You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi There,

I'm really frustrated as I was recommended Affinity Photo by a friend as my Photoshop license ran out.

ANY .eps file I open is blurry, pixelated etc. Its physically IMPOSSIBLE to work with. These files are from Shutterstock. Am I doing something wrong?

I've attached a print screen of a similar image and what I'm getting in Affinity.

EPS Files.png

originaleps.png

I would have thought you'd fair better with Affinity Designer using EPS files.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 hour ago, andrewjones764 said:

Hi There,

I'm really frustrated as I was recommended Affinity Photo by a friend as my Photoshop license ran out.

ANY .eps file I open is blurry, pixelated etc. Its physically IMPOSSIBLE to work with. These files are from Shutterstock. Am I doing something wrong?

I've attached a print screen of a similar image and what I'm getting in Affinity.

I did notice that the top image say's 150%. That would seem to indicate it was a very small (low resolution) EPS file to start with ?

If it's small to start with and you enlarge it it will be pixelated/blurry.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

11 minutes ago, toltec said:

I did notice that the top image say's 150%. That would seem to indicate it was a very small (low resolution) EPS file to start with ?

If it's small to start with and you enlarge it it will be pixelated/blurry.

It's a vector file. Lots of such stock art is made smaller than one may use it.

AD is just crappy at importing such AI-produced eps files is all.

53 minutes ago, MikeW said:

AD

AD? eps imported to APhoto! (vector data to pixel application).

Clearly, there will be a problem with resolution, that needs to be increased.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

Just now, Pšenda said:

AD? eps imported to APhoto! (vector data to pixel application).

Clearly, there will be a problem with resolution, that needs to be increased.

Oops. My bad. I didn't look at the screen shot, nor evidently read the post, well enough.

I suspect the file comes into PS just fine. At least one can create the size of canvas one needs and when placing vector content, can size it fine before committing. And these days, much remains as vector.

I haven't tried stock vector art in APhoto to know whether the above would work as per PS. Maybe I should...

This is what I get opening a ShutterStock eps in Photo.

Can't imagine that the OPs downloaded eps would be that small. We will see.

My guess is stroke vs fill? Or it's all gradients or images (or some other overall rasterized effect)? Hmmm, but even just a simple circle is way crazy, it would have to be miniscule.... I dunno.

5a9d7d24310ca_ScreenShot2018-03-05at12_20_05PM.thumb.png.f2a08aec003fb6b6295ab92a4a468100.png

thought I would make a short compare gif.

Compared.gif.f898acdab011941b0c21d2ff4edc47b0.gif

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Thanks for that. Will have to look again (right now on iPad) once back on desktop. I have thousands of book publshing image EPS files going back to the 80s and 45 MB Syquest disks, when size mattered and they saved disk space. At first glance with Affinity, they seemed deficient. Will investigate further!

Affinity seems to add more anti-aliasing 

12 hours ago, firstdefence said:

thought I would make a short compare gif.

Surely, for a comparison, you need at least two items to compare!

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

13 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

Surely, for a comparison, you need at least two items to compare!

John

Comparison is between how the eps file is resolved within each app, with affinity showing more anti-aliasing, so I have 2 items in Photoshop and Affinity Photo

1 minute ago, firstdefence said:

Comparison is between how the eps file is resolved within each app, with affinity showing more anti-aliasing, so I have 2 items in Photoshop and Affinity Photo

Sorry, using my tablet, I had not realized that there were two alternating images. Seems to work now OK though.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

On 5. März 2018 at 3:14 PM, andrewjones764 said:

what I'm getting in Affinity.

Seems AP only used the preview picture of the EPS file because AP could not interpret the real data. Can you try the same with (the trial of) AD (Affinity Designer)?

13 hours ago, Barry_Edmiston said:

Thanks for that. Will have to look again (right now on iPad) once back on desktop. I have thousands of book publshing image EPS files going back to the 80s and 45 MB Syquest disks, when size mattered and they saved disk space. At first glance with Affinity, they seemed deficient. Will investigate further!

Looking again, I see that they are in fact identical in size: 1904 x 1008 px.

How does it open in Affinity Designer vs Affinity Photo? As far as Affinity software goes, I use AD almost daily and have limited experience with AP by comparison. I recommend you open in AD since it's first and foremost a vector editor, scale up to the printable size you want, export as an AD file or even export a PSD and then bring into photo for other editing. That said, I feel like you'd do better editing this EPS in AD from start to finish so it remains a vector. There is a trial of AD to be had if you don't own it. Also, you should be able to download a PSD or at the very least a JPG of this image to use in AP from Shutterstock. 

@owenr yes the image origin is 0,0 in Photoshop. When I open the EPS in APh the image under the unnamed layer is set to 0,0 not 0,0.333

5aa0e25947e34_ScreenShot1.png.ad29594b3702adda1af49ea9a2f18b9f.png

1 hour ago, owenr said:

No, the true value for the Image object's origin Y is not 0 px.

If you set display precision for px to 3 decimal places, you'll see that Y is 0.333 px.

Then if you set it to 0 precisely, the image will be rendered the same as in your example of it in Photoshop.

Yes, confirmed, when compared after setting to 0,0 in APh it displays the same. 

5aa1223ea0351_ScreenShot3.png.7edf724cddff0c1d91de3b7f33ad9b0d.png

• 2 years later...