You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi, I have a simple question. First off I love Affinity Photo and am moving all my photo editing needs over to it, but was wondering why all my .ORF files consistently appear at least 1 to 2 stops darker in the develop persona than what the JPEG embedded preview shows? Is there a setting that I have wrong or is this just something I have to get used too? I'm currently running 1.6.2 on Windows. I'm used to seeing the exposure level showing the same level as the JPEG preview in other editors.

Desktop: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB Ram, RTX 3070, LG 27" 4K 10Bit

Windows 11 22h2

Dell Laptop: i7 7700, 32GB Ram, GTX 1060, 16" 4K

Windows 10 22h2

33 minutes ago, Peter2017 said:

Confirm this. Same with my ORF Raw files. Running beta 1.6.3.103

Peter

I too have tried beta 1.6.3.103 same issue

Windows 11 22h2

Windows 10 22h2

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• Staff
16 hours ago, Gregory St. Laurent said:

Hi, I have a simple question. First off I love Affinity Photo and am moving all my photo editing needs over to it, but was wondering why all my .ORF files consistently appear at least 1 to 2 stops darker in the develop persona than what the JPEG embedded preview shows? Is there a setting that I have wrong or is this just something I have to get used too? I'm currently running 1.6.2 on Windows. I'm used to seeing the exposure level showing the same level as the JPEG preview in other editors.

Can you upload or PM me a link to a sample RAW file this is happening with.

2 hours ago, Lee D said:

I will as soon as I can get to it, Thanks

Windows 11 22h2

Windows 10 22h2

This seems to be a problem with (some?) Windows versions - I tried AP on Windows 7 and Windows 10, CR2's open way too dark.

Affinity Photo 2.0.4  |   Affinity Designer 1.10.5.1342 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.5.1342

Windows 10 Pro 22H2 64bit | Intel Core i7 8750H @ 2.2 GHz | Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 (Studio Driver) | Intel UHD Graphics 630 | 16 GB Dual Channel DDR4

https://www.flickr.com/photos/owlp

1 hour ago, owlp said:

This seems to be a problem with (some?) Windows versions - I tried AP on Windows 7 and Windows 10, CR2's open way too dark.

Not a problem here with CR2s from my EOS 600D.  I think you need to specify exactly which camera has produced the CR2s that open too dark for you and perhaps attach one to a post to the forum for other users to test.

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

7 hours ago, emmrecs01 said:

Not a problem here with CR2s from my EOS 600D.  I think you need to specify exactly which camera has produced the CR2s that open too dark for you and perhaps attach one to a post to the forum for other users to test.

Jeff

Lucky you, I tried AP on my desktop (ASUS M5A97R2.0) and laptop (HP Elitebook 850G1), and both my cameras (EOS 50D and 5DMII) are having this issue with AP's RAW converter, where all  the RAW's open up properly in Adobe Camera RAW, Digital Photo Professional 4 and Corel AfterShot Pro 3 (which I purchased now for this reason).

RAW.PNG

Affinity Photo 2.0.4  |   Affinity Designer 1.10.5.1342 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.5.1342

Windows 10 Pro 22H2 64bit | Intel Core i7 8750H @ 2.2 GHz | Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 (Studio Driver) | Intel UHD Graphics 630 | 16 GB Dual Channel DDR4

https://www.flickr.com/photos/owlp

On 2/28/2018 at 4:55 AM, Lee D said:

Any Ideas why this is happening? Just wondering if you saw my sample RAW that I uploaded?

Windows 11 22h2

Windows 10 22h2

5 minutes ago, Gregory St. Laurent said:

Any Ideas why this is happening? Just wondering if you saw my sample RAW that I uploaded?

I have no idea if this would explain it, but from your second screenshot I noticed that the DxO window shows an "Apply Preset" button, which implies some preset adjustments are being applied, unlike the Affinity Photo version where just any defaults set in the Develop Assistant Manager probably are the only adjustments being applied.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

11 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I have no idea if this would explain it, but from your second screenshot I noticed that the DxO window shows an "Apply Preset" button, which implies some preset adjustments are being applied, unlike the Affinity Photo version where just any defaults set in the Develop Assistant Manager probably are the only adjustments being applied.

I don't have any presets applied on load in DXO Optics Pro, in order to apply a preset you would need to click on said button to apply any presets after loading image. I have noticed the same issue when viewing in several programs (Lightroom, Olympus Viewer 3, RawTherapee, Faststone etc...) Affinity is always darker, even though exposure is correct in the RAW file.

Windows 11 22h2

Windows 10 22h2

Bonjour. 

J'ai comparé (dans les fenêtres flottantes) Affinity Photo, DPP, DxO.

Les résultats sont les mêmes mais ...

DxO applique un auto-ajustement à l'ouverture de l'image.

DxO doit être utilisé sans auto-ajustement.

Personnaliser-> clic-droit dans l'image-> Appliquer Self-> Pas de correction.

Cordialement.

29 minutes ago, Gregory St. Laurent said:

Affinity is always darker, even though exposure is correct in the RAW file.

There is no 'correct exposure' as such in a RAW file. There is the camera's exposure setting included in the metadata, but that is not the same thing.

A RAW file basically just consists of raw data from the camera's sensor plus whatever metadata the camera adds to that. The development software processes that into a usable image but either the user or the software decides how best to do that. This recent post by @smadell replying to another user's questions explains this in detail. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Gregory...

