You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi all,

I recently downloaded the Affinity Photo trial and am thinking of switching from Photoshop to it. I am long PS user and am very used to the tools in it.

One thing I could not figure out to do (and I'm not sure if it's possible) is to select all layers when using the Wand tool. That's an option in Photoshop. It allows the Magic Wand tool to look at all layers combined when selecting something.

Is this possible in Affinity Photo? If so, how do I do it?

Thanks,
Colin

• Staff

Hi CPritchard and Welcome to the Forums,

11 hours ago, CPritchard said:

One thing I could not figure out to do (and I'm not sure if it's possible) is to select all layers when using the Wand tool.

Not possible at the moment but it has been requested before, so hopefully it's something that can be added at a later date.

13 hours ago, CPritchard said:

It allows the Magic Wand tool to look at all layers combined when selecting something.

One thing you could do is make a merged layer first. Right click in the layers panel and choose Merge Visible, so you end up with one combined layer on top. Then when you make a wand selection you are selecting from all layers (sort of). You could even selectively select by hiding one or two layers first.

Just hide or delete the merged layer afterwards, or not.

Obviously the usefulness of this this depends on what you want to select from all layers for, so it might not work for your needs.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

7 hours ago, toltec said:

One thing you could do is make a merged layer first. Right click in the layers panel and choose Merge Visible, so you end up with one combined layer on top. Then when you make a wand selection you are selecting from all layers (sort of). You could even selectively select by hiding one or two layers first.

Just hide or delete the merged layer afterwards, or not.

Obviously the usefulness of this this depends on what you want to select from all layers for, so it might not work for your needs.

Thanks for the tip @toltec. I will try that!