You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Symbol Unlink Bugs

I have a symbol that contains a single curve with a fill and a stroke. This symbol is used in dozens of places across multiple artboards. Today, I decided to tweak the color of the curve. At first everything worked as expected: changes to the first instance of the symbol were reflected in all symbols. But then, I pressed undo. AF undid the last change to the stroke of the first two instances of the symbol, but none of the rest. Now when I hover over the symbol (and the curve) in the Layers panel, it says that fill and stroke are unlinked attributes. For all of the instances of the symbol that I was not editing, the fill and stroke attributes became unlinked.

There are two issues:

1. Undo should not unlink attributes
  2. There is no way (that I can find) to relink (resync?) attributes.

Symbols always have unlink bugs in many versions, I suggest use ‘Embedded Document' to do the same job, it's more stable than symbol and you can even switch states (artboards) from the parent canvas.

Symbol is not safe to use, ' Embedded Document ' is indeed the current workaround.

The issue was mentioned a long time ago in the forum, but the development team doesn't seem to have officially acknowledged it. 

I have given up using symbol. Symbol is a major feature of affinity designer, which initially attracted me to start using Affinity Designer. I later found that symbol was very disappointed to be able to use, but the other aspects of affinity Designer were good enough to make me stay in Affinity Designer.

Symbols (along with slices, artboards and constraints ) still are one of those problem areas in AD. Two possibly related problems that I've listed:

• When copying and pasting layers between artboards where some layers are symbols, the original layers frequently get out of order and one of them becomes the bottommost layer in all artboards.
  • The Exclude from Snapping command does not propagate to all symbol instances.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.