You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

19 minutes ago, btolle89 said:

under adjustments on the right, you could use the "exposure" adjustment to make the color white, and then the "black and white" to touch up the edges. you could do similarly with the "levels" adjustment

Thanks for the help but I can't find what you mean. Could you send me a link to a video where this is shown or with pictures?

Do you mean separate the crown and turn the background white ?

crown.jpg.663be4eca528ea88dc8f7b94ce47d2bd.jpg

You really need Affinity Photo for that sort of thing. Quite easy to do but the image is very low resolution

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Just now, toltec said:

Do you mean separate the crown and turn the background white ?

crown.jpg.663be4eca528ea88dc8f7b94ce47d2bd.jpg

You really need Affinity Photo for that sort of thing. Quite easy to do but the image is very low resolution

No, I want black to turn white.

14 hours ago, owenr said:

Here's one way to do it in Designer (or Photo): black to white.afdesign

white.png.94428f86a9e5d8915ef869baec88df47.png

I tried that route but gave up as it seemed over complicated (for me, anyway). Life is too short and all that.

I actually used the Contrast Negate layer blend mode which would have been absolutely, completely, the very first time I even knew what it could do, let alone actually use it for anything. It gave very similar results to what you achieved. I will find a use for it one day, maybe.

2 minutes ago, owenr said:

Life is too short? It takes a few seconds to create my file.

Your method produced an ugly grey fringe around the crown.

Anyway, I wanted to show that the project can be done in Designer after you stated that Photo would be needed instead.

No, I like your method, I couldn't get it to work for me. 

I was only mentioning the Contrast negate method because I still can't quite figure out what to use it for.

• 1 year later...

I used a screengrab program, but you could use the Crop tool (press C) in Photo.

If it is a PNG file that you open, press Ctrl + S to save and it will save back as a PNG. 

However, if you add a layer it won't, it will want to save as an .afphoto file.

In that case, go File > Export and just choose .PNG.

On 5/27/2019 at 3:27 PM, Gretchen7 said:

I used a screengrab program, but you could use the Crop tool (press C) in Photo.

If it is a PNG file that you open, press Ctrl + S to save and it will save back as a PNG. 

However, if you add a layer it won't, it will want to save as an .afphoto file. tellpopeyes

In that case, go File > Export and just choose .PNG.

couldn't get it to work for me. 

Has anyone noticed that there is a bit missing from the crown?

bit-missing-from-crown.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

13 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Has anyone noticed that there is a bit missing from the crown?

Yes, you have! Well spotted. :)

There are several other irregularities. For example, the middle column of white ‘circles’ has some of them joined up, and the one at the bottom of the right-hand column has that sort of club ♣ shape protruding into it.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 minute ago, Alfred said:

Yes, you have! Well spotted. :)

There are several other irregularities. For example, the middle column of white ‘circles’ has some of them joined up, and the one at the bottom of the right-hand column has that sort of club ♣ shape protruding into it.

looks like a bad trace, would be better just redoing it as a vector. Or just create your own crown and be King of the vectors, breaker of the trace, ruler of the pixels and the vectors and protector of the pure form B|

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

On 5/29/2019 at 3:45 AM, firstdefence said:

looks like a bad trace, would be better just redoing it as a vector. Or just create your own crown and be King of the vectors, breaker of the trace, ruler of the pixels and the vectors and protector of the pure form B|

@firstdefence I've read you give this same recommendation in other threads. I suspect you're exactly spot-on with this. I'm very new to vector creation software such as Affinity Designer, but I really love what it's able to deliver for the few use cases I have for it. I only wish I was as proficient with Designer as I am with Photo (even 1/4 as proficient would be fairly awesome for my needs). Even creating a seemingly simple crown like this seems far, far beyond me. 

But I'm slowly learning new skills and capabilities with it. Thank you for the motivation to get out of a comfort zone!   :) 

29 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

@firstdefence I've read you give this same recommendation in other threads. I suspect you're exactly spot-on with this. I'm very new to vector creation software such as Affinity Designer, but I really love what it's able to deliver for the few use cases I have for it. I only wish I was as proficient with Designer as I am with Photo (even 1/4 as proficient would be fairly awesome for my needs). Even creating a seemingly simple crown like this seems far, far beyond me. 

But I'm slowly learning new skills and capabilities with it. Thank you for the motivation to get out of a comfort zone!   :) 

Your welcome. :D