ronnyb

"Greys" color palette is not grayscale

WARNING: If one uses the supplied Greys color palette in a CMYK document, the colors specified are converted into CMYK. This could lead to costly printing mistakes, ie, registering fine grayscale lines converted to 4 color CMYK is nearly impossible, etc. This should be remedied ASAP by Serif, as it can cause expensive headaches in pre-press and printing. Thanks for all you do, the software is amazing!

2017 15" MacBook Pro 14,3 w/ Intel 4 Core i7 @ 2.8 GHz, 16 GB RAM, AMD 455 @ 2 GB, 512 GB SSD, macOS High Sierra

2018 11" iPad Pro 256 GB, latest iPadOS public beta

If I recall, they are actually RGB no matter whether the intent is a CMYK document or not. And yes, it needs corrected. This was one of the first things I pointed out. And it's been pointed out several times.

I made my own that are actually percentages of K (5% steps), as well as changing my default palette to use them and 100% each of CMY + the registration color. I keep a backup in the chance an update kills my swatches.

Mike

Yeah, it seems minor but could cause a lot of headaches... I've been meaning to do that.... @MikeW, would u mind sharing those fixed Grey palettes with the community, maybe the awesome Devs just pick it up and swap it for the next update...? Cheers mate...

2017 15" MacBook Pro 14,3 w/ Intel 4 Core i7 @ 2.8 GHz, 16 GB RAM, AMD 455 @ 2 GB, 512 GB SSD, macOS High Sierra

Hi ronnyb

I believe they grey palette is actually done with HSL values to be more colour space agnostic. You can see that the L value increase to match the swatch name. Obviously as HSL covers more than just the K slider it will engage the other channels so you can get things like true black with the black 100% swatch

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

2 minutes ago, Chris_K said:

Hi ronnyb

I believe they grey palette is actually done with HSL values to be more colour space agnostic. You can see that the L value increase to match the swatch name. Obviously as HSL covers more than just the K slider it will engage the other channels so you can get things like true black with the black 100% swatch

Cheers

This doesn't help one bit when creating print work when so-called 90% black isn't simply 90% K. The fills should be tied to the document intent & color mode. It's not.

The attached fill file should be the correct one, Ronny. It is located in the appdata folder. Please...please copy out the one there before replacing just in case it isn't the right file. Oh, do make sure AD isn't running...

Mike

fills.zip

47 minutes ago, MikeW said:

The attached fill file should be the correct one, Ronny.

That one seems to have K-only for 100%, 95% and 90% (and, trivially, for 0%) but not the others, Mike. Do you have a more complete version hiding somewhere?

47 minutes ago, MikeW said:

It is located in the appdata folder.

It's in %AppData%\Affinity\Designer\1.0\user on Windows. The per-user support folders are in ~/Library/Containers/com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner on a Mac, but I don't know whether the folder structure below that is the same.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher for Windows • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.8.4.186 • Designer for iPad 1.8.4.4 • iPadOS 13.7 (iPad Air 2)

On 3/1/2018 at 11:32 AM, Chris_K said:

Hi ronnyb

Cheers

Would be good to specify it as such (Greyscale HSL) but more useful would be if the loaded palette adjusts to the document's colorspace... I don't see the need for HSL greys in a CMYK document....