You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Help!! Artboard, crop marks and bleed edge problems

It has a "scale" by percentage, but the preview is useless. When selecting borderless, the preview shows that the crop marks reach the edge. At that point you would think it would print the way it looks, but when printed it enlarges the entire image and still has a border.

In God's Harmony

3 hours ago, chelcod said:

Hello!  I am having issues with Affinity Designer not exporting the crop marks properly on a booklet I'm trying to send to print.  The bleeds are not working properly.  Each finished page is 7" x 10" and I am trying to export bleeds and crop marks at .125" around each edge.  I tried transforming each page to 7.25 x 10.25 thinking maybe I had to take account of the bleeds in the page size, but that didn't seem to work either.  

I am on a tight timeline to send to print and I am unable to fix this myself.  Is anyone able to help?

Hiya @chelcod!

i was having this exact same issue when I started this thread. @toltec showed me how to achieve a bleed - although I wasn’t using an artboard, i was just using a regular document setup. Here’s what I had to do:

1. set your document size to the proper size (in your case, 10” by 7”).

2. Then select all the layers within your document and stretch them out past the document size to be 10.125” and 7.125” (that’s if you’ve set your bleed to .125.)

3. Make sure your bleed is set to .125.

4. When printing, turn on bleed and crop marks and export. If you are confused by what I mean, go and open my test file above when I posted “I did it” - you’ll see what I mean about stretching the layers out past the document background to create the bleed room. 

Edit— I actually remember now reading above that @toltec said bleeds and crops don’t work on an artboard. Could you just set up a regular document instead?

i remember the thing I wasn’t doing  was making my images on the document bigger than the document size (which is step 2 above) which is why my bleed wasn’t working - you need to have the images sit slightly outside your document size to act as the bleed area. 

Does this help?

4 hours ago, jemmalee said:

Hiya @chelcod!

i was having this exact same issue when I started this thread. @toltec showed me how to achieve a bleed - although I wasn’t using an artboard, i was just using a regular document setup. Here’s what I had to do:

1. set your document size to the proper size (in your case, 10” by 7”).

2. Then select all the layers within your document and stretch them out past the document size to be 10.125” and 7.125” (that’s if you’ve set your bleed to .125.)

3. Make sure your bleed is set to .125.

4. When printing, turn on bleed and crop marks and export. If you are confused by what I mean, go and open my test file above when I posted “I did it” - you’ll see what I mean about stretching the layers out past the document background to create the bleed room. 

Edit— I actually remember now reading above that @toltec said bleeds and crops don’t work on an artboard. Could you just set up a regular document instead?

i remember the thing I wasn’t doing  was making my images on the document bigger than the document size (which is step 2 above) which is why my bleed wasn’t working - you need to have the images sit slightly outside your document size to act as the bleed area. 

Does this help?

I tried to grab all of my layers and resize but they won't extend past the artboard, they resize the artboard.  SO FRUSTRATING!

@chelcod after your post, I opened up a new artboard with one of my invitation suites and tried out doing a bleed and exporting and I worked it out! I’m now able to set bleed on all docs within the artboard , place images & export with bleed and crop marks. Just curious to see if you worked it out too?