You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer for macOS - 1.6.1

TonyB

• Staff

Hi,

We are pleased to announce the App Store release of Affinity Designer , version 1.6.1 (and also 1.6.5 PK [& 1.6.3 PK] from the Affinity store)

The change-list is as follows:

- Improved brush smoothing. Any painting tools should now have better smoothing by default.
- Transparent TGA import support.
- Fix for failures when using compound objects inside groups with Constraints set on them.
- Fix for deleting a node of a bitmap fill causing crash.
- Fix for combo boxes causing crashes for certain users on High Sierra.
- Fix for exporting JPEG automatically choosing to export clips as paths which is a poor default and causes confusion.
- Fix for text objects being created outside the hierarchy of the artboard they were supposed to be created in.
- Fix for rotated text bounding boxes being incorrect and for disappearing text following Power-Duplicate.
- Fixed sporadic hanging when opening many image files at once.
- Fixed crashing bug when exporting certain large PSDs.
- Fixed a number of UI memory leaks.
- Added special case PSD import code for “SketchClub” PSD files (they should fix this!).
- Fixed PSD export of Fill layers.
- Fixed UI labels on macOS versions prior to Mavericks.
- Assorted PDF export improvements.
- Paste and file-drop of PDF format files will now honour the DPI, as per File->Place.
- Fix for marching ants not showing on a rotated canvas.
- Numerous other fixes and stability improvements.

Please do not post bugs or problems that you find when using this version of the software in this thread, instead make a new thread in the Bugs on Mac section

@ThierryMbp15 

11 hours ago, TonyB said:

Please do not post bugs or problems that you find when using this version of the software in this thread, instead make a new thread in the Bugs on Mac section

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Many thanks for all the hard work the Affinity Team do :)

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

...I have drawn with brushes today after the update 1.6.1, they are really fantastic and they move with precision and naturalness.
I have also seen that AD no longer closes without reason as often happened before the update. Good job!

5 hours ago, ThierryMbp15 said:

Nice 1.6.1 but I have problem with export EPS, I create a matrice for cut big poster 4 X 3 meters and export this in EPS but in EPS designer create one and not four file Why?

Have you used the export persona and created four ,slices' or do you use four artboards cobbled together?

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 8/18/2018 at 1:25 PM, bagmetv said:

Hi Affinity team,

It's very quiet here in 'Designer' development for Mac last months.
I understand you're focused now on iPad version and on finishing Publisher beta.

But can you inform us what are your plans for 'Designer' in 2018/2019? 

Cheers
Vitaliy

I myself would love an update - I've had Designer and Photo for about a year and haven't seen much in forms of product updates.

• 4 months later...
  • Staff

Hi idioty,
It's taking a little more than planned because of the tight integration with Affinity Publisher (features support/file format compatibility etc) but the development hasn't stopped and v1.7 will include various bug fixes/improvements/new features that were being developed since then.

Perhaps you guys could comment on some simple stuff that still isn't added - e.g. warp and perspective. It's been a year with no ETA and these are kind of critical pieces of functionality for a vector graphics program.

I'd agree that publishing more updates with smaller improvements to show that active development is taking place would be great. Since the software is very much a developing product with many features not yet implemented I would have expected much more frequent updates to reflect this. In fact, I've more than once spent time looking for "check for updates" settings, wondering if I've somehow disabled updates or missed new releases since I'm still on the same version I bought a year ago.

• Staff

Hi gafvert,
As explained above this situation is a little exceptional because we are preparing to release the first version of Publisher and we need to ensure its compatibility with the rest of the suite (personas integration, file format compatibility etc). We used to release updates more frequently and as soon as Publisher is out, I do expect updates return to their usual pace.

Thanks @MEB for the update. I am definitely very patient with this software. I am very happy you guys decided to create the Affinity software trio. Many graphic designers and illustrators (myself included) are jumping for joy that we won't have to rely on Adobe anymore, especially when you guys belt out features that bring us closer to breaking the Adobe monopoly. 

Keep the hard work and earning more awards for your software. Well worth all the hard work you guys do for us. 

• 4 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, JohnG said:

Is there an upgrade path for us early adopters?

Just wondering. I think I paid full price for the two versions I've had up to now.

I'm currently using 1.4.1.

I am on Mac so this only applies to you if you bought through the Mac App Store, sign into the account you bought it with and check for updates. There must be something similar for Windows.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

29 minutes ago, JohnG said:

Is there an upgrade path for us early adopters?

Just wondering. I think I paid full price for the two versions I've had up to now.

I'm currently using 1.4.1.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, John. :)

Serif only started selling the Mac versions of the Affinity apps through their own Affinity Store last year, so if you’re currently using version 1.4 of Affinity Designer you must have purchased it through the Mac App Store (MAS). Log in to the MAS with the Apple ID that you used for the original purchase, and you should find AD listed on the ‘Purchased’ tab.

If you only have Affinity Designer, not Affinity Photo, then you should only have paid once. All updates for version 1.x of both AD and APh are free: you only need to pay again if you want to upgrade so that you can benefit from the new features in version 2 when it eventually arrives.

@Old Bruce: The Affinity apps only became available for Windows at version 1.5, so if the OP is using version 1.4.1 he must be a Mac user.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thanks, Alfred. I went through my serial number database and learned that, while I got the original AD directly, I upgraded via the AppStore. I downloaded the upgrade.

Next, I'm buying Affinity Photo.

I absolutely REFUSE to lease software that can be instantly disabled, without notice, should the software hosting company be hacked. When I buy my next MacBook Pro, I'm leaving Adobe behind. No more Photoshop. No more Illustrator. No more InDesign. No more Fireworks. No more Acrobat. No more CS6, because I won't do CC.

Affinity seems to be exactly what I'm looking for, to deal with part of that change.

14 hours ago, JohnG said:

Thanks, Alfred. I went through my serial number database and learned that, while I got the original AD directly, I upgraded via the AppStore. I downloaded the upgrade.

Next, I'm buying Affinity Photo.

I absolutely REFUSE to lease software that can be instantly disabled, without notice, should the software hosting company be hacked. When I buy my next MacBook Pro, I'm leaving Adobe behind. No more Photoshop. No more Illustrator. No more InDesign. No more Fireworks. No more Acrobat. No more CS6, because I won't do CC.

Affinity seems to be exactly what I'm looking for, to deal with part of that change.

And don’t forget Affinity Publisher, now free in beta.    It is already a first-rate option for InDesign, and will only get better.   You might like to try it out, and then add it to your “future purchases” when you have your next MacBook Pro and it is ready for sale.   You can reach the download link by referring to the first topic in the Bugs in Affinity Publisher section of these forums.     And this is not an April Fool!

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9