You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi everyone

I have recently expanded my photographic hobby into astrophotography. Some time ago I watched a tutorial on the stacking feature in Affinity and thought I would give it a crack with some images I've taken in the last three or four weeks.

I have to say that I am very happy with the the very first images I took and ran through Affinity. The process is somewhat quicker than dedicated stacking programs for astro but the results (for me) are very very satisfying.

I thought that perhaps those that are interested could post their images and discuss different processing techniques that they have used.

So I guess I'll get the ball rolling with my first astro edited with Affinity

Clear skies

D

Welcome to the forum Dingdong.

It would be nice to see the image in the forum itself, rather than having to download it and open the software, although it might not look as good in the forum as it would in the application.

Maybe you could give some information about equipment used - telescope, mount, camera, etc. - and how you modified the image.

This is a very low res version of the Orion nebula taken by my brother which I liked (I've emailed him for the full res one) and thought it was pretty impressive considering it's not particularly dark around here. But I know nothing about astro photography so it might not be. Is the blue bit above it the Running Man nebula?

He has a Skywatcher 200P telescope on an EQ5 Pro mount and took it with a Canon 550D. Looks like the mount costs as much if not more than the scope. Not sure of other details I would have to check with him.

facebook_1520539294518.jpg

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

On 3/5/2018 at 10:19 PM, GarryP said:

Welcome to the forum Dingdong.

It would be nice to see the image in the forum itself, rather than having to download it and open the software, although it might not look as good in the forum as it would in the application.

Maybe you could give some information about equipment used - telescope, mount, camera, etc. - and how you modified the image.

Hi Garry

I was a bit confused when it asked to attach the file and it ended up how it ended up - as a link!

How do you upload to the "forum".

Or does it have to be another format?

Once I get that nutted out I'll upload others with the info you suggest

Cheers Garry

D

2 minutes ago, Dingdong said:

does it have to be another format?

Yes, it does, because web browsers don’t understand proprietary formats such as *.afphoto. Try exporting it to JPEG, which will display directly in the browser (unlike TIFF, which wouldn’t).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

12 hours ago, VectorVonDoom said:

This is a very low res version of the Orion nebula taken by my brother which I liked (I've emailed him for the full res one) and thought it was pretty impressive considering it's not particularly dark around here. But I know nothing about astro photography so it might not be. Is the blue bit above it the Running Man nebula?

He has a Skywatcher 200P telescope on an EQ5 Pro mount and took it with a Canon 550D. Looks like the mount costs as much if not more than the scope. Not sure of other details I would have to check with him.

Hi

Thats awesome aye! I like how there appears to be depth in the nebular surrounding the stars.

Yes I think that is the Running Man. Ive only just started out in astro myself and according to everything Orion is where everyone starts off because its soo bright. I started there too but just a couple of stars away at the Flame Nebula. Ive managed a couple of goodies stacked in Affinity which I'll post once I figure out how.

They say that the mount is the most important thing and Ive found in my limited experience to be true. 

Thanks

D

5 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Yes, it does, because web browsers don’t understand proprietary formats such as *.afphoto. Try exporting it to JPEG, which will display directly in the browser (unlike TIFF, which wouldn’t).

Cheers I'll try that tonight

D

OK second try

This was my first crack at guided astro - Flame Nebula and Horsehead Nebula in Orion.

Mount:        SW EQ6R

Telescope:  SW ED 80 APO Esprit

Camera:     Canon D760

Image:        5x60 sec

Software:   Affinity Photo

So all the editing that I did was to increase the exposure setting and the Brightness and contrast settings - very minimal.

Alnitak180218.jpg

This is Carina Nebula. 04/03/18

Completely stacked and edited in Affinity Photo from 12x180sec RAW guided images from same kit as above. I do know that proper stacking software does create a cleaner sharper image but takes about thirty minutes. Affinity all done in about a minute.

Edit Settings:

Vibrance up all the way

Brightness up 24% - increased nebulosity

Contrast up 41% - reduced the noise (blackened black)

Thats it! Just mucking around finding out what adjustments suit. 

Carina Affinity stack+edit.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 3/9/2018 at 4:24 AM, VectorVonDoom said:

I managed this one of the Orion Nebula three weeks ago. Pretty washed out in the centre but still beautiful.

I stacked this in DSS and edited with Affinity Photo.

D5ae06ba17e8de_DSSAffinityedit.thumb.jpg.1c3160abc38ac86e2013295d811100c7.jpg

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Its been six months since my last image. This is a panorama of 19 stacks (6.3 hrs) of Antares and surrounding Clusters and Nebula taken last week. It was stitched in AP because I couldn't get PTGui to do it!?

Affinity Forums3ANTARES AFFPANOEDIT.jpg