You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hey everyone, 

I'm continuing to enjoy the many versatile tools Affinity has to offer. 

I recently got into portraits and am using light strings in many of my photos. I've been editing pictures of a model's face or hand surrounded by bluish light strings. I am a Mac user. Today I noticed that the default image that Photos makes has been appearing superior when it comes to how it displays my lights. I find that the radiance from the lights are much more subtle and nuanced than anything I can do in Affinity. I even tried to recreate the same photo via Affinity but couldn't find that softness that Photos was producing just in its default. I am working with RAW files. Below are attached 2 images. It's a close up of one of the lights. The first is in Affinity and the second Photos. I also attached two images showing the model and the lights around her. I can't for the life of me figure out how to get Affinity to look the same. While it does display more colours and it seems there is a hardness to it that separates the little circular shapes in the light vs. blending them together naturally. 

Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 2.18.07 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 2.18.11 PM.png

Here is perhaps a clearer example. I couldn't get the files to upload so I just took screen shots of them. The first one is Affinity. Notice how the lights are just washed out spaces. the second is from Photos the lights look so much softer and more detailed. How can I match or surpass this effect? Suggestions? Thanks!

Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 2.31.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 2.31.00 PM.png

• Staff

From the screenshots you're opening the RAW file in the Develop Persona which is unprocessed and viewing the JPEG in Preview which has been processed by the camera. Use the tools available in the Develop Persona such as Exposure, Enhance and Curves to adjust the image to your liking and then click Develop to switch the image over to the Photo Persona for you to continue to making adjustments.