You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Disable the magnifier while using the node tool?

I use the node tool to adjust vectors a lot. The last update made it so that a magnified circle pops up blocking the view of the line if I try to make smaller or slower adjustments. I think this is the long pressing with Apple Pencil mentioned in the 1.6.7 change list. I haven't been able to find a way to disable this. Is there a way, or a workaround I could use?

Hello and thank you.

As far as I can tell this isn't triggered by pressure, only time and movement. It will still pop up even when using my finger. I have noticed that when using brush tools the colour picker only pops up if I'm not moving, which works perfectly for me. The magnifier with the node tool and a few others, however, pops up even if I am moving.

I have enabled canvas rotation in all tools so that it's easier to move the line out of the way if the magnifier pops up over it. This is still somewhat annoying, but definitely usable.

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2019 at 11:27 PM, Mobileflea said:

Hi, also seems as though magnifier tool disables node tools function to select multiple nodes? Anyone else

No there’s a new method for node selection. You tap first with the pencil, then hold down two fingers, then draw with a lasso, then let go of your fingers, then let go of the pencil. Very frustrating and unintuitive.

3 hours ago, dangerweenie said:

it would appear that when using two fingers and the apple pencil, it randomly switches between lasso select and polygon select modes.  i really cant figure out what determines which of these two selection methods is invoked. very frustrating.

After holding down the two finger modifier, if your next action is interpreted as a tap, you get polygon selection. If your next action is interpreted as contact-and-dragging, you get lasso selection. Need to be sure your Pencil doesn't bounce or your finger isn't tentative.

I must admit I prefer the on-screen keys:

Preferences > Interface > On-screen modifier keys: On > Done.

• Select the object first with the Move tool then change to the Node tool, or alternatively select the object by tapping it with the Node tool.
  • Click the little arrow to the right of the context-specific options at the bottom of the screen (I'm using a Mini, so possibly on larger screens this might not be necessary) - it reveals the Constrain and Ignore Snapping on-screen keys. When no nodes are selected, they have selection functions instead.
  • For Lasso selection, hold a finger on the Ignore Snapping key and then drag a lasso selection with the Apple Pencil or your finger.
  • Raise the Pencil or finger first (tends to be moderately intuitive as you've finished drawing your selection), then take your finger off the Ignore Snapping key.

Notes: The Constrain key allows multiple cumulative rectangle node selection areas. Once you have dragged your selection, the keys do what their labels suggest.

Has there been any fix on this magnification when selecting nodes? For some reason it happens more for me in the new 1.7 version. Thanks in advance for any help. I don't know how necessary this is since we have almost infinite zoom. I agree that this is frustrating! Nice to know that other people are struggling with this. I hope a fix comes :)

Thanks so much!

Stephen:)

• Staff

@Adiarte

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :)

to all recent participants of this thread, if you are referring to the magnifier that appears using the apple pencil, the 1.7.1 patch released yesterday resolves this we believe.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

@Patrick Connor Unfortunately still there in Photo latest update, as reported repeatedly in beta testing. :(

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• 3 years later...