Sign in to follow this  
MikeFromMesa

Plugin woes

I know that improvements have been made to the AP plugin functionality so yesterday I decided to try to add some plugins to AP. The results puzzled me.

1. I first added some plugin modules to the default plugin folder. When the plugins did not work I removed the modules from the default folder, but they continue to show up in the plugin dialog box. There are NO modules in the default folder, but here is a screen shot of the dialog box.

PluginDialogBox.jpg.05a877ba6fb9ed6ea70177738fda65e6.jpg

As you can see there are a great number of modules that show up as being in the default folder, but the folder itself is complete empty.

2. I then added some folders to the plugin search location, and you can see those, but none of the MacPhun Creative Kit plugins actually even start. If I load an image and call one of the plugins I get the dialog box saying that the plugin has started, but nothing ever actually runs and, because focus has been given to the non-running plugin I can do nothing with AP except kill the process.

If there is some way to address these issues I would appreciate it.

Hi MikeFromMesa

This is just a general issue we have with the MacPhun plug ins, they do not currently work with the app store version most likely due to the sandboxing. Hopefully an un sandboxed veriosn will be more available in the future which may solve some of these issues]

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

>  Hopefully an un sandboxed veriosn will be more available in the future which may solve some of these issue

I am sure an un-sandboxed version would solve all of these problems. So would the ability to call an external editor app and pass along a temp copy of the current image, since most of these plugins have an associated app that could be called instead (and that is how I use them from PhotoLab and/or CaptureOne).

But that does not address my concern as to why plugins are showing up even though they are not in the default folder.

Hi MikeFromMesa,

Regarding the plugins showing up for you, do you have any entry in the Plugins Search Folder section pointing to the Adobe Photoshop (or other host) plugins folder where multiple plugins may have also been installed? Affinity Photo may be picking them from there.

In the worst case remove them all from the Plugins Search Folder section and check if they still appear for you. If so launch the app with (ctrl) held down until a Clear User Data dialog appears. Remove the ticks for Don't restore window and documents and Reset Studio. Leave only Clear User Defaults checked then press Clear. This will clean the Affinity list.

do you have any entry in the Plugins Search Folder section

The folder was completely empty. There were no entries, including aliases or other links.

> remove them all from the Plugins Search Folder section and check if they still appear for you.

There was nothing to remove.

> This will clean the Affinity list.

That seems to have solved the problem.

Hi Mike,

I'm not sure i was clear enough. I was referring to the screenshot you attached to your first post. In Plugins Search Folders section on the top right there's several entries there (not all visible - there's a scrollbar on the right indicating there's more entries) which could be pointing to Adobe Photoshop plugins folder  (or other host) where multiple plugins may have also been installed. Affinity may be picking the plugins from these locations you are pointing to.

Removing all those entries from that section should have cleared the list on the left without the need to resort to the reset.

I was referring to the screenshot you attached

No. That was not clear to me.

However the screen shot I attached was taken after several tries at fixing the issue. Try 1 involved verifying that there were no entries in the default folder and then restarting AP.  Try 2 involved removing all of the entries from the Plugins Search Folder and then restarting AP. Try 3 involved putting some of those Plugins Search Folder entries back in and restarting AP.  It was after the 3rd try that I took the screen shot so it looked as though they might have had an effect. However the Plugin Search Folder only had entries for Topaz and MacPhun (now Skylum) plugins and nothing involving Luminar or Aurora, both of which were showing up in the defaults list.

Removing all those entries from that section should have cleared the list on the left without the need to resort to the reset.

As I indicated, it did not.

However the reset did.

6 minutes ago, MikeFromMesa said:

As I indicated, it did not.

However the reset did.

Did you restart the app after removing them? If there's no entries in the Plugins Search Folders section in the Preferences and no plugins in the Affinity Plugins default folder (/Users/USERNAME/Library/Containers/com.seriflabs.affinityphoto/Data/Library/Application Support/Plugins) the list should appear empty (don't forget to restart the app when you make changes otherwise the list will not be updated).

3 hours ago, MEB said:

Did you restart the app after removing them? If there's no entries in the Plugins Search Folders section in the Preferences and no plugins in the Affinity Plugins default folder (/Users/USERNAME/Library/Containers/com.seriflabs.affinityphoto/Data/Library/Application Support/Plugins) the list should appear empty (don't forget to restart the app when you make changes otherwise the list will not be updated).

Yes. I restarted the app. As I wrote in the previous response:

Try 2 involved removing all of the entries from the Plugins Search Folder and then restarting AP.

However it does not matter at this point as the reset fixed the issue.