Raymond Larabie

2.5 minute startup time

I have a reasonably powerful Windows 10 PC (64-bit) and it takes about 2.5 minutes to start Designer or Photo. I have a large number of fonts installed but that's necessary to because I'm a font designer. I'm often dealing with font specimens and I need them all there. Is there are way to reduce loading lime besides reducing the number of installed fonts? Would it make much of a difference if it was installed on a SSD?

5 hours ago, Raymond Larabie said:

I have a reasonably powerful Windows 10 PC (64-bit) and it takes about 2.5 minutes to start Designer or Photo. I have a large number of fonts installed but that's necessary to because I'm a font designer. I'm often dealing with font specimens and I need them all there. Is there are way to reduce loading lime besides reducing the number of installed fonts? Would it make much of a difference if it was installed on a SSD?

We're going to be looking at improving startup performance for customers with large numbers of fonts. Unfortunately the only way to reduce startup time currently is to reduce the number of installed fonts - which obviously isn't useful for you.

I mean to have read here in the forum,
that some users have significantly reduced the loading time of the program by using a font manager (eg Freeware NexusFont)
it's worth a try

Affinity Photo 1.6.5.135 :  Affinity Photo-Beta  1.7.0.243 :     Affinity Designer 1.6.5.135 : Affinity Designer-Beta 1.7.0.243.

Affinity Publisher-Beta 1.7.0.249       Windows 10 Pro  ( Version  1809 Build 17763.316)

5 minutes ago, Gnobelix said:

I mean to have read here in the forum,
that some users have significantly reduced the loading time of the program by using a font manager (eg Freeware NexusFont)
it's worth a try

The problem with this is that for users like the OP (welcome, Ray!) the waiting time is simply postponed if you uninstall most of your fonts for a quicker program startup. You’ll still have a long delay while the font cache is updated when you load those fonts later on.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.11.85 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45 • iOS 12.1.1 (iPad Air 2)

Thanks for the advice, everyone. Maybe with a font manager, I can at least reduce the number of fonts when I'm not dealing with font specimens.

@Mark Ingram

When you're implementing a font cache, please make it fairly easy for users to manually clear out the font cache. Here's a situation that often happens with me: I create a large font family but there's a metadata error in one of the members of the family. If could be a Panose ID number that was wrong, a missing bold or italic flag. This can cause the font menu to get messed up. When the font is repaired and updated, I need a way to force the application to rebuild the entire cache. With Adobe apps, I have to go deep into system folders to manually delete the cache file. Not such a big deal but it's a problem when I need to tell customers how to find their cache file which can be a different location for each version and platform. So try not to bury the cache too deep if possible and give it an obvious name.

On 04/03/2018 at 10:11 PM, walt.farrell said:

Where in Preferences? (On Windows)

Good question, Walt! I searched in vain after reading the following post a few minutes ago:

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer 1.6.5.123 • Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.6.11.85 • Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45 • iOS 12.1.1 (iPad Air 2)

The APh help about prefs tells ...

APh preferences -> Miscellaneous options
  • Your current Fills, Brushes, Object Styles, User Defaults and Fonts can be reset to factory defaults.

Other than that there are also general OS ways on Windows to clear and rebuild the Win OS font caches. - See for example:

• How To Rebuild Font Cache in Windows 10

• Rebuild Font Cache in Windows 10

How to reset Font settings in Windows 10

1. Press Windows key + R to open the Run dialog. Type services.msc and press Enter
    2. Select the service named Windows Presentation Foundation Font Cache 3.0.0.0 and click on the stop button in the toolbar. (If this service is not running, then there is no need to stop the service).
    3. Press Windows key  + R. Type %WinDir%\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData and press Enter.
    4. Click on the Continue button to gain permissions.
    5. Double-click on the sub-folder named Local. Inside the Local folder, you would find several files which have their names starting with ~FontCache-. Select all these files and delete them. Do not delete any folders even if they are empty.
    6. Reboot your computer. When Windows restarts, it will rebuild a new font cache. Now you should not see any misplaced or strange font’s issues.

... and so on.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.6.1 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.6.7 ◆ OSX El Capitan

On 3.3.2018 at 10:37 AM, Mark Ingram said:

We're going to be looking at improving startup performance for customers with large numbers of fonts. Unfortunately the only way to reduce startup time currently is to reduce the number of installed fonts - which obviously isn't useful for you.

This isn't a solution! Photoshop start's in 10% auf the time. Keep on pushing!!!!

No one needs a photo program if he have to delete fonts!