You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Easy templates for simple trifold brochures

Hi Affinity Forum Members,  Maybe I have got the wrong end of the stick but I think that DESIGNER means a programme that I can design leaflets etc in easily.  Therefore my logic says go to new document setup and find the A4 trifold template and set it in Landscape, press the enter key and a template should load for front and back pages.

Am I asking too much from a programme labeled 'DESIGNER'

I can't find such a new document set up !!!!   OK then what about being able to load a blank new template which has the cutting margins, folds and text areas set up for  trifold landscape new document......................

My grey cells are depreciating by the hour and I would appreciate all the help in organising documents so I can just place and insert text and images easily.

Await forum help on the above issue please.

John Skelton in Slovak Republic

You need to create your own templates. For a standard trifold leaflet to be printed on A4, start with a pair of A4 landscape artboards and add guides (one third and two thirds of the way across). Create the text frames you need, save the document with a suitable name and then ‘Save As...’ to a new name whenever you want to design a new leaflet.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hi Alfred,  Thanks for your help.  I would happily 'BUY' a series of templates to save me having to learn about 'ARTBOARDS' and other setting up procedures. 

Fifty five years ago I was an apprentice letterpress printer working with the old Gutenberg process of pieces of lead spacing and cast lead typefaces.  I was not the page compositor.  When I wanted something prepared for printing I gave the details to my equivalent in the compositing department and the work was prepared and sent to me, locked in a metal frame, to put on the machine. 

Seriously at the age of 70 and a half, my grey cells are becoming slow, blurry and getting less and less receptive to battering my brain into action.  

Nevertheless I will try to get the artboards created as you suggest.  

Just as an aside, I can still remember the first 4 colour picture I was allowed to print when I was about 18 years old.  4 photographically etched copper plates (which cost a fortune to produce) had to be printed on 'fine art paper' in sequence with incredibly accurate precision.  It took me about a week to print off 500 or so copies.  The image has stuck in my mind.  It was of a Grey Heron poised to catch a fish in the river.  Sadly I don't have a copy of this work.

Best regards John Edwin Skelton in exile in Slovakia

If the idea of using artboards sounds too daunting, John, you can just stick to using layers. If necessary, you could even put the artwork for each of the two spreads in a separate file.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hi John,

I quickly assembled an empty template with the following measurements:

A4, trifold, each side 2 pages with 100mm width, 1 page with 97 mm, 3 mm bleed all around.

Careful: I have placed (and named) the front page (= dartboard) at the BOTTOM, so that the pages are in the right order when you create a PDF for printing.

Also make sure to delete the blue boxes before printing it.

When printing, simply select "crop marks" in the PDF settings and make sure that the bleed is included.

Hope, this helps. :)

a4_trifold_template.afdesign

Hi Guys,  I am eternally grateful to the help so far.  I have made a start on making  ' ARTBOARDS '  I can appreciate the reason for using this process.  But I have made some errors in my work flow already.  I will now make a new start using the template kindly provided by Jens Krebs. 

I am trying to help a local Slovak Artist gain some international recognition.  The local Art Circles here are really a bit snobbish and if you have not been to Art College or passed a University degree course, then they just ignore talent outside their inner circles.   

When I have my mock up ready I will try to remember to post back with a copy of my first Trifold leaflet composition.  In my time as a Letterpress printer, I have literally printed many tens of thousands if not a couple of million of them, without giving a moments thought as to how they were laid out by the compositors.  

Best regards to the forum members again for the help so far.  John Edwin in freezing Banska Bystrica in the Slovak Republic.

• 4 months later...
On 3/3/2018 at 5:23 PM, Jens Krebs said:

Hi John,

A4, trifold, each side 2 pages with 100mm width, 1 page with 97 mm, 3 mm bleed all around.

Careful: I have placed (and named) the front page (= dartboard) at the BOTTOM, so that the pages are in the right order when you create a PDF for printing.

When printing, simply select "crop marks" in the PDF settings and make sure that the bleed is included.

a4_trifold_template.afdesign

Thanks a lot!

• 9 months later...

I agree with KitKat1947 here:

We can have 1 million people create a trifold template or the folks at Affinity can do it for the 1 million and add it to an already extensive list that they have for page and document setups! I mean even MS Publisher has a trifold option. If you want to compete with your competitors or surpass them, then add this stuff... However I did find this on the web. Hopefully someone can tell me if it will work please? Credit to https://www.orbprint.co.uk/template/a4t.pdf for the template

a4_TriFold.pdf

On 5/23/2019 at 12:32 PM, Fixx said:

I guess Affinity could start a resource page where people could upload their templates and stuff.

Meanwhile, waiting for this to happen, I'd like to help @KitKat1947 by sharing this link where he can buy some templates:

https://creativemarket.com/

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

• 1 year later...
On 3/3/2018 at 8:53 PM, Jens Krebs said:

Hi John,

a4_trifold_template.afdesign 6.35 kB · 160 downloads

Hi,  Can anyone recommend a cover page template for linkedIn and blogs

On 3/3/2018 at 8:53 PM, Jens Krebs said:

Hi John,

a4_trifold_template.afdesign 6.35 kB · 161 downloads

HI, ANY TEMPLATES for Flyers, Simple Brochures, Cover page templates for LinkedIn.