You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Gradient - use color picker tool

Hi guys,

It would be great if when using gradient colors, we could use the COLOR PICKER tool. For example, I have an object that has a gradient color. When I click on one of the handlers, to change one of the colors, if I use the color picker tool, the shape loses its gradient color and turns into the color chosen by the color picker, regardless of the fact that I first clicked on one of the gradient handlers. It would be great if when clicking on a gradient handler, and afterwards selecting the color picker tool and selecting a color, only the color of the gradient linked to the handler I clicked on, will be changed. I was actually surprised it doesn't work like this by default :)

Thank you,

Chris

7 minutes ago, MEB said:

Maybe we could add the same key modifiers for the Gradient Tool as we have for the Paint Brusht Tool - pressing ⌘ (cmd) + ⌥ (option/alt) would change to the loupe/colour picker so we can pick a colour for the selected colour stop.

You lost me :D I don't think I get it. Also, what is "⌘ (cmd) + ⌥ (option/alt)", is that Ctrl+Alt in Windows (doesn't really do anything on my end)? I've never used the paint brush, but the idea behind my suggestion is that users can use the eye dropper on objects existent on the stage.

• Staff

Sorry, on Windows is CTRL+ALT. Press and hold both keys and drag the mouse while using the Paint Brush Tool (in Pixel Persona if you are using Designer) to invoke the loupe/colour picker. What i was suggesting is using these same modifiers for the Gradient Tool (although i'm not sure if it's possible).

44 minutes ago, MEB said:

Sorry, on Windows is CTRL+ALT. Press and hold both keys and drag the mouse while using the Paint Brush Tool (in Pixel Persona if you are using Designer) to invoke the loupe/colour picker. What i was suggesting is using these same modifiers for the Gradient Tool (although i'm not sure if it's possible).

Yeah, something like this would be great :) It would save a lot of time.

• 1 year later...
On 2/27/2018 at 5:57 PM, chris.bannu said:

Hi guys,

It would be great if when using gradient colors, we could use the COLOR PICKER tool. For example, I have an object that has a gradient color. When I click on one of the handlers, to change one of the colors, if I use the color picker tool, the shape loses its gradient color and turns into the color chosen by the color picker, regardless of the fact that I first clicked on one of the gradient handlers. It would be great if when clicking on a gradient handler, and afterwards selecting the color picker tool and selecting a color, only the color of the gradient linked to the handler I clicked on, will be changed. I was actually surprised it doesn't work like this by default :)

Thank you,

Chris

I am madly missing a colour picker functionality like described by @chris.bannudirectly from the gradient editor. It is essential when you draw (recreate the image with vectors) on top of photos and need to add gradient points with exact colours from the image just below. Why is it not possible? :(

All workarounds slows the work flow down to a crawl.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

• 2 months later...
On 2/27/2018 at 10:57 AM, chris.bannu said:

Hi guys,

Thank you,

Chris

While your idea seems the most logical way to do this, I got myself used to using the color pickers from other parts of the Application. Color and Swatches own pickers do what you want (also, selecting a color from there, while selecting a handle, will do the same):

image.png.1c6c5192923e58cfb17644d1a770e898.png

Best regards!

On 11/19/2019 at 8:18 PM, Jowday said:

I am madly missing a colour picker functionality like described by @chris.bannudirectly from the gradient editor. It is essential when you draw (recreate the image with vectors) on top of photos and need to add gradient points with exact colours from the image just below. Why is it not possible? :(

All workarounds slows the work flow down to a crawl.

Using this also does what I describen in my last post. Is that what you are refering to?

EDIT: I noticed that this works when you have previously selected the Handle that appears on the Object itself, using the Gradient Tool (this doesn't work when using the Move Tool).

image.png.c99ecc879070d6c919e5a581e88e1247.png

Best regards!

On 2/27/2018 at 9:57 AM, chris.bannu said:

Chris, have you tried unchecking the Apply to selection in the context menu?  Then the color will be only placed in the sample well, so when you go back to the gradient it can be applied to the appropriate gradient handle/location.

820126008_Temp4.jpg.0380ca33dfa50d749eee7f90b8fffdac.jpg

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

• 9 months later...

The gradient tool would benefit from being thrown in a fire, doused in acid, stomped on with army boots, hung-drawn-and-quartered then buried in a lye pit and cursed to hell. Maybe it can do what I want but maybe it can't - I don't have a month to figure it out. This might be the single most frustrating challenge I've faced in 30 years of computers graphics and every vector drawing, raster painting, 3D modelling, video editing and FX package I've come across. Well, maybe the unfathomable hierarchical style sheets system in Microsoft Word could rival it.....

Windows 7 & 10 64-bit, Dual Xeon workstation(s) 64gb RAM, and single i7 laptop 32gb RAM