what I thought was the newest updated version  1.6.4.104, to which I was alerted from within the program.

Then, I stumbled upon this thread about a Customer Beta version of Affinity Photo 1.6.4.104, so now I'm confused.

Are beta releases and full update releases named with the same numbers?

Any clarification would be great, and thanks in advance...!!

'Tis better to have a camera and not need one than to need a camera and not have one.

-----------------

In pursuit of photographic excellence.

17 minutes ago, Chaplain Mark said:

Are beta releases and full update releases named with the same numbers?

Not initially, no. The 1.6.4.x versions were originally in beta while 1.6.3 was the release version, but now that beta testing has finished the last beta build has become the retail build.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Okay, now I see.....

The announcement for the Beta is dated March 2, the announcement for the new release is dated March 6....

Me understands now, me thanks you....!!   :D

'Tis better to have a camera and not need one than to need a camera and not have one.

-----------------

On 12/03/2018 at 7:45 PM, Chaplain Mark said:

Okay, now I see.....

The announcement for the Beta is dated March 2, the announcement for the new release is dated March 6....

Me understands now, me thanks you....!!   :D

When the beta finishes, the last beta becomes the official release. Then the next beta will start shortly afterwards, and will receive regular patches until we're satisfied, then that version will be released as the official update.

BTW the Win APh trial v.1.6.4.104 doesn't work after a fresh download/install and always thinks it has already expired aka exceeded the 10 day trial period here. So it seems somehow to be conflicting with the timestamps of previous trial version runs.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• Staff
9 hours ago, v_kyr said:

BTW the Win APh trial v.1.6.4.104 doesn't work after a fresh download/install and always thinks it has already expired aka exceeded the 10 day trial period here. So it seems somehow to be conflicting with the timestamps of previous trial version runs.

Thanks for the report, but this is deliberate. When new features are added, say from 1.5.x to 1.6 a newly downloaded trial will give another 10 days, but for bug fixes like 1.6.4 over 1.6.1 the same trial mechanism is used and you do not (normally) get a new 10 days to try. 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

2 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

Thanks for the report, but this is deliberate. When new features are added, say from 1.5.x to 1.6 a newly downloaded trial will give another 10 days, but for bug fixes like 1.6.4 over 1.6.1 the same trial mechanism is used and you do not (normally) get a new 10 days to try. 

Ah Ok then it's as intended, thought instead it usually is always also reset for minor version numbers here.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 0:51 AM, Mark Ingram said:

When the beta finishes, the last beta becomes the official release. Then the next beta will start shortly afterwards, and will receive regular patches until we're satisfied, then that version will be released as the official update.

Cool....Thanks for the explanation.

It turns out I just did not process the dates correctly in my feeble brain, when I saw the two postings about the beta and the subsequent full release.

Thanks again..!!:)

-----------------