You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[AD] text and its bounding box (how change it?)

When I have two texts like this: "123456" and then "yay" and select this two text and want arrange it vertically to the some object with align bottom, they are aligned good but text with special characters, because text have some base line and there are characters which are out of this line (ypj... they are below). I mean when text like "123 abc..." it is ok, but when I write "yjp" and other signs which are extra sized (I am sorry, don't know describe it in english), because their base is lower then others, then text is aligned higher then other text without this extra characters, because bounding box take the extra sized characters.

Question is, is there posibility change the bounding box to the base text line?

1 hour ago, Drevo said:

Question is, is there posibility change the bounding box to the base text line?

It doesn't seem to be possible to tell the program to ignore descenders (tails) when vertically aligning text with other objects. I think you have to write (for example) "xYz" and then change the text to "xyz" after alignment.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

You can also do it with Text frames instead of Artistic Text see gif below.

text frame alignment.gif

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

45 minutes ago, Alfred said:

It doesn't seem to be possible to tell the program to ignore descenders (tails) when vertically aligning text with other objects. I think you have to write (for example) "xYz" and then change the text to "xyz" after alignment.

Yes, that is I am doing it now.

30 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

You can also do it with Text frames instead of Artistic Text see gif below.

Thanks, I didn't know about this workaround.

I think it would be good to have second bounding box (as option turn it on / off) for text which is fixed in "base line".

53 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

You can also do it with Text frames instead of Artistic Text

That’s a good point. I’d forgotten about that!

The quickest and most reliable way to do it is to double-click on the bottom centre handle. This is one of the new features in version 1.6.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

The quickest and most reliable way to do it is to double-click on the bottom centre handle. This is one of the new features in version 1.6.

Thanks! I knew about double-clicking the bottom center handle but I had never noticed that it snaps the bounding box to the baseline instead of the descender height.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

It also marries the height of the bounding box, if you notice it snaps at 50 on both boxes with the height turning red.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions