You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Does Affinity use the CUDA driver - and does that still work?

I've been so busy that I haven't had time to deal with the "you must update your CUDA driver" message that appeared since the latest MacOS update (and for which there are apparently non-Apple solutions), but it did raise an interesting question: does the Affinity code also use this driver to speed up processing, and, if so, does that still work with this sort-of-bug-that-nobody-seems-to-claim?  I like the idea of using all the horse power in a machine to make things go faster - heck, I like anything that goes faster :P - so I'd be interested if fixing what is at present just a nuisance may help the application along.  Call it an extra motivation to find an answer, it may otherwise be with me for another half year 9_9

Regards, Binc

Warning: dark, twisted sense of humour.  Do not feed after midnight.

Wheat and BS intolerant.  Only use genuine Guinness to lubricate.

If you are asking if the Affinity apps are compiled to use CUDA acceleration for computationally intensive tasks by running them as parallel processes in the GPU cores, I am fairly sure the answer is no. As I understand it (which could be totally wrong), the reason is while some computational tasks can run quickly as parallel processes in the GPU, getting the results back to the CPU is slower than if the whole process was run in the CPU, if that makes any sense.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7