You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Using Airplay, Roku, or desktop monitor with Photo?

I know you can mirror Photo to a large screen or projector via airplay, but is there a way to just send the image area to an external display? ie. You'd use the touch-based tools on the iPad, but the image alone would be mirrored with near realtime edits while you worked on the iPad? Perhaps using Roku, or your desktop monitor instead? 

Yes, I know I can simply use my desktop install of Photo for work where I'd like to use a larger monitor, but I've becoming more fond of the iPad interface versus the desktop interface. Likely, because I've not spent more time with the iPad version, but a way to use it together with a larger display would be nice. 

Anyone figured out a way to do this or a work-around that achieves the same result?

3 hours ago, obtusity said:

HDMI monitor, cable, and Lightning Digital AV adapter? https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD826AM/A/lightning-digital-av-adapter

See the reply on https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8202375 for a little bit more background on how it works.

Thanks, but I already have one of these. This method wouldn’t really be any different than airplay mirroring.

What I’m after is tools and image on iPad, and just the image updated in real time on external display.

There’s an animation iPad app for doing live stage animations for projection via cable, or it works via airplay too. It’s called TagTool https://www.omai.at/

Tagtool works as I’m describing. It’s be cool if Photo did too. That way, you could do fine detail work on the iPad, but also have a large display for reference or to also magnify for details.

Ah, now I understand. Canvas/image area only, no controls, panels,  or tools.

Nope, don't think you can currently do that, but might be worth submitting it in the Feature Request part of the forum.

I suspect it will need new app-specific code rather than existing iOS or Affinity Photo features.

6 hours ago, obtusity said:

Ah, now I understand. Canvas/image area only, no controls, panels,  or tools.

Nope, don't think you can currently do that, but might be worth submitting it in the Feature Request part of the forum.

I suspect it will need new app-specific code rather than existing iOS or Affinity Photo features.

Perhaps, but I bet it wouldn’t require much extra coding at all. Could be as simple as “mirror canvas only” in the code.

It’s not really that unusual a feature.

I’ve got an app like Astropad that functions to sync multiple displays, but if I’m going to do that, I’d likely just use the desktop. Besides, apps like that tend to also require server software running as well.

I’m mostly just after a large quick reference. It’s difficult to get a feel for how an image will display large. They can look great on a small iPad screen, but after you see them displayed large you notice things about overall composition that you didn’t realize when you edited it on a a small screen. 

If you’ve got a larger TV, like in the 50-60in+ range, send a slideshow of your images to it and you’ll see what I mean.

Many of today’s TVs on the market are very accurate for color. Not perfect calibration level, but I’ve found them to be an acceptable reference.

There’s another one that used to be free (might still be) called Springle. It just makes cool animated kaleidoscopic stuff from color, or you can point it at your camera roll as source. It also only displays the “canvas” only and not the tools to an external display.

I was asking here in the outside chance Photo already does this and all I needed was to find the right setting.

Here’a that other app I referenced, and it looks to still be free: :)

http://appshopper.com/entertainment/springle

Doesn’t look like the TagTool app I referenced is working for AirPlay like I described at the moment. The devs say it works in the iOS11.3 beta

However, the free Springle app works like this. And, I’d like to add if anyone from Affinity sees this and also thinks this is a great idea for Photo, please make it so that the canvas would use the entire 16:9 external HD screen, and not just the more square 4:3 iPad screen ratio.

Springle does this by asking which resolution you want to use. After you launch Springle, then mirror via AirPlay, there’s a prompt asking which resolution you want to use. Currently it caps out at 1920x1080 but it uses the whole screen. 4K would be spectacular.

Here’s the link again to the still currently free Springle app. Try it out mirroring to your Apple TV to a large screen display. Notice that the user tools and navigation don’t display on the external display, only the the graphics you’re manipulating on the iPad. Then, image how sweet it would be if you could get Photo to function the same way: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/springle/id628311639?mt=8