You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Question about Boolean operator

Howdy!

I was trying to use boolean operator to make a ball with colorful stripes. I've attached screenshot.

The circle is to be used as a mask

The rectangle stripes are to be masked by the circle.

But after I grouped the stripes, and tried to use Boolean operator, it won't work. 

The layers panel is also shown in the attached file. 

Please help!

BTW, I really love AD!!!

Regards,

Beginner v

post-7027-0-11975400-1424201184_thumb.png

Hi spnick,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Drag the circle over the thumbnail of the group in the Layers panel until a blue vertical marker appears.

Hello MEB, thank you for the solution! I kind of saw this technique in the tutorial. It did work ^_^

So there is no way to use the Boolean operator button in this situation?

• Staff

What you're wanting to achieve isn't a good candidate for a boolean operation - the best solution is to clip to the circle, which is what Miguel was suggesting. You could intersect each of the stripes against a copy of the circle and that would work, as would selecting all and choosing 'Divide' - but what you really wanted to do was what Miguel was suggesting, I think :)

• Staff

@spnick

The advantage of using clipping instead of a boolean operation(s), is that you are able to edit the  rectangles (for example to add or remove more colour stripes) keeping all the rest intact. If you had used a boolean operation, besides changing the rectangles, you would have to remake the boolean operation(s) too.

• Staff

Yes, you can press alt while performing a boolean operation to create a compound shape (similar to what Sketch and Illustrator do) but i wasn't referring to compound boolean operations in my post above. They can't be used in this case.

I was talking about a regular intersection between the circle and the rectangles as Matt suggested. The clipping will give you less work in case you want to edit the rectangles later.

@MEB

Yes, you can press alt while performing a boolean operation to create a compound shape (similar to what Sketch and Illustrator do) but i wasn't referring to compound boolean operations in my post above. They can't be used in this case.

I was talking about a regular intersection between the circle and the rectangles as Matt suggested. The clipping will give you less work in case you want to edit the rectangles later.

Thank you for the explanation!