You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Disabling/moving color picker

I'm a new user. I'm trying to use Affiniti Photo for ipad on iPad Pro 10.5".  I'm just using it as a sketching tool for the moment.

I am struggling to prevent my Apple pencil switching into the color picker mode with the magnifying glass as I'm drawing (happens on every 4th stroke or so, making the app unusable for me until I sort this out).

I think the problem in palm rejection (I have enabled "touch for gestures only").

As a right handed user, even when I have cleared the screen so that only the context tool is showing the heel of my hand is pressed against that tool. So how do I disable the color picker feature, or can the context tool be moved to the top of the screen when its the only tool displayed so that it is out of the way of my hand

• Staff

Hi McG and Welcome to the Forums,

We don't have an option to disable this.

Do you have the latest update installed from the App Store?  Also what version of IOS are you on?

What you've described was an issue in an older Beta of Affinity Photo on the iPad but that was resolved and the only way i can get the colour picker now is by a long press, by that i mean, i have to stop moving the pencil and hold it still for a couple of seconds to get the colour picker.

Hi Stokerg,

Thanks for replying.  I just bought the iPad Pro last week and I'm running IOS 11.2.6 and downloaded Affiniti Photo for iPad last Saturday and have version 1.6.7.76.

And I see part of the problem, If I draw fast I don't have the issue. I was staying too long at the starting point which was initiating the long press.  However for me that "long press" is about 0.8 seconds which is far too short so I keep stumbling on it. (Maybe my brand new ipad pro is faster....?)

Cheers Mike.

I’ve found that when dodging and burning in a small area with small strokes, the color picker will appear. This brings up the issue of modifier keys and how if they were implemented as they are on desktop, we could avoid these annoyances and mistaken inputs. Please put the main modifier keys at the sides of the canvas and restore the behavior of the brush/color picker to their desktop behavior. CMD, OPT, SHFT, CTRL, SPC please.

iPad Pro 12.9 M1/Mac Mini M1, in that order

This is happening to me all the time. :( If you’re a slow deliberate biro/pencil type artist it’s really hard not to keep accidentally using the colour picker. I’m on iOS 11.3 and AF 1.6.7.76 with an iPad Pro 9.7”

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Bump, I find this to be absolutely infuriating. I’ve taken to creating a layer of the colors I’m using so I can just swap back when it accidentally brings up the color picker. I’d love to be able to click on the color palate to lock the current color until I explicitly bring up the color selector. 

Theres no no way to cancel out of it when it comes up so your practically guaranteed to loose your current color if you move too slow and trigger the color picker. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there,

I'm having the same issue with the color picker. When I'm drawing in small detailed areas, it's very hard not to activate the color picker with the pencil with the "long press", which is too short to me. I want to use the app mainly for sketching and painting. Sadly this issue is too big to me, I'm still be using procreate until this is fixed. Hoping to be able to disable the press-and-hold color picker activation within the brush tool.

Happy night,

Juanma.

• 1 month later...

This problem is still happening.  It seems to happen increasingly as you zoom into the drawing.  When zoomed out a long press doesn’t seem as sensitive (short time interval) as if you zoom in.  Zoomed in it seems to switch the color picker almost every time for me.  

Please make an option to turn off having the brush switch to the color picker.  I am fine with the color picker being a tool that needs to be selected.  Every other paint program has been that way for decades.

or Make an option to have a modifier button be pressed while on the burst to switch to the color picker.  

The current method is bringing my production to a halt on the ipad!!!

I really want to dump adobe all together but until these little things exist that make it impossible to be efficient, I don’t know if I can faithfully leave them.

Thanks!

Dan

Just logged in to find how to turn this off. Oh no!!  It comes up all the time for fine work or if you are a slow beginner like me. Not to mention then you have a different color selected. I saw an’auto’ toggle in the pipette  menu thinking that would fix it but alas.  I found this issue immediately in photo, but not designer.  I like the extra brush options in photo though so hope for a new option  

Please put a switch in the options screen, or even better that bottom menu :)

Let me add, this app is bloody amazing!!  I’ve always wanted a tool that does what I intend intuitively, and finally feel I can get over my feelings of lament about fireworks being discontinued!

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Too bad that after so much time this issue still is not fixed.

I'm mostly a "ink" illustrator, working with black lines all the time. I don't need color picker to show most of the time... and it happens ALL THE TIME, color switches from black to white (my bg) or wide grey spectrum when my palm lays on sketch underneath.

I bought an app that is not usable at this point. Frustrating to say the least.

Please let us disable the color picker gesture!

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Absolutely MENTAL! Constantly going back and forth to reset color. How is a it this thread started in 2018, and this hasn’t been addressed? I want to love Affinity…but the last thing I want is a constant technical issue interrupting the creative flow. Please consider this in continued development. Thank you. 

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

I too would love the option to turn off the color picker with use of the touch. Almost half the time I pinch my canvas to zoom or scroll around my work I end up with a new color. It’s pretty frustrating. I’m on an m1 iPad Pro using Photo 2.

• 3 months later...