You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Being able to create pixel shift pictures (like sony A7Riii)

Hey everybody, 

I'm using Affinity for more than 6 months now, and loving or do much thanks you !

I'm now thinking about buying a full frame camera! Sony seems to be a interesting choice now! 

I'm seeing that Sony have two really similar cameras : A7RII and A7RIII ! The difference ? Mainly one, the new "pixel shift mode" on the A7RIII, which is quite impressive, but I'm not sure it's justificating the 1000 $ difference. 

What's pixel shift ? Well, as I understood, it's a mode alowing you taking 4 pictures (same pics, with tripode), and combining them into one way sharper, more details !

Well, I feel that, maybe, I could but the A7RII and make my own pixel shift via affinity ! But would it work ? How would you make it work ? Would the developers need to add a new feature to make it work ?

Pixel shift is a really interesting mode, it would be so amazing if we could have the posibility to create it via the software 

And it would make me save 1000 $ 

Please help 

Thanks 

Regards, 

Ken.

5 hours ago, Ken Lecoq said:

make my own pixel shift via affinity ! But would it work ?

NO.

If shift in editor, it is multiple the "same" information or your approximation.

If shift in cameras, it is multiple image information - more "real" details. 

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

Yes you can do it but you have to shoot handheld and burst mode. Doesn't work with moving subjects so well, but of course one can clean up the composite using the low-res data from a single frame... Anyhow, Youtube "Superresolution" You can prolly do it in APhoto as it has an align/stack function like PS.... would be nice to have a Macro for that...

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

Thanks à lot !

If I put the camera on a tripode, and shoot 4 of the same picture in rafale, could I mouve them via affinity photo, one pixel only, and put them togeather to have those sharp details ? Could ne sont cool to have a easy way to do it.. 

Like a macro,

Could you explain just a bit better how you would put them togeather ? I'll try with m'y Olympus.

(I just don't see clearly how to do it ^^')

You're right, 42mp is crazy, 24 is way better, I'll bé buying thé A7iii too instead ! 

I was thinking about still pictures if course, like big landscapes.

Thanks again 

2 hours ago, ronnyb said:

Yes you can do it but you have to shoot handheld and burst mode. Doesn't work with moving subjects so well, but of course one can clean up the composite using the low-res data from a single frame... Anyhow, Youtube "Superresolution" You can prolly do it in APhoto as it has an align/stack function like PS.... would be nice to have a Macro for that...

Capture d'écrans_20180304-141026.png

You can use a tripod but you will need to lightly bump it between exposures. From what i read it takes about 15 exposures or so. Again Youtube: “Super Resolution” there are quite a few tutorials

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

On 3/3/2018 at 10:32 AM, Ken Lecoq said:

Well, I feel that, maybe, I could but the A7RII and make my own pixel shift via affinity ! But would it work ?

I've been working with pixel-shift (previously known as multi-shot) since the year 2000.  In answer to your question ... No.

Pixel-shift works by moving the chip by 1 or 0.5 pixel increments, in order to capture full-colour at each and every pixel site.  This is because of the way a Bayer Pattern works.  Each pixel has only one colour (RGGB).  When you take a picture, the Bayer demosaicing 'interpolates' (makes up) the missing colour for the varying pixels according to their colour (RGGB).  This process can only be done at the chip/demosaicing stage.  It is not the same as having 4 images and blending them together, although as it happens, blending several images together will reduce noise.  This is because noise is random and so is equalised (reduced) when several images are blended together.

What pixel-shift gives you, is a non-interpolated, pure colour image.  It is only useable for stationary subjects, although the Pentax K-1 (and new K-11) can automatically replace movement artefacts, by replacing those areas with one of the 4 single-shot files that are used to produce the pixel-shift image.

Grumpy, but faithful (watch out all you cats)

Here's a link to a tutorial to try it yourself. Obviously it's not the same as in-camera hardware, nevertheless, in certain situations (landscapes) it might be useful....

Photon Collective Super Resolution

Can you imagine this SW Super resolution made with HW pixel-shift shots :-)

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/4/2018 at 2:05 PM, Pšenda said:

Can you imagine this SW Super resolution made with HW pixel-shift shots :-)

1 ZILLION Gigapixels!!! (Dr. Evil)