You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am trying to use a macro. The steps used are

duplicate layer, apply dust and scratches, mask the layer, invert the mask.

I can then use the brush (with white on top) to brush the effect back on. I use this to paint away backscatter in underwater pictures. The original tutorial I used (but aimed at photoshop) uses the history brush but I cant macro that.

When I try to make the filter parameters adaptable, the preview given is only for the entire macro (not only the filter), which because it will also invert the mask, will just display the original photo. Also there is 'generating macro preview' popup window that is considerably slower then the dust and scratches itself.

is there any way to force the macro to give the example of the filter instead of the entire macro.

PS If I try it with a live filter, the settings stick to 0 and 0, even though I set it to a setting when recording the macro. If I try then to edit the macro to set 20 and 2% as a default setting, then affinity crashes.

What you need is a way to pause the macro but that does not exist

What you can do is record the following in a macro

Duplicate the layer
Add Mask
Invert Mask
Switch off visibility of Mask
Select the Duplicated layer
Add Live Dust & Scratches filter
Modify the Filter's settings

Within the macro make the filter parameters adaptable then when you run the macro you can see and adjust the filter's effect, once adjusted just switch on the hidden Mask layer and paint in White on that layer to brush the effect back on.

(if you get stuck with this post back)

PS Not sure why your Affinity is crashing,  what version are you running?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Hi Carl

Thanks,

it does work, although the live filter is now semi live (it only starts giving the preview when you release the slider)

I would be allright if I could give the live filter a starter value and edit this later (but even when you record a value, it wont stick in the macro).

my version is 1.6.2.97

21 minutes ago, Cerianthus said:

...(it only starts giving the preview when you release the slider)

Rather than using the slider,  you can use the up and down arrow keys in the value boxes, the results are instant

Use Shift + Arrow Keys to increase/decrease the increment by 10
Use CTRL + Arrow Keys to increase/decrease the increment by 0.1

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

8 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Use CTRL + Arrow Keys to increase/decrease the increment by 0.1

On macOS you'd need to change the system shortcuts, as by default ctrl+[up arrow] invokes Mission Control and ctrl+[down arrow] displays application windows.

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

5 hours ago, h_d said:

On macOS you'd need to change the system shortcuts, as by default ctrl+[up arrow] invokes Mission Control and ctrl+[down arrow] displays application windows.

For the Mac OS, Alt/Option + up/down arrow sets the increment/decrement to 0.1 & Shift + up/down arrow sets it to 10. But for some reason Alt/Option does not work for the Tolerance % setting, while Shift does.

Go figure.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

For the Mac OS, Alt/Option + up/down arrow sets the increment/decrement to 0.1

It seems to be a bit hit and miss. For example in my HSL adjustment dialog, Alt/Option + Up or Down arrow works for Hue Shift, but not for any of the other settings. 

5a9c79ac1ad29_ScreenShot2018-03-04at22_52_00.png.1836596af1589f7b4463ae5417099e8b.png 

(Shift on its own works fine for all four).

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

Just now, h_d said:

It seems to be a bit hit and miss.

It does indeed. I haven't checked everything but it seems like Alt/Option does not work for % entries but does for other stuff.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

In many cases (at least on my machine and AP 1.6.7), you can't enter decimal increments manually, let alone using the arrow keys.

Type in "82.3" or "56.8" (for example) in a percentage field and then press Enter, and the figure is immediately rounded down or up to the nearest whole number. In these cases, using alt/option + up or down arrow simply bounces the cursor from one end of the input field to the other.