ducktales

Rulers dont follow mouse on view rotation

When rotating the view the ruler indicators start going their own way. For example, when moving the mouse to the top-right corner, they seem to follow the coordinates as if the canvas was still normal. However, after rotating multiple times they completely lose their marbles. At 45° the top ruler is stuck in the center and 90° is my favorite when they move in the opposite direction of the mouse.

See video (6.3 MB)

Steps to reproduce:

1. View menu > Rotate Right
  2. Move mouse over canvas and watch the rulers
  3. View menu > Reset Rotation to recover

Affinity Designer v1.6.0

macOS v10.13.3

affinity-designer-rulers-rotation-bug.mp4

New to Affinity Photo and a Photoshop convert. Glad I found this topic because I experienced a similar thing.

I use a MacBook Pro for editing. With Photoshop I got into the practice with pinching the trackpad to change zoom levels.  And if not careful with the movement of your pinch with AP you can accidentally rotate the image instead of zooming (with PS it took a defined and purposeful motion to rotate instead of zoom so couldn't accidentally be done). And when the image rotates,,, the Rulers display changes to this weird decimal number that is no longer coordinated with the image. Even when the image is rotated back,,, the Rulers change persists and the only way to reset them is to close and save the image then reopen it.

Is this a bug in the program? Is there a way to reset the Rulers once this happens other then closing the image then reopening it?

Hi elec164,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Yes, this is a bug that's already logged/assigned to be looked at. If you go to menu View ▸ Reset Rotation it should fix the issue without the need to re-open the document.
You can also go to Affinity Photo Preferences, Tools section and untick Enable Canvas Rotation with Trackpad to prevent the view from rotating accidentally when you are pinching on the trackpad to zoom.