You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Bug where masks deteriorate after closing and starting program again

I’ve had this happen twice in the same day now. I create masks and save my photo and everything looks great. I close the app and when I open it again to work on it all the masks seem to not work anymore. Everything is showing and my eraser marks and everything else are present when before they were perfectly blended.

See my examples attached. It should look more like the one where the masks obviously aren’t all messed up and basically not working anymore. I don’t know how to revert it back to the masks working correctly. Please advise

2B0332C4-F7A5-46C9-BD89-B58D11FC9317.png

A9E16EEF-0B2C-4234-9DB3-EB8B9A1C42D7.png

• Staff

Hi Sean Jones and Welcome to the Forums,

How does everything look on the Layers Panel?  Does it still show the mask icon?

I've just tried this and couldn't replicate it, my mask stayed the same and active after closing and re-opening the file.  Any chance you can set a Mask, save the file as a .afphoto file and attach it here or upload to our DropBox here and i'll see if the same happens with your file.

Yes the masks are still there in the layers. Here is the original file if you can take a look and see what’s happening. I’m having trouble uploading the file here on the forum as well as on Dropbox as it is quite large. It’s 542 MB, is there another way to get it to you?

• Staff

Hi Sean,

Thanks for the file.

Please see attached screenshot. 

The background pixel layer you've applied a Mask to has a transparent stroke, almost as if the erase brush has been used.  If you disable the Mask, you'll see the blue show from the Fill Layer further down the layers panel.  A quick fix, if you disable the Mask on the background layer and then use the Inpainting brush and brush over the blue around the nose and the Transparent area will be filled with pixel data from the background image (it does a really good job of replacing the area).  If you then enable the Mask again.  

I've saved the file and re-opened it a number of times, without any issues.  

Without seeing the workflow at the time this was created, it's hard to say for certain how the transparent area got there.  In all my attempts to recreate the issue by just using a Mask, have failed. 

IMG_0055.PNG