Jump to content
Jonopen

CPU active whilst AD is minimised

Recommended Posts

Just thought I'd mention that I noticed a lot of warm air blowing out of the side of my laptop today so checked Windows Task Manager. I was surprised to see such a high level of CPU activity, even when AD was minimised. The percentage of CPU activity was constantly changing whilst observing the Task manager. I had several combinations of files open during this work session but have since closed them and restarted AD (beta 1.6.3.103). This has cleared the idling CPU activity to 0%. Unfortunately I can't replicate the issue again at the moment.

Beta-CPU-busy.png.3a169e317717582203df6dc815dff059.png


Windows Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo. Windows 10 Home (v1709). Windows scaling 115% 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After a couple hours of intense work, AD for Windows does increase CPU usage, memory footprint, and the time required to select objects (mainly with many text objects and multiple artboards). Looks like a memory leak or an ever-growing database to me, but this is just a wild guess, obviously.

 

My workaround is to close the application and start fresh again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, rubs said:

After a couple hours of intense work, AD for Windows does increase CPU usage, memory footprint, and the time required to select objects (mainly with many text objects and multiple artboards). Looks like a memory leak or an ever-growing database to me, but this is just a wild guess, obviously.

 

My workaround is to close the application and start fresh again.

 

Is this the case even with the latest beta? And do you have lots of files open at this point?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for replies. As I'm working on a laptop I tend to hibernate it rather than shutting down which probably means it stays open much longer between restarts.


Windows Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo. Windows 10 Home (v1709). Windows scaling 115% 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

 

Is this the case even with the latest beta? And do you have lots of files open at this point?

 

It does happen with just one file open, but with lots of artboards and text in that file. And it didn't occur with the latest beta, at least not yet. Do the latest betas have fixed anything other than stated on the Fixes list? Beta 103 has listed only "fixed raster brush velocity".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, rubs said:

 

It does happen with just one file open, but with lots of artboards and text in that file. And it didn't occur with the latest beta, at least not yet. Do the latest betas have fixed anything other than stated on the Fixes list? Beta 103 has listed only "fixed raster brush velocity".

 

The way we use multiple CPU cores has changed massively - that was a result of fixing batch import in Photo, but it's had an affect on nearly everything in the application...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

The way we use multiple CPU cores has changed massively - that was a result of fixing batch import in Photo, but it's had an affect on nearly everything in the application...

Ouch... sounds like a lot of work ahead.


You'll never know what you can do until you get it up as high as you can go!   

AMD FX 8350 :: Radeon HD 7870 :: Windows 10 ::  http://mithferion.deviantart.com/

Oxygen Icons :: Free Quality Fonts :: Public Domain Pictures :: iOS 11 Design Resources :: iOS App Icon Template :: The Secret of High Quality Art

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

 

The way we use multiple CPU cores has changed massively - that was a result of fixing batch import in Photo, but it's had an affect on nearly everything in the application...

 

Good, I'll keep an eye on it and I'll post if the leakage problem happens again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2018/2/28 at 0:25 AM, rubs said:

After a couple hours of intense work, AD for Windows does increase CPU usage, memory footprint, and the time required to select objects (mainly with many text objects and multiple artboards). Looks like a memory leak or an ever-growing database to me, but this is just a wild guess, obviously.

 

My workaround is to close the application and start fresh again.

 

That's the problem with every official edition I've ever used.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/02/2018 at 4:37 PM, rubs said:

Good, I'll keep an eye on it and I'll post if the leakage problem happens again.

 

Seems it didn't change. 55% CPU usage after about 1 1/2 hour work. Using beta 104.

 

Look at the Task Manager shot below:

Taskmgr_2018-03-09_10-09-50.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These high CPU / GPU numbers may also be related to large asset collections. Searches are very very slow in large asset libraries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×