You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Help!! Artboard, crop marks and bleed edge problems

Hi everyone!

So I am new to Affinity Designer. 

I wish to export one artboard A4 page with two picture files inserted (see attached screenshot), with a 1.5mm bleed edge per photo and crop marks for each photo? I want to export the A4 page as PDF so I can send multiple PDF pages to the professional printing place and they can print them for me and then all I have to do is cut them using the crop marks.

I've been playing around and I can't work it out... I'm seriously ready to throw my mac out the window!

Thanks in advance!

Jemma :)

Screen Shot 2018-03-02 at 12.03.33 AM.png

What isn't working ? There is an issue (aka bug) when two artboards are put together to do with bleed, but there is no part of your images that bleed off the page.

So, why do you want bleed when there is nothing to bleed or are there other images you need.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Just now, toltec said:

What isn't working ? There is an issue (aka bug) when two artboards are put together to do with bleed, but there is no part of your images that bleed off the page.

So, why do you want bleed when there is nothing to bleed or are there other images you need.

The line leading up to "Kate" and the line leading away from "Luke" are to run off the page so that when I trim them, they definitely go to the edge of the page and don't stop before the edge of the page. I was advised by my printer that I need a bleed for these invites to ensure that the black lines definitely run off the page because any movement in the printing can cause the line to stop before the trimmed area. This actually happened on one of the samples that I tried printing.  

10 minutes ago, toltec said:

Toltec, this is what I mean. I've used the margins as the bleed edge to show you what I mean, see how the black lines run off the page? 

Screen Shot 2018-03-02 at 12.38.09 AM.png

OK, fair enough. You won't be able to solve it with Artboards.

I suggest that what you do is make a normal page the size of two images with crops, like this, and just drop the images in place. And do it the old fashioned way.

twopage.thumb.jpg.ba7229c1f74550a4739e74efb1f44275.jpg

Life is too short and the file is very simple.

I have attached the Designer file so you can see how I did the crops. The printer will be happy with that, I am a former printer myself and did literally hundreds of files that way.

Just remember not to add extra crop marks when you output, as they are already in the page. Us printers are easily confused ;)

twoup.afdesign

@JimmyJack nah they're two different invites (they are addressed to two different couples).

I created an A4 artboard (because I want to eventually print on A4 with two different invites on the same page), then I inserted the two different invites but then I couldn't work out how to get crop marks for both invites with a bleed edge. From what @toltec was saying, it sounds like I can't put crop marks on an dartboard when theres two or more pieces. @toltec has posted a AD file of an A4 page with crop marks already inserted, now I just need to work out how the hell he did that!!!

@JimmyJack in addition to your post, I tried just playing with one invite and seeing how I could get a bleed edge with crop marks to the actual size, but everytime I exported, the crop marks were outside the bleed! I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I actually have some RSVPs, 

1. Firstly, I created a new document the size of the invites including the bleed edge. 

1. New document.png

The size of the invite is actually 12.9cm x 18cm. So including the 1.5mm bleed, the size goes up to 13.2cm by 18.3cm. So I created the document size using the 13.2cm x 18.3cm. 

2. Then I inserted the invite, which covers the whole document size (it's preset at 13.2 x 18.3). 

2. Insert invite into document.png

3. Then I went into document set up and set the bleed to 0.15cm (15mm). 

3. Set bleed.png

4. Then I exported using PDF function. I went into the more tab and ticked "include bleeds" and "include crop marks", thinking that it will take into account the .15cm off each side and insert the crop marks .15cm inside the picture on each side. 

4. Export more tab.png

5. Then I exported and saved. When I opened the PDF document in Preview, the crop marks are still outside the bleed area!! (I double clicked on the picture so it turned pink so I could see the picture area). 

5. Exported product.png

6. Here's my file so you can have a look. I don't know what I'm doing wrong!!

Single invite test.afdesign

@toltec that file you gave me with the crop marks inserted is great..... how did you do it? All I see is lots of "rectangle" layers and I have no idea how you actually achieved that! If I can preset pages like that, I will love you forever!

For the invites, I basically need, on one A4 page, to be able to insert two invites (13.2cmx18.3cm) which include a .15cm bleed edge and have the crop marks there so that when I crop them, the final printed invites are 12.9cm x 18cm (obviously trimming off .15cm from each side). 

If you could tell me how you were able to insert those crop marks, that would be amazing then I can set up pages for all my documents (RSVPs, thank you cards, etc etc) and then just drop them in to the affinity file. 

1 hour ago, jemmalee said:

Firstly, I created a new document the size of the invites including the bleed edge. 

The size of the invite is actually 12.9cm x 18cm. So including the 1.5mm bleed, the size goes up to 13.2cm by 18.3cm. So I created the document size using the 13.2cm x 18.3cm. 

Don't add the bleed dimension to the size of the document. That area/dimension is beyond the size of the invite... not included in it.

I took your file and threw a pair together. The invite is one image 'cuz that's what was in your file. I put in a space to change out names on one side. To go to the embedded document double click on it on the page. As you can see here it now bleeds without the added size. (the "reception to follow" line seems a little tight to the bottom :))

5a98a38806c9b_ScreenShot2018-03-01at8_05_39PM.thumb.png.bf8c1aee392d27dacdfe683d2af3bfe7.png

two up.afdesign

4 hours ago, jemmalee said:

@toltec that file you gave me with the crop marks inserted is great..... how did you do it? All I see is lots of "rectangle" layers and I have no idea how you actually achieved that! If I can preset pages like that, I will love you forever!

The black boxes are for the crop lines, but the lines must not come to the edge of the invite or they will show on the invite. Basically, the white boxes just mask the corners of the boxes. See Designer file (attached).  Note, you don't need to apply bleed when outputting or anything like that, it is all done on the Designer page. Simples !

There is no particular reason why you cant draw the crop mark lines by hand, but I'm a bit lazy and find the two box method quicker and easier.

I have accumulated dozens of templates with two up images or four up images and crop marks, plus 10 or 12 up business cards, etc (not in Designer yet, sadly). It is so much easier than fiddling round with Artboards, PDFs and crops, IMHO and always works exactly as expected. My method has worked perfectly for 30 years for literally hundreds of professional print jobs. For me, anyway.

template.afdesign

If you still have problems, tell me the paper size (that the print shop will use), and your invite size and I will make the template for you. It's only a five minute job.

OMG @JimmyJack what you've created is awesome!! So, to achieve what you achieved, I tried the following:

1. Created a new document the size of the actual invite size (12.9cmx18cm)

2. Inserted the invite (with the extra room for the bleed) onto the new document

3. Added bleed in the document setup tab

4. Exported as PDF with bleed and crop marks included. 

I still didn't get the crop marks to sit inside the bleed area :( 

I swear I am going mad haha

36 minutes ago, toltec said:

The black boxes are for the crop lines, but the lines must not come to the edge of the invite or they will show on the invite. Basically, the white boxes just mask the corners of the boxes. See Designer file (attached).  Note, you don't need to apply bleed when outputting or anything like that, it is all done on the Designer page. Simples !

This is amazing @toltec! I am definitely going to give this a go. If I can create a template like this, then I only need to drop in my invites and tadaaa!!

Ok, I will have a play and see how I go. Thank you :)

55 minutes ago, jemmalee said:

OMG @JimmyJack what you've created is awesome!! So, to achieve what you achieved, I tried the following:

1. Created a new document the size of the actual invite size (12.9cmx18cm)

2. Inserted the invite (with the extra room for the bleed) onto the new document

3. Added bleed in the document setup tab

4. Exported as PDF with bleed and crop marks included. 

I still didn't get the crop marks to sit inside the bleed area :( 

I swear I am going mad haha

@JimmyJack OMG I DID IT!! Is what I did right?

final test.afdesign

final test.pdf

• 7 months later...

Well, I've been designing a set of flash cards for my music students on my iMac with Affinity Designer 1.6.1, have incorporated much of what has been mentioned, but still have a major issue. I'm not sure if it is my printer, so I would like someone with more experience to help answer this.

I have drawn cut marks/crop lines on each artboard to extend to the edges to make cutting on a paper cutter board easier. The margins are set to "0". I exported the PDF and opened it in macOS Preview. I clearly see how my cut marks/crop lines reach all 4 edges. When I go to print (I have an Epson Stylus NX420), I select a custom paper size I created that is 8.5"x11" with "Non-Printable Area>User Defined" with all 4 margins set to "0". In the print preview the cut marks also reach the edges of the paper. Now, when I print it out, I still have ⅛" white boarder all around. So on the print-out, the cut lines aren't reaching the edge of the paper. I tried selecting "borderless" but that enlarges the image (which I can't have because it throws off the necessary size of the images printed), and also switches to photo quality paper that uses more ink when printing and takes 3 times as long to print. I'm printing to regular white cardstock.

I've been at this for a week and after searching suggestions and comments, I have no solution.

In God's Harmony

• 3 months later...

Hello Everyone!!  I just found this thread (thank goodness) because I was having the same issue.  I am designing a booklet.  Each finished page is 10" wide x 7" tall.  Each page was created as an artboard.  When I export, some of the pages have the crop set properly, but many do not.

I originally had each page set as 7x10, then transformed them all to be 7.25x10.25 thinking maybe that was the issue.  Then in document setup I have .125 for each of the bleeds.  I export and make sure bleeds is ticked but nothing works properly.

Toltec, do you happen to have a template for the crop marks I can use?  I'm on such a tight timeline to print and am not able to figure this out on my own!  Please help!

Hello!  I am having issues with Affinity Designer not exporting the crop marks properly on a booklet I'm trying to send to print.  The bleeds are not working properly.  Each finished page is 7" x 10" and I am trying to export bleeds and crop marks at .125" around each edge.  I tried transforming each page to 7.25 x 10.25 thinking maybe I had to take account of the bleeds in the page size, but that didn't seem to work either.  

I am on a tight timeline to send to print and I am unable to fix this myself.  Is anyone able to help?

Patrick C,

Thanks for your input. I am aware that I shouldn't have to draw crop marks, but since setting the bleeds didn't print the crop marks to the edge, I tried what I explained. So, three months later and I still can't have my crop marks print to the edge of the page.

In God's Harmony

6 minutes ago, roddy said:

Patrick C,

Thanks for your input. I am aware that I shouldn't have to draw crop marks, but since setting the bleeds didn't print the crop marks to the edge, I tried what I explained. So, three months later and I still can't have my crop marks print to the edge of the page.

This has to do with your printer. Most likely it does not have a setting for borderless print, which would allow you to print to the edge of the page.
Most printers have an area around the edge of the page that they cannot print on, and/or that is meant for cropping out afterwards. 

Unless there is a specific setting in your print dialogue such as this: 

canon-borderless-control-v3.png

Then you won't be able to print on that area of the page, regardless. 

sig2.png.950594012af1a9c5582236e0a457cd0a.pngsig1.png.975f263a1c12b5aec3f87a4541eb33ef.png

Illustrator, Designer, 3D Modeller (In that order) - Open for commissions - Check out my art Instagram or follow me on twitter or like my Facebook page. Phew! 

Actually, I do have that option on my printer, but it made no difference. It wont print to the edge even when I selected borderless.

Here is an excerpt from the last part of my post here which you might have missed:

"I tried selecting "borderless" but that enlarges the image (which I can't have because it throws off the necessary size of the images printed), and also switches to photo quality paper that uses more ink when printing and takes 3 times as long to print."

In God's Harmony

23 minutes ago, roddy said:

Actually, I do have that option on my printer, but it made no difference. It wont print to the edge even when I selected borderless.

Here is an excerpt from the last part of my post here which you might have missed:

"I tried selecting "borderless" but that enlarges the image (which I can't have because it throws off the necessary size of the images printed), and also switches to photo quality paper that uses more ink when printing and takes 3 times as long to print."

Apologies for not reading your last post more carefully.
I see now where the issue is and why you needed to draw the crop marks in manually! I am surprised there is no option in borderless printing to set the document size percentage.

sig2.png.950594012af1a9c5582236e0a457cd0a.pngsig1.png.975f263a1c12b5aec3f87a4541eb33ef.png

Illustrator, Designer, 3D Modeller (In that order) - Open for commissions - Check out my art Instagram or follow me on twitter or like my Facebook page. Phew!