Jump to content
Thenikmarr

Paint brush is affecting entire canvas instead of just selected area

Recommended Posts

I'm on the 12.9 iPad pro 2nd gen. 

 

I load the image attached to try and use as a learning tool. 

 

My goal is to select just the tree and use the brush tool to paint on a color overlay. However Everytime I do this the brush tool affects both the tree and the sky. 

 

My process so far has been. 

 

Open image. 

 

Use in painting to remove some stray black dots. 

 

Use the option in the selection persona to select by color of sky. 

 

Adjust range to fill out sky only and click the check mark to select. 

 

Now my selection is perfect so I invert and move to the photo persona

 

I choose the paintbrush. Lower to opacity and start brushing and it effects the entire image. 

 

I tried creating a mask layer from the selection but this hides the sky. 

 

I researched the selection refinement tutorial and I suppose I must be missing something. 

May.18.2008 (16).JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Works for me. Red brush only paints into selected area. Do you have more than one layer? Are you painting on the layer containing the selection.

 

917E4DDE-DB54-4EFD-BC8E-91AA01F2562B.png


IPad Pro 10.5 512GB iOS 12.3.1 Affinity Photo 1.7.2.150 Affinity Design 1.7.2.4 Publisher for iPad ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This may be a better example of the issue. So it PRIMARILY affects the selected area but is still putting shadowing over the unselected area 

056BCB37-83D8-4822-B641-DDC983CD2559.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Thenikmarr said:

still putting shadowing over the unselected area

 

I suspect that the "unselected" area isn't completely unselected. If I remember correctly, anything which is less than 50% selected is not marked by "marching ants" (and that would explain why the "shadowing" isn't bright red)..

 


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.1.404 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.1.143 • Designer for iPad 1.7.1.1 • iOS 12.4 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Alfred said:

 

I suspect that the "unselected" area isn't completely unselected. If I remember correctly, anything which is less than 50% selected is not marked by "marching ants" (and that would explain why the "shadowing" isn't bright red)..

 

I thought that might be an issue as well. I tried the refine selection tool but it showed the whole canvas as selected. Any idea how to properly select the tree only?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Thenikmarr said:

Any idea how to properly select the tree only?

 

I’m afraid not. Like you, I’m failing to get the sky 100% selected; I don’t know what we’re doing wrong.


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.1.404 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.1.143 • Designer for iPad 1.7.1.1 • iOS 12.4 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not getting ANY red on the blue background. I used the the flood selection tool, standard setting (20%) and turned off Contiguous. Made the selection, inverted it and started painting. I can see some of your tree has not been selected. Top right. 

Brush selected was from the Basic brush set. A soft round brush that I have assigned to ‘ paintbrush'. Changing my brush settings makes no difference.

Heres the .afphoto file.

 

Tree selection.afphoto


IPad Pro 10.5 512GB iOS 12.3.1 Affinity Photo 1.7.2.150 Affinity Design 1.7.2.4 Publisher for iPad ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, DM1 said:

I used the the flood selection tool

 

I deliberately didn't use that tool, because the OP said:

 

15 hours ago, Thenikmarr said:

Use the option in the selection persona to select by color of sky. 

 

I thought that should work equally well, but it doesn't. :(

 


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.1.404 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.1.143 • Designer for iPad 1.7.1.1 • iOS 12.4 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, do you mean the eye dropper? Crikey, didn’t even think of that one! :o.

'To select by colour of sky' - I thought the flood selection tool was the one to use for colour selection such as sky, having a tolerance for tonal variations and option to turn off contiguous selection.

I suspect the dropper would be only suited for solid colour. Fortunately with AP, if one technique fails to provide the desired result, their is usually another couple of ways to achieve the desired result.:)

 

@Thenikmarr Try using the 'magic wand', it is a flood selection tool. Turn off the contiguous setting, tap it to make sure it is not white highlighted. You can use add and or subtract to clean up the selection.


IPad Pro 10.5 512GB iOS 12.3.1 Affinity Photo 1.7.2.150 Affinity Design 1.7.2.4 Publisher for iPad ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, DM1 said:

I am not getting ANY red on the blue background. I used the the flood selection tool, standard setting (20%) and turned off Contiguous. Made the selection, inverted it and started painting. I can see some of your tree has not been selected. Top right. 

Brush selected was from the Basic brush set. A soft round brush that I have assigned to ‘ paintbrush'. Changing my brush settings makes no difference.

Heres the .afphoto file.

 

Tree selection.afphoto

So I fully appreciate you finding a way that works. I guess my question was more geared towards having the “select sampled color tool” work versus finding a different way. If that makes sense. I am trying to learn to navigate this program and I’m trying to figure out if there’s something about using the SSCT that I’m missing to select the range in the way I’m accustom to with other editors. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, DM1 said:

Oh, do you mean the eye dropper? Crikey, didn’t even think of that one! :o.

'To select by colour of sky' - I thought the flood selection tool was the one to use for colour selection such as sky, having a tolerance for tonal variations and option to turn off contiguous selection.

I suspect the dropper would be only suited for solid colour. Fortunately with AP, if one technique fails to provide the desired result, their is usually another couple of ways to achieve the desired result.:)

 

@Thenikmarr Try using the 'magic wand', it is a flood selection tool. Turn off the contiguous setting, tap it to make sure it is not white highlighted. You can use add and or subtract to clean up the selection.

Okay awesome! I’ll give that a go right now !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Alfred said:

 

I suspect that the "unselected" area isn't completely unselected. If I remember correctly, anything which is less than 50% selected is not marked by "marching ants" (and that would explain why the "shadowing" isn't bright red)..

 

So I think you’re right on the money Here. When I use the magic wand it works fine. But when using the color sampler The only way I could make it work was to then give a run over with the smart selection brush tool to make it truly deselect the sky in certain parts. Very odd IMO. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, DM1 said:

Oh, do you mean the eye dropper? Crikey, didn’t even think of that one! :o.

'To select by colour of sky' - I thought the flood selection tool was the one to use for colour selection such as sky, having a tolerance for tonal variations and option to turn off contiguous selection.

I suspect the dropper would be only suited for solid colour. Fortunately with AP, if one technique fails to provide the desired result, their is usually another couple of ways to achieve the desired result.:)

 

The 'Select Sampled Colour Tool' doesn't have an option to turn contiguous selection on or off, but it does have a Tolerance control.

 


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.1.404 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.1.143 • Designer for iPad 1.7.1.1 • iOS 12.4 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Alfred said:

The 'Select Sampled Colour Tool' doesn't have an option to turn contiguous selection on or off, but it does have a Tolerance control.

Interesting. One would think the tolerance here would behave in a similar way to the wand. Perhaps it is a little less tolerant. Also explains how the OP had some unselected branches evident.

Clearly the SSCT has its uses but selecting skies may not be the 'best' use for it. The help file shows it being used to select 'coloured' balloons against a blue sky, which it does very well.


IPad Pro 10.5 512GB iOS 12.3.1 Affinity Photo 1.7.2.150 Affinity Design 1.7.2.4 Publisher for iPad ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Thenikmarr said:

My goal is to select just the tree and use the brush tool to paint on a color overlay.

Mission accomplished.  xD


IPad Pro 10.5 512GB iOS 12.3.1 Affinity Photo 1.7.2.150 Affinity Design 1.7.2.4 Publisher for iPad ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×