You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Sony .ARW files auto converts to TIFF when opened via Mac Photos

Hi,

Can really do with some help here. Just got a Sony A7R3 not too long back. I use Mac Photos for my photo management. From Photos, I tried to edit my .ARW raw files using Affinity. However, when the file's opened in Affinity, it is converted to TIFF. When I export the RAW file out and open it directly with Affinity, it opens as RAW. Not sure if it's a bug, or I have some settings done wrongly. I had no problems with my previous camera, OMD-EM1. Thanks!

10 hours ago, Moonie said:

Hi,

Can really do with some help here. Just got a Sony A7R3 not too long back. I use Mac Photos for my photo management. From Photos, I tried to edit my .ARW raw files using Affinity. However, when the file's opened in Affinity, it is converted to TIFF. When I export the RAW file out and open it directly with Affinity, it opens as RAW. Not sure if it's a bug, or I have some settings done wrongly. I had no problems with my previous camera, OMD-EM1. Thanks!

I saw this post and tried to replicate the above and yes the RAW is converted to a TIFF.  However I also had a few photos from my previous Sony A7R, and they too open as  TIFF.  This doesn't appear to be the Sony A7R3 problem.  

I use Capture One 10 (free) as my photo manager and because I use a Sony I have upgraded it to Capture One Pro 10, just a suggestion. 

Hi all, thanks for your prompt replies. Much appreciated! :-D

@MEB - I have uploaded a sample file. Pls take a look. Thanks!

@p_mac - thanks for confirming. At least I know I am not the only one facing the same problem. Seems like it is more likely a bug? Will take a look at Capture One Pro. I reluctantly moved from Aperture to Mac Photo. Been on the lookout for a better management software. Was hoping Affinity will come up with one soon. But it's been a long while :-(

@MEB 1 more thing I noticed. After editing the TIFF photo using Affinity, I closed the file as per before when a prompt will appear asking me whether I want to compress and layers and save it to Photos. I did the same but I was given the option to save the TIFF with layers, or to save as. When I opted for the former, Affinity shows that it is exporting the file presumably back to Photos. But back in Photos, I cannot find the edited file. It appears if I want to save my work, I have to separately save the file into another folder and possibly transfer it then back to Photos. Thanks!

Moonie, I was interested in your post so I have been looking at several things.  For example, if I simply Export an image out of Photos to my desktop, it exports correctly as a RAW file, but as you say, if you choose edit in Affinity from Photos, you get a TIFF.  I am wondering if Photos is doing the conversion before it reaches Affinity.  The TIFF file has filters applied when it gets to Affinity, while opening the RAW file that I exported to my desktop into AP comes in just as it should in the Develop persona.  They look remarkably different.  

I am wondering if this is an Apple Photos issue as I do not see how Affinity would applying any filters.   My thought is that they are not using the Master when the edit in is being used.  

When I am using Capture One, I use it to view the photos as it has a good catalogue system.  I mostly don't use 'edit in' with this software because it also produces a product that is no longer RAW, but it's sharpening feature is excellent, something that I use when I create Pano's in Affinity (Pano feature is awesome), so I am OK with TIFF files.    

I use Capture One because Affinity's Media Viewer is really slow and tedious, especially with the size of the RAW files that are produced by the Sony AR3.  When it gets better I will use AP's but for now, not so much.  

Hi p_mac, I noticed the same too. When I imported both Jpeg and Raw to Mac Photos, they both look a bit different but not as drastic as I would expect between a Jpeg and a Raw. When the Raw was opened in Affinity as TIFF, it looked the same as when I view the Raw in Photos. But when I opened the Raw exported out from Photos directly in Affinity, it was very different from the 'Raw' in Photos. 

Not quite sure where the issue might be from. Just hoping Affinity can replicate the problem and find a solution soon.

I am just hoping for a good replacement to the likes of Aperture. For a while Photos was bearable, until now :-(

I am a Sony user, but with an ancient A55. I have never had any problems loading ARW files. If I understand what is being said then when @Moonie and @p_mac open one of these newer AWR files it opens 'as a tiff'. Does it not open in Develop persona? How do you know it is a tiff? Does it have a tiff suffix in the tab at the top?

I understand that the DNG format has some commonalities with tiff. I wonder if these newer Sony AWRs do this which is why the RAW engine recognizes it as a tiff.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

As I understand it, there is a bug that affects the "Edit with..." command in Apple Photos when Affinity Photo is the chosen app. This may have other issues but one of them seems to be that RAW files are passed to AP as TIFF (or for some RAW filetypes as JPEGs) files in AP. 

To work around this, the following should pass the RAW file to Affinity Photo & open it in the Develop Persona:

1. In Apple Photos, double-click on the image so it zooms to the full size of the window & the "Edit" button appears.

2. Click the "Edit" button to open it in the Apple Photos edit mode.

3. Click on the "Extensions" button & choose "Edit in Affinity Photo." (Note that this 'edit in' option is phrased slightly differently from the 'edit with' option.)

4. The RAW file should now open in Affinity Photo's Develop Persona.

I am using version 3 of Apple Photos provided with High Sierra, so some of the details may be different if you are using an earlier version, but as long as you can get to the "Edit in Affinity Photo" option, it should work for you. Also note that like all other edits in Apple Photos, it is an 'all or nothing' process -- IOW, you can always revert to the original, unedited version but you can't revert to any intermediate edited version whether done in AP, Photos, or any other app.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: the "Edit with..." bug seems to affect all apps, not just Affinity Photo, so I guess this is an Apple bug they need to fix.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Not sure if it's a bug, or it was designed as such. Either way, I've tried as per RC-R's suggestion and it worked! In short, I selected the RAW then clicked on edit on the upper right, then clicked on extension (5th icon from the top right screen), and it goes to Affinity's Develop, after which I could proceed as per normal.

As for right clicking and choosing to Edit with "Affinity", what owenr says make sense to me. Only that I have problem saving the edited file back to Mac Photo. 

@John Rostron so when I open using the right click edit, the file opens as TIFF, which was indicated at the tab above and it doesn't open in Develop.

I am guessing we've found a solution now? :-D Thanks all for prompt replies and great feedbacks! Special thanks to R C-R! Time for editing :-D

28 minutes ago, owenr said:

The reported behaviour doesn't sound like a bug to me.

Maybe it isn't a bug as such but since there is no clear distinction in Apple Photos between editing an image with an external editor & developing a RAW file with one capable of doing that, it is still a source of confusion.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I have tried what has been explained above but am still not satisfied using Photos.  My reason is that it only opens an extension of AP, it does not open the AP app so once the edit in the develop persona is completed you are back in Apple Photos.  

Moonie, I tried this process several times, develop, retouch and was able to get back to photo with the changes.  However, the processes are very limited.  I tried the selection tool then looked for 'refine' but didn't appear that I could do that.  The 'inpainting' tool did it's work.  I have a MBP with Touch and had no Touch. Disappointed and limiting.  However Apple has never advertised this as an extensive editor so I guess it does as advertised.

I think that Photos reacts in the same manner as other apps like LR for example, when you pass the image to another photo app. I don't see this as a bug but as a consistent process. 

Great conversation and help, thanks all.

19 hours ago, owenr said:

Sounds like you used the "Affinity Develop" extension by mistake.

The "Edit in Affinity" extension in the same menu opens the actual Affinity Photo app.

Have you read the entire discussion owenr?

Edited by p_mac