jbuss

Font List Locks Designer

I just updated Affinity Designer to v1.6.1 in the 'App Store'. I'm using macOS 10.13.3. Once I attempt to change/choose fonts by clicking the drop down list, Affinity Designer locks up. I've even disabled all User fonts (just in case). I've even uninstalled/reinstalled the app.

Hey jbuss,

I've seen another user post the same issue. I've asked them to disable User fonts but I have a feeling that might not help if it didn't help you. I'll go and speak to development to see if they have any ideas. While I do that, can you go to Preferences > Miscellaneous > Reset Fonts. 

Hey MrJACK,

Development are not aware of any changes that may be causing this issue but there were some specific font related fixes which I believe were for font tables (so we can read more fonts correctly). 

Two things I'd like you to try:

1. Close the app > Hold ctrl > Launch app with ctrl held > Click 'Clear' - This will reset the app

2. Go to the Text menu item > Show Text Styles > Click 'Create Paragraph Style' (icon at the bottom left of the Text Styles panel) > In the new dialog, click Font > Font family. This issues the old font menu so I'd be interested to see if that crashes it. 

Can you also confirm what language locale your Mac is set to. 

yes it solves the problem, my language on mac was french, my font menu is back... 

SORRY ! doesn't solve... i try to open a file, and the problem is back.... it solve it for a new file... seems to work, but not with a file created when the problem was active... 

SORRY ! doesn't solve... i try to open a file, and the problem is back.... it solve it for a new file... seems to work, but not with a file created when the problem was active... 

one more thing : opening the "Clain Vision" file, Copy All contents on a new document (350mmx200mm), save it on a new document  and bug disappear for this document... 

i don't know if it can help

Thanks for the extra info. I set my Mac to French as well as the app to French and I still cannot reproduce it. However the info you have provided should be really useful for development. 

Yeah, both. I tried changing all the fonts for each individual text frame. I'm going to keep poking it... It's just very odd. Especially since copying it to a new document also relieves the issue. There has to be some strange formatting options somewhere. 

@jbuss Are you using an external monitor at all? We believe the crash may be being caused by this, so if you're using closed-clamshell mode the app will crash when drawing the font chooser. 

11 hours ago, SpartyNC said:

I am having this same problem as well. Tried the steps outlined here and am still unable to progress.

Are you on a mac pro 2013 too? 

Try selecting caractère by the palet tool see pict joined. it works for me... but i 'm still unable to use the standard menu... 

Capture d’écran 2018-07-18 à 08.55.41.png

On 7/18/2018 at 2:54 AM, MrJACK said:

Are you on a mac pro 2013 too? 

No, 2016 Macbook Pro Retina 15.

Clearing Cache, Resetting Font, and Restart took care of it finally. PHEW! 

I'm seeing this problem on my Mac Pro 2013 connected to an external 4K monitor over Thunderbolt. If I start some paragraph text, drop a few words in then attempt to select the font chooser to change the font, Designer freezes. Even trying to choose a font from the Character pallette tool too, same thing, just freezes.  I've done the ctrl+restart to clear out all the custom settings etc, no cigar.

When is the next beta out which is fabled to fix this issue, it's driving me around the bend not being able to choose a font other than Arial!

I am on a MBP 15". Using a nifty app called QuickRes, I usually work with the resolution boosted to 2880x1800 (my eyes are good enough, and 'more space' often just doesn't cut it on such a small screen). This crashes AD as soon as I click the font dropdown arrow. Scaling down the resolution to 2560*1600 and restarting the app solved the issue for me. 

Edit: The new beta seems to solved the issue here as well! Awesome work guys B|