You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Workflow for APP on iPad using Apple Card Reader?

Everybody on this page, sharing this info — YOU ARE CHAMPIONS!   Thank you. @skiphunt you the best!

These are perfect for me, going to spend some time reading through it all. The Ravpower, iUSB, The Geekgo SD card Reader.

I just recently ordered a flash drive for my iPad: (returning it, when I receive it, need a SD card reader, was unaware, there was one can be used on iPad - thank you)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07874FD5S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks again everyone. This outta lighten the carry load and increase workflow tremendously!

Specs:

• iPad Pro 12.9 (2020 Model

— —- - - — - - - ——- - - —- - - - —- - - - - 

My Affinity Photo iPad Creations:

Urban Ninja vs. Drone || Folded Space || 1st Revolt

The problem with these things is they will eventually stop working when an IOS update comes in and the app supplier can’t be bothered to rebuild and restest or the IOS loophole is closed which means the technique it was using is no longer allowed. But I might be wrong.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

1 hour ago, Paul Mudditt said:

The problem with these things is they will eventually stop working when an IOS update comes in and the app supplier can’t be bothered to rebuild and restest or the IOS loophole is closed which means the technique it was using is no longer allowed. But I might be wrong.

I worry about this, too. Which is why I if I buy one, I won't sell my existing Apple card reader, stunted as it is.

10 hours ago, Paul Mudditt said:

Sure, best stick with a closed, hamstrung Apple sandbox that makes it very difficult to have simple file management... instead of taking a $17 risk for complete 2-way file access management on the outside small chance that it may not be compatible in a year.

For the ease of file access I’ve seen so far with the GeekGo and free iUSB Pro app... I’ll happily take that gamble. :)

3 hours ago, skiphunt said:

Sure, best stick with a closed, hamstrung Apple sandbox that makes it very difficult to have simple file management... instead of taking a $17 risk for complete 2-way file access management on the outside small chance that it may not be compatible in a year.

For the ease of file access I’ve seen so far with the GeekGo and free iUSB Pro app... I’ll happily take that gamble. :)

Skiphunt, it would be a no-brainer but for those in most of the EU, by the time you’ve paid for shipping outside the US and paid customs and excise, and suffered a weak exchange rate plus the commission costs, the total cost is more than double the price of the item. I might wait until a US buddy of mine can bring one over or if the situation drives me nuts I might take my chances. It is still good value for money but the sudden obsolescence risk is real, because we’ve seen it happen over and over with other 3rd party apps and hardware for Apple. Still, I’m very glad you brought our attention to an appealing solution.

5 hours ago, darkandlong said:

Skiphunt, it would be a no-brainer but for those in most of the EU, by the time you’ve paid for shipping outside the US and paid customs and excise, and suffered a weak exchange rate plus the commission costs, the total cost is more than double the price of the item. I might wait until a US buddy of mine can bring one over or if the situation drives me nuts I might take my chances. It is still good value for money but the sudden obsolescence risk is real, because we’ve seen it happen over and over with other 3rd party apps and hardware for Apple. Still, I’m very glad you brought our attention to an appealing solution.

Sure, I get that. I’ve lost my fair share of Apple iOS update induced obsolescence too. Actually, I was originally just after a possibly faster card reader that could not only transfer my photos and videos, but also audio recordings. I have the Apple card reader too and it ONLY supports interfacing with the camer roll. It doesn’t support audio files at all, so $17 was a no brainer. I was also pleasantly surprised that the free iUSB app works so well.

I’m thrilled with mine. If it only gets me through a trip or two, it’ll have more than been worth it in saved time alone. :)

All good. It may not be worth it for some of you. Just sharing the find.

19 hours ago, skiphunt said:

I never said it wasn't worth a punt since it was so cheap, so long as, people are aware what *may* happen then it might be a good purchase for them. Eyes wide open. I manage quite well with Apple USB adapter, IOS photos and iCloud Drive combination but then I do pay a few pounds a month for extra cloud storage which isn't for everyone I admit.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

On 3/12/2018 at 8:04 AM, Paul Mudditt said:

I never said it wasn't worth a punt since it was so cheap, so long as, people are aware what *may* happen then it might be a good purchase for them. Eyes wide open. I manage quite well with Apple USB adapter, IOS photos and iCloud Drive combination but then I do pay a few pounds a month for extra cloud storage which isn't for everyone I admit.

To reiterate from a previous post, my “punt” with the GeekGo had to do with getting a solution that could ALSO handle audio file transfer & management. It was only after that I discovered the GeekGo/iUSB Pro setup to be great in may other aspects as well.

If you were also interested in working with audio files on SD cards from external recording devices, your current Apple/iCloud would not suffice.

Otherwise... Whatever works.

For my own audio/video/photo file management needs, the GeekGo/iUSB Pro combo works out very well. :)