You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can a macro prompt for user made selections or masks?

In the last 24 hours I've recently dived in head first with the macOS and iOS versions of Affinity Photo.  

I feel like this is something I've been waiting for since the iPad came out and just realized this week the iOS version can run macros let alone macros made on the desktop version.  I am beyond thrilled however I'm running into a few issues I was hoping someone could help me with.

I'm attempting to create a macro that will make a layer mask based upon a selection which is essentially selecting out people in a photo.  When I make a macro so far it will always repeat the same selections which if that's the best it can do for now then I can work with that however I'm hoping there's an option that when the macro is ran it'll prompt the user to make their own selection and would be even better if this would also work similarly on iOS but not holding my breath on that just yet.

Is there a way to have a macro ask the user to do something at this stage of development?  If not are there any good workarounds and would those work on iOS? 

Also is it just me or do some filters (Only thing I've really noticed so far) work differently depending on if it's ran on iOS vs desktop with same settings on same image?  Perlin Noise is something I'm working into a macro and it just seems to blend better on iOS but with same exact settings on macOS it has to be heavily modified to reach something similar when ideally I'd like to have the same result on each platform.

Edit: So I see there's some actions that have settings next to them and within that there's an eye that can be clicked that will prompt a user so is there a way to have this come up for a selection or to mask something on a layer?  Any help is appreciated.

The short answer is NO. - You can't prompt for selections and/or masks in the actual software's macro recording implementation state. Those things you can do currently with macros are shown here in these videos:

Macros

For possible differences in behavior between the iOS and macOS versions somebody else, who uses both and thus maybe knows possible differences, can probably tell you better.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

You do not give details of what you wish to acheive with your macro. Would it be possible for you to create your selections or masks as named layers and then apply a macro to do the remainder?

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

My apologies for not being specific. 

For example with Photoshop which I’m trying to get away from I have over the years created actions/macros to do some basic touch ups on portraits such as a macro that enhances eyes that prompts me to select the eyes and will then continue through processing additional actions.  This could also apply to teeth or skin retouching as well. 

Another example is compositing.  I may have a portrait taken where the background isn’t ideal with a blur lens which makes it easy to replace the background so I have a few preset backgrounds and effects I apply such as lighting to help blend and would like to be prompted for a selection. 

As as it is now I make a macro to do these things but have to go back and re-mask if u will.  

I completely understand these are a little random but there are marketplaces on other platforms that do just these things and I’m a day one supporter of affinity photo on macOS and iOS but literally just now with macros (overlooked macro support was there in Nov) I’m just now jumping in and trying to make some home grown options that I can run on my iPad. 

I think even even with what it can and can’t do it’s really amazing and can’t wait until we can do more advanced things as a lot of friends and family have iPads and I could make macros and get them engaged in doing more with photography and this app as well. 

Hopefully this explains a few things a little better.