You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Reversing editing actions

Hi,

I have been editing with the healing brush for a small area. I wasn’t totally happy with result. Tried using cloning tool to refine it. Made things worse. How do I reverse the actions. The ‘undo’ does not respond effectively, in any case it could take a lot of tapping. I opened history hoping to find somethin there. I don’t really want to delete the photo having done some other acceptable work with it, but may have to.

Help please, gratefully received. I’m a novice with Affinity, used to working with PSE.

Thanks

• Staff

Hi Zacl,

The last steps you took should of been listed on the History Panel and it's just a case of tapping the action before you started using the Healing Brush and that action is undone.  If you've exported the work out and re-opened the JPG file then the History Panel would be blank, as this is a new image.  

You also have the little icons above the ? Bottom right of screen. The left pointing icon 'undo's', the right pointing icon 'redo's'. You can undo multiple steps too. Just keep tapping the icon. 

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your suggestions.

I've used the 'undo'. There was quite a lot of healing and cloning. I am wondering if this is why the 'undo' is not very effective.  Not all the healing stuff is last steps. I'm not having any luck with either the 'undo' or the tapping the action previous to using either the clone tool or the healing brush.  I would have hoped that the unwanted steps might have disappeared. Is there anything else that could work?

At the bottom of the history panel there is a white circle, which can be moved left or right. What is that for? 

Thanks for your help. 

• Staff
17 hours ago, Zacl said:

At the bottom of the history panel there is a white circle, which can be moved left or right. What is that for? 

That will move the History list up or down.

It's always going to be tricky to undo an action after you've carried out several other edits on top. 

So even after tapping the step before you used the Clone tool, you can still see the cloned item in place, just that doesn't happen for me.  

In Affinity, can you tap on the Document menu and select Save As Copy and on the Window that opens, enable Save History and save a copy of that.  If you could then upload it to our Dropbox here and i'll take a look at whats happening.

Hi,

it is very kind offer Stokerg, thank you.  I will try to send you my ‘tricky’ efforts. It is a learning operation, me being a newbie with Affinity for iPad. There may well be other methods for doing what I attempted, which, as yet, I know nothing of.

If I encounter any difficulties with the transmission processes, I’ll let you know.

Z

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Stokerg,

Finally, I figured a way to submit the pic. I hope it suits. Reading the Dropbox information, It  said that .af is not a supported format by Dropbox. I saved the picture as a .jpeg with all the embedded data. So, all being well.....

Thank you.

Zacl