You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Greetings, I love the tools offered at Retro Supply (brushes) but unfortunately, most are tooled as Adobe Illustrator only. So I have a few questions for the collective brain.

1. Do you know of a way to convert AI brushes to work in Affinity Designer
  2. Do you know of a source that has retro etch / engraving brushes such as the one attached

Thank you
 ~ Jack

Grave-Etcher-11_grande.jpg

@jackperdue Do you have illustrator and have access to those brushes?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• 1 month later...

Those brushes are fun, I tried doing the same style brushes for AD.

I suspect my lines aren't as fine as their, and I'll delete the files if asked to.

As said in another post, the brushes are officially released, so I delete the files from this message. have fun :)

Edited by Wosven
Official release, files deleted from this post.

• 2 weeks later...

Wosven :  Thank you.  Very nice styles.  
Also ... 
It goes without saying that any techie that cracks the conversion between all / any AI add-ons / tools / asset/ brushes etc  and AD, will be a hero AND get a little money for their trouble.   :-)

jackperdue I just wrote to the folk at Retro Supply to ask them to make any / all their products AD-compatible. 
OK, so Retro Supply DID reply and there's a related Vimeo link below.   Their answer is roughly this :

Photoshop brushes in the .abr format will work in Affinity Photo.  Use the Vimeo link below to see how.  They also say that THIS brush set IS compatible with AD :

https://www.retrosupply.co/collections/textures/products/retroeffects-classic-collection-bundle

Edited by pmannaro
Update with answer fro Retro Supply

• 1 month later...
On 6/19/2018 at 4:58 PM, katie885 said:

Did you ever find an answer for this? I am actually interested in the same etching brush set and found this thread!

Hey, no, I didn't really find an answer. Only that some of the brushes Retro Supply sells will work with Affinity Designer and some will not. I contacted Retro Supply about my interest in these brushes and if they plan to create an option for AD. Said, no! I actually had purchased their retro etch / engraving brushes and discovered they would not work with AD they gladly refunded my purchase.

Makes you wonder what the differences are between the brushes that would make one work and the other not?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• 3 months later...

Hi @jackperdue and @katie885 Good news! Grave Etcher is now available for Affinity. You can find it here: https://www.retrosupply.co/collections/affinity-products/products/grave-etcher-vector-etching-brushes-for-affinity-design

We are actually working on making all of our Illustrator brushes available for Affinity (it's basically all I have been doing for the past couple of weeks). You can see our Affinity product catalog (so far) here: https://www.retrosupply.co/collections/affinity-products  We are hopefully going to be adding a couple of products a month here, so definitely keep an eye out on this page. 

We would love for y'all to take these for a spin and let us know what you think. Feel free to email me at support@retrosupply.co if you have any questions or comments!

-Suzanne at RetroSupply

• 1 year later...

Hi @Robokrabe!

As MEB stated, there's no way to convert Ai brushes to AD brushes.

The good news is that we've been super busy manually recreating a lot of our brushes for Affinity Designer. Do keep in mind that, as MEB stated, these aren't pure vector brushes, but they're whats supported by Affinity at the moment. You can check out our entire collection here.

If you have a particular brush pack of ours that you're dying to have for Affinity Designer, please let us know! If enough people request a certain one, we can prioritize that.

Thanks again to everyone on this thread for your support! 

On 7/14/2020 at 9:13 PM, RetroSupplyCo said:

Hi @Robokrabe!

As MEB stated, there's no way to convert Ai brushes to AD brushes.

The good news is that we've been super busy manually recreating a lot of our brushes for Affinity Designer. Do keep in mind that, as MEB stated, these aren't pure vector brushes, but they're whats supported by Affinity at the moment. You can check out our entire collection here.

If you have a particular brush pack of ours that you're dying to have for Affinity Designer, please let us know! If enough people request a certain one, we can prioritize that.

Thanks again to everyone on this thread for your support! 

Greetings,
That's what I like 

image_2020-07-14_22-41-11.png

• 7 months later...
On 7/14/2020 at 7:40 PM, MEB said:

Hi Robokrabe,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
No, there's no direct way to convert them. Besides that, current Affinity Designer brushes are hybrid (raster textures being repeated or stretched along a vector tor path), not pure vector brushes yet.

Would be great if you support pure vector brushes in the future. Illustrator did it back then in CS5. Cheers.

B

___♥___
| | |    | | |