Check your Preferences in DxO. The screen shot you posted shows a LOT of saturation, contrast, etc. It seems unlikely that ANY Raw file would be that nicely developed without any processing. Quite frankly, most Raw files, when completely unprocessed, look a lot more like your Affinity screenshot.

DxO applies some settings whenever it opens a file. The default choice is set to a DxO Preset with some default processing; you need to go out of your way to change this to “no processing.” Is this really what you’ve got? Your DxO screenshot suggests otherwise.

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

8 minutes ago, R C-R said:

There is no 'correct exposure' as such in a RAW file. There is the camera's exposure setting included in the metadata, but that is not the same thing.

A RAW file basically just consists of raw data from the camera's sensor plus whatever metadata the camera adds to that. The development software processes that into a usable image but either the user or the software decides how best to do that. This recent post by @smadell replying to another user's questions explains this in detail. 

All I know is that I have used at least a dozen other editors in the past and in every case except Affinity I never have to use the Exposure slider on a properly exposed RAW (.ORF) file. I pretty much used Lightroom exclusively (until I dumped it and Adobe!) and when ever I would open a RAW file it would more or less matched in exposure what the JPEG preview would show, I would then proceed to tweak shadows, highlights color and so on but I usually never needed to touch exposure unless the picture was either over or under exposed. I guess I'm just going to have to except the fact that I can't rely on the way I used to do things anymore.

Windows 11 22h2

Windows 10 22h2

4 minutes ago, owenr said:

Look in the Develop Assistant. There's a toggle for an estimated tone curve which typically brightens. It could be that your other apps are applying such a curve, but you've  got it disabled in AP.

I have tried with or without applying tone curve, with it it is brighter but still quite a bit darker than what I am accustom to seeing. I'm going to have to research this some more.

Windows 11 22h2

Windows 10 22h2

So, Gregory...

I downloaded your raw file and opened it in both DxO Photo Lab and in Affinity Photo. I've got to admit - you're right. The Affinity version is darker, and flatter. I don't know why.

Truth be told, I always use DxO to develop my Raw files, and I find the raw processor in Affinity Photo not as much to my liking. Maybe it is a user interface issue only, but I find DxO easier to use and easier to get good results from. Maybe you have given me confirmation of my underlying suspicions!

Anyway, I remain a very strong believer in Affinity Photo. But, I play to its strengths and try to avoid its weaknesses. To me, Affinity's Develop Persona is not one of its strengths.

From your screenshots, it seems that you already own a copy of DxO. Why not use that? That's been my choice for a few years, and I still stand by it.

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

12 minutes ago, smadell said:

Gregory...

Check your Preferences in DxO. The screen shot you posted shows a LOT of saturation, contrast, etc. It seems unlikely that ANY Raw file would be that nicely developed without any processing. Quite frankly, most Raw files, when completely unprocessed, look a lot more like your Affinity screenshot.

DxO applies some settings whenever it opens a file. The default choice is set to a DxO Preset with some default processing; you need to go out of your way to change this to “no processing.” Is this really what you’ve got? Your DxO screenshot suggests otherwise.

I was pretty sure that I had apply no presets set in the options but I could be wrong I'll have to look at that further. But it still perplexes me to why every other program I own displays the exposure closer to what was taken? With a correctly exposed image I would never have to touch the Exposure slider or apply any brightness to an image, it is usually I apply a little color saturation, vibrancy, clarity, sharpening and maybe a little contrast and I'm good, just not used to see all my images so dark.

Windows 11 22h2

Windows 10 22h2

5 minutes ago, smadell said:

So, Gregory...

I downloaded your raw file and opened it in both DxO Photo Lab and in Affinity Photo. I've got to admit - you're right. The Affinity version is darker, and flatter. I don't know why.

Truth be told, I always use DxO to develop my Raw files, and I find the raw processor in Affinity Photo not as much to my liking. Maybe it is a user interface issue only, but I find DxO easier to use and easier to get good results from. Maybe you have given me confirmation of my underlying suspicions!

Anyway, I remain a very strong believer in Affinity Photo. But, I play to its strengths and try to avoid its weaknesses. To me, Affinity's Develop Persona is not one of its strengths.

From your screenshots, it seems that you already own a copy of DxO. Why not use that? That's been my choice for a few years, and I still stand by it.

I guess I'm going to have to use DXO, I was just hoping for an all in one solution so I wouldn't have to be jumping back and forth all the time and I also like the way Affinty's UI is laid out better.

Windows 11 22h2

Windows 10 22h2

7 minutes ago, Lusco Fusco said:

Yes, there is something strange with the RAW developer, just take a look at the histogram, same RAW file flat opened in Aff and LR

Captura.JPG

Exactly what I'm talking about!

Windows 11 22h2

Windows 10 22h2

16 minutes ago, Gregory St. Laurent said:

I was pretty sure that I had apply no presets set in the options but I could be wrong I'll have to look at that further.

From what I read here, DxO always applies a 'standard' preset by default:

As soon as you open your image in DxO OpticsPro, the DxO Standard default preset is automatically applied to the photo. This preset is a collection of basic corrections that deal with exposure, contrast, color, noise, and sharpness.

I believe the same is true for LR.

Affinity Photo