You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

CPU active whilst AD is minimised

Just thought I'd mention that I noticed a lot of warm air blowing out of the side of my laptop today so checked Windows Task Manager. I was surprised to see such a high level of CPU activity, even when AD was minimised. The percentage of CPU activity was constantly changing whilst observing the Task manager. I had several combinations of files open during this work session but have since closed them and restarted AD (beta 1.6.3.103). This has cleared the idling CPU activity to 0%. Unfortunately I can't replicate the issue again at the moment.

Beta-CPU-busy.png.3a169e317717582203df6dc815dff059.png

v2.4.1 Designer/Photo/Publisher | Mac mini (M1, 2020) | Sonoma 14.4.1

After a couple hours of intense work, AD for Windows does increase CPU usage, memory footprint, and the time required to select objects (mainly with many text objects and multiple artboards). Looks like a memory leak or an ever-growing database to me, but this is just a wild guess, obviously.

My workaround is to close the application and start fresh again.

18 hours ago, rubs said:

After a couple hours of intense work, AD for Windows does increase CPU usage, memory footprint, and the time required to select objects (mainly with many text objects and multiple artboards). Looks like a memory leak or an ever-growing database to me, but this is just a wild guess, obviously.

Is this the case even with the latest beta? And do you have lots of files open at this point?

Thanks for replies. As I'm working on a laptop I tend to hibernate it rather than shutting down which probably means it stays open much longer between restarts.

v2.4.1 Designer/Photo/Publisher | Mac mini (M1, 2020) | Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

Is this the case even with the latest beta? And do you have lots of files open at this point?

It does happen with just one file open, but with lots of artboards and text in that file. And it didn't occur with the latest beta, at least not yet. Do the latest betas have fixed anything other than stated on the Fixes list? Beta 103 has listed only "fixed raster brush velocity".

36 minutes ago, rubs said:

It does happen with just one file open, but with lots of artboards and text in that file. And it didn't occur with the latest beta, at least not yet. Do the latest betas have fixed anything other than stated on the Fixes list? Beta 103 has listed only "fixed raster brush velocity".

The way we use multiple CPU cores has changed massively - that was a result of fixing batch import in Photo, but it's had an affect on nearly everything in the application...

2 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

The way we use multiple CPU cores has changed massively - that was a result of fixing batch import in Photo, but it's had an affect on nearly everything in the application...

Ouch... sounds like a lot of work ahead.

5 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

Good, I'll keep an eye on it and I'll post if the leakage problem happens again.

On 2018/2/28 at 0:25 AM, rubs said:

That's the problem with every official edition I've ever used.

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/02/2018 at 4:37 PM, rubs said:

Good, I'll keep an eye on it and I'll post if the leakage problem happens again.

Seems it didn't change. 55% CPU usage after about 1 1/2 hour work. Using beta 104.

Look at the Task Manager shot below:

Taskmgr_2018-03-09_10-09-50.png

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.