You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer for Windows - 1.6.4

TonyB

• Staff

Hi,

We are pleased to announce the Windows release of Affinity Designer , version 1.6.4

The change-list is as follows:

- Improved brush smoothing. Any painting tools should now have better smoothing by default.
- Transparent TGA import support.
- Fix for failures when using compound objects inside groups with Constraints set on them.
- Fix for exporting JPEG automatically choosing to export clips as paths which is a poor default and causes confusion.
- Fix for text objects being created outside the hierarchy of the artboard they were supposed to be created in.
- Fix for rotated text bounding boxes being incorrect and for disappearing text following Power-Duplicate.
- Added special case PSD import code for “SketchClub” PSD files (they should fix this!).
- Fixed PSD export of Fill layers.

- Fixed Text Styles panel to show the document defaults when no text is selected 
- Changed Layers panel to add more distinction between clipped and nested layers 
- Fixed document DPI showing a decimal place in some situations
- Fixed reset of user workspace when new panels have been added
- Fixed newly created Text Styles being applied twice to a text frame on creation
- Fixed vector export (including PDF) taking a long time due to large clip areas
- Fixed Fit/Shrink to printable does not fit to printer margins 
- Fixed 2nd Print has a zero size document in printer dialog 
- Fixed adjustments being ignored when outside of an artboard even though they may have an effect on the document
- Fixed being unable to move the Greyness node in Layer Effects > Colour Overlay
- Fixed colour node appearing on the Colour panel 
- Fixed hit testing on floating window edges to make it easier to resize windows
- Fixed closing a floating window through the taskbar closing the application (a side-effect of this change is that Alt+F4 on a floating window will now just close that window, not the app)

- Fixed Pixelmator PSD text import
- Attempt to support fonts with truncated type 4 tables (e.g. Serpentine)
- Fixed text frame auto-resizing not working with a single character
- Added support for fonts that substitute spaces, eg Nyala
- Fixed brush selection is not retained after duplicating brush
- Fixed changing brush tip is not always initially accepted 
- Fixed Fill Noise not applied when filling with Custom colour, Primary and Secondary colours etc  
- Fixed Colour Chooser not correctly switching to match the selected colour 
- Fixed tool shortcuts ignore modifier keys 
- Fixed Text Styles showing wrong units for Justification options 
- Fixed Tab Stop units not auto updating with document units 
- Fixed Text Style dialog missing the [No Change] behaviour for the Tab Stop table 
- Fixed drag and drop from IrfanView not accepting file items into the document as new layers
- Fixed exporting multiple documents
- Fixed when a colour is removed, the Opacity/Noise slider is not disabled 
- Fixed floating windows starting off-screen when monitor is disconnected
- Fixed layer folder icon not initially updating
- Fixed document type incorrectly displayed when artboards added 
- Fixed text not being drawn after power duplicate
- Fixed rare instances of being unable to select text
- Fixed a couple of instances where the colour wheel wouldn't update properly
- Use different icon for Arrange/Alignment
- Fixed unusable transparent area left after cropping with New View 

- Fixed Surface Pro pen UI failures (requires Enable Pointer Support in User Interface Preferences)
- Fixed Vector export print and print preview differing from on-screen
- Fixed crash with multiple documents open when using pixel selections
- Fixed vector export so clipped-out transparencies will draw as transparent
- Fixed PDF export of embedded uncommon fonts
- Fixed OpenType MarkToLigature rendering incorrectly
- Fixed OpenType Contextual Alternatives displaying incorrectly with Levandria font
- Fixed crash in GlyphBrowser when fonts don't have a cmap table
- Fixed Type1 fonts being incorrectly embedded in PDFs
- Fixed failure to add symbols to some documents
- Fixed failure to load some .afpalette files
- Fixed alignment of some context bar items
- Fixed custom Export Presets not being remembered correctly
- Improved performance of Brush Editor dialog
- Fixed panels to allow expansion anywhere on the header, not just on the expansion arrow

- Fixed creating an analogous colour chord does not add the correct swatches 
- Fixed Colour picker loupe not displaying on second monitor 
- Fixed Panel groups do not revert size when dragged in and out of other groups 
- Fixed Document Setup does not reflect or change current "Actual Size" Zoom for "Web" type documents 

- Assorted PDF export improvements.
- Numerous other fixes and stability improvements.

Please do not post bugs or problems that you find when using this version of the software in this thread, instead make a new thread in the Bugs on Windows section

• Staff
4 minutes ago, Bernard2 said:

so when I go to download the new app .... will it just update my old app with the new features?

It will update straight over the top there is no need to uninstall AFAIK

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Hi MobanA,

To get this update, I simply followed  the "There is a new update available" message displayed when I opened my previous version of Affinity Designer (Windows). I had the option to acknowledge OK or download. This is how I found out there was a new version. I didn't need to go to a browser to get it. This suits me as I like to update programs when it suits me.  This message also appeared when I opened Affinity Photo though I haven't yet updated it.

• Staff
2 hours ago, MobinA said:

Will there be an auto update built into the application in the future, instead of having to download from the browser each time there is an update?

Eventually we do plan to add automatically downloaded updates to the Affinity Store versions, but for now the download is made through the browser when automatically prompted (as described by Silver06), yes. 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff
4 minutes ago, Silver06 said:

...  I didn't need to go to a browser to get it. 

Er, yes you did. That's what happens when you press the download button, it opens up a browser window, doesn't it? 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

link please?

I got the notice about 1.6.3 and installed it. BIG mistake. I can no longer run the program at all. every time it starts I get the box that says update available - ok/download. It doesn't matter what I click, the program instantly closes.

I did a "repair" - no change.

So now I am doing a complete uninstall. I don't know what happened but 1.6.3 just didn't work for me.

Sig

ok, got it. weird way to do it but I hit "buy" and then I found the sign in box so I could scroll to the bottom of the page and find the link to my account. There it showed all the products I've bought and under Affinity Designer it listed the latest version and not the one I originally bought. So starting over now.

geesh.

maybe a simple sign in link at the bottom for "returning customers"?

27 minutes ago, SigsCreations said:

ok, got it. weird way to do it but I hit "buy" and then I found the sign in box so I could scroll to the bottom of the page and find the link to my account. There it showed all the products I've bought and under Affinity Designer it listed the latest version and not the one I originally bought. So starting over now.

geesh.

maybe a simple sign in link at the bottom for "returning customers"?

Once you're signed in, your name is a link to your account. No scrolling needed. And if you simply go to affinity.store you should find a big "Have an Affinity Account? Sign in" notice/link at the top, in my experience.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Once you're signed in, your name is a link to your account. No scrolling needed. And if you simply go to affinity.store you should find a big "Have an Affinity Account? Sign in" notice/link at the top, in my experience.

That’s my experience too, for what it’s worth. As noted in another recent thread, if you click on a link to the Downloads & Product Keys page it shouldn’t matter matter whether or not you’re already logged in, but currently if you weren’t logged in you don’t get taken straight from the login page to your desired destination.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff
1 hour ago, Alfred said:

That’s my experience too, for what it’s worth. As noted in another recent thread, if you click on a link to the Downloads & Product Keys page it shouldn’t matter matter whether or not you’re already logged in, but currently if you weren’t logged in you don’t get taken straight from the login page to your desired destination.

This will be fixed in the next store roll out, subject to testing. 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd