You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo for macOS - 1.6.7

TonyB

• Staff

Hi,

We are pleased to announce the App Store release of Affinity Photo, version 1.6.7 (and also 1.6.11 PK [& 1.6.9 PK] from the Affinity store)

The change-list is as follows:

- All new shadows / highlights algorithm for Develop.
- Develop clarity improvements.
- Improved input smoothing for all tools.
- Improved Perlin Noise filter.
- Transparent TGA import support.
- Many improvements to batch processing.
- PSD, PDF import / export improvements.
- Significant Photoshop plugin support improvements.
- Fixed inability to export transparent PNG, TIFF, etc.
- Fixed slow Lens Blur, Depth of Field blur issues.
- Fixed Depth of Field blur progress / slowness issues.
- Fixed sporadic hanging when opening many image files at once.
- Restored ability of marquee tools to snap.
- Fixed crashing bug when exporting certain large PSDs.
- Fixed a number of UI memory leaks.
- Added special case PSD import code for “SketchClub” PSD files (they should fix this!).
- Fixed UI labels on macOS versions prior to Mavericks.
- Numerous other fixes and stability improvements.

Please do not post bugs or problems that you find when using this version of the software in this thread, instead make a new thread in the Bugs on Mac section

I just made a quick test and the plugins from the NIK collection works much smoother now. This is really nice! Just need to import all my custom presets now.

One thing I noticed that in Affinity Photo no new layer is automatically generated (in PS the result of the NIK plugins ends up in a new layer... which can be useful when one want to tone down the result and/ or change the blending mode). I probably need to configure something.

3D and 2D hobby(art)ist. You can follow me on Twitter: @binaryriot or Instagram: binaryriot

On 2.3.2018 at 7:28 PM, tokai said:

I just made a quick test and the plugins from the NIK collection works much smoother now. This is really nice! Just need to import all my custom presets now.

One thing I noticed that in Affinity Photo no new layer is automatically generated (in PS the result of the NIK plugins ends up in a new layer... which can be useful when one want to tone down the result and/ or change the blending mode). I probably need to configure something.

Same here, what I do before using Nik is to duplicate the layer. It has the same effect like in Photoshop, just that you have to think to do it before until it becomes a habit ;)

cheers,

Lutz

| https://www.instagram.com/lutz.heidbrink https://500px.com/lutzheidbrink | https://www.eyeem.com/u/pixelcoder | https://society6.com/pixelcoder 
iPad Pro 10.5 - iOS 11.4.1 - Affinity Photo 1.6.7 - Affinity Designer 1.6.0.35 :11_blush:

• Staff

Hi DonOptics,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Open/run the Mac App Store app, go to the Updates section (on top) and click the Update button in front of the app's name to update it. If the update isn't listed there sign-out from the Mac App Store then sign in again (make sure you are signing-in with the same Apple ID used to but the app). Let me know if you are still having trouble.

Hi,

I've tried to update via the Affinity download page, but the installation does not work. Program will start, but stop after the initial logo. Could not be endet normally.

MacBook Pro, TouchBar, High Sierra 10.13.3

• Staff
6 minutes ago, Erwe said:

Hi,

what's the different between version 1.6.7 from the Mac store and 1.6.8 PK from the Affinity store?

Just translations for the Product Key dialog. We will also release a 1.6.9 with more translations later in the week.

Thanks for the improvements to shadow/highlight recovery.  I tried it on a shot of Half Dome in Yosemite.  Not a great shot, but the most underexposed shot in a bracketed set.  In full disclosure after being successful with shadows/highlights, I gave it a touch of tone mapping.

7B8CA334-9219-450E-8FB3-A21ADE1A8E91.jpeg

EBFEFFBC-10D9-4F18-96FF-CD09EFD109E9.jpeg

• Staff
12 hours ago, conrad2k said:

As impressed as I am with the improvements to the highlights and shadows recovery in the Develop Persona, it seems that those improvements did not make it into the Photo persona.

Hi Conrad, you're referring to the Shadows/Highlights adjustment? This is just for tonal compression - instead, try the Filter version which is under the Filters menu (no subcategory). It behaves very similarly to the implementation in the Develop Persona.

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

Thanks, James!  In this case, suggest that they be labelled differently since they perform different functions!

UPDATE

In my experiments, in addition to the Develop Persona, there are three ways to adjust highlights and shadows (Adjustment in the Studio, Layer->Adjustment, and Layer->Live Filter.  They all seem to function differently.  When trying to recover shadows in a severely underexposed image, only the tool in the develop persona works well.  The Live Filter layer has more options seems to desaturate the image; and the adjustment layer in both the Layer menu and the Adjustment tab in the Studio go to +/- 200% but performs as the previous version of AP performed (muddy shadow recovery).  

Honestly, it seems that the new shadow/highlight algorithms were only applied to the Develop module.  I find both the Live filter and the adjustments to be useless.  If they are not for shadow/highlight recovery are you say, @James Ritson, they need to be relabeled and there unique purpose explained clearly.

Edited by conrad2k
update

• 4 months later...
  • Staff
On 7/22/2018 at 12:19 AM, cobame said:

I am running 1.6.6. I started downloading 1.6.7 and it disappeared before it finished.  How do I get it now?  

Go back to the Mac App Store and look again in the Updates area

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 9 months later...
3 hours ago, DougDolde said:

Does it support scripts and actions designed for Photoshop?

Do you know of any other program that does?

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4