You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello all,

is there in AP or / and AD a workaround to place a label around a bottle?
I have a lot of work to design labels for bottles and make mock ups for customers.
Now I have to print the label and take a photo instead of create a mock up, as like for folding boxes.

I tried to work with mesh warp tool in AP. But the result isn´t perspectively okay and not replicable...
Any ideas for solutions?

In att. a sample for what I need!

thanks in advanced.

Mg_Rosmarinöl_OMD11656_V3.jpg

Bildschirmfoto 2018-02-26 um 16.41.31.png

MacBook Pro, iMac, Sierra 10.12.6

500px.com/maxxxworld

www.instagram.com/markus_linner

1 hour ago, Maxxxworld said:

I tried to work with mesh warp tool in AP. But the result isn´t perspectively okay and not replicable...

Hmm. I'm getting a decent warp result (imho). Are you using just the part of the label that would be visible?

5a94444d091e9_ScreenShot2018-02-26at12_29_03PM.thumb.png.2317e4c65bb5ab85ed8c9c12f6066719.png

.... and the warp cage. Basically just the corners.

5a94464ee87e2_ScreenShot2018-02-26at12_38_43PM.png.5e7eeecb8e59626e2b69ad97460a8ded.png

16 hours ago, Maxxxworld said:

..but I can´t rotate the result as I can do it for flat folding boxes.

Neither change design elements after wraping.

Hey Maxxx,

So now I'm not 100% sure I understand your question. (not sure what you're doing with the boxes)

If you mean rotating the result as in rotating a 3D object in a 3D space, then no Affinity does not have that ability like Photoshop CC (or Pshop Extended before it).

But if you mean rotate the result as in changing the label out quickly with another piece of artwork without having to redo the warp each time.... then you can set up a macro to do the "heavy lifting". Just place/paste in the new artwork, hit the macro, and you should be done.

But in any case.... yes, you're correct. The warp procedure is destructive. There is no way to change any individual design elements within the label after a warp has been done.

Edit: Oh, I think I get it re the boxes. You're using the live perspective filter. Which is itself editable, as well as the item(s) it's distorting.

1 hour ago, JimmyJack said:

But in any case.... yes, you're correct. The warp procedure is destructive.

Yes @JimmyJack now you understand my problem. I have to mock up e.g. 20 labels in short time and rotate them in three positions. 
I hope in 1.7 there is any way to wrap a flat label as Symbol.  :)

500px.com/maxxxworld

13 hours ago, Maxxxworld said:

I hope in 1.7 there is any way to wrap a flat label as Symbol.

"Wrap" implies a 3D object. But an image is flat; it has no curvature in the third dimension, So how would this work?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff
39 minutes ago, R C-R said:

"Wrap" implies a 3D object. But an image is flat; it has no curvature in the third dimension, So how would this work?

That's the reason why the mesh warp distortion tool exists (besides other creative uses): to simulate (although with less precision in 2D) the deformation that the label would have from a specific point of view in the 3d space. Ideally we should be able to save (or copy/paste) non-destructive mesh deformation presets so we could apply them to other objects but this is not available in Affinity.

3 minutes ago, MEB said:

That's the reason why the mesh warp distortion tool exists: to simulate (although with less precision in 2D) the deformation that the label would have from a specific point of view in the 3d space.

Yes, that is one of its uses, but I do not understand how that could be applied to whatever @Maxxxworld wants to 'rotate in three positions,' whether or not non-destructive mesh deformation presets could be saved.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

It depends on how the rotation will be done. He wasn't very clear about this. If  the object is rotated horizontally around it center (keeping the same point of view) a single non-destructive mesh (or preset) is enough. It's only necessary adjust the label which seems to be the case here. If he meant rotating the view point around the object (vertically for example) then he must create three different deformation meshes and would have to apply them to each one of the 20 labels.

2 hours ago, MEB said:

It depends on how the rotation will be done. He wasn't very clear about this. If  the object is rotated horizontally around it center (keeping the same point of view) a single non-destructive mesh (or preset) is enough

@MEB I would like to have the flat Label as Symbol origin and transform it into one perspective view in AD, as shown on the photo. 
If I change some details on Symbol origin, it should change on perspective view too. On the same way I can simulate folding boxes as shown in att. video.

Not as rectangle box, but as cylinder (Bottle).

But how to make a single non-destructive mesh or preset that´s geometrically correct and replicable?

I can do it only in AP als PIXEL and not in AD where the vector graphics origin?  

I´m right?

500px.com/maxxxworld

12 hours ago, MEB said:

That's the reason why the mesh warp distortion tool exists (besides other creative uses): to simulate (although with less precision in 2D) the deformation that the label would have from a specific point of view in the 3d space. Ideally we should be able to save (or copy/paste) non-destructive mesh deformation presets so we could apply them to other objects but this is not available in Affinity.

If you can parameterise the transformation (which should not really be difficult if you are happy with the algebra), then you could create the necessary wrapped image usng Filter > Distort > Equations. If you could post a full-size version of your label I could have a go.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

I have used Filter > Distort > Equations to transform your label. I first cropped of those parts that would be  invisible, then Rasterized it. This is necessary to set the actual dimensions to the cropped dimensions. I then added some space above and below the label. This allows room for any perspective curvature. I then went to Filter > Distort > Equations and applied the following equations:

x=(asin(2*x/w-1)*w/180)*pi/2+w/2
y=x-0.4*h*x*(w-x)/w/w

The 0.4 is a scaling factor for the curvature at the top of the label. This could be positive or negative depending on which way you want it to curve. Note that there are transparent areas at the top centre and the bottom corners.This is what it looks like:

MagnesiumDist.png.1014664d1289bd5b272e79598788c7f2.png

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

13 hours ago, John Rostron said:

I have used Filter > Distort > Equations to transform your label. I first cropped of those parts that would be  invisible, then Rasterized it. This is necessary to set the actual dimensions to the cropped dimensions. I then added some space above and below the label. This allows room for any perspective curvature. I then went to Filter > Distort > Equations and applied the following equations:

x=(asin(2*x/w-1)*w/180)*pi/2+w/2
y=x-0.4*h*x*(w-x)/w/w

The 0.4 is a scaling factor for the curvature at the top of the label. This could be positive or negative depending on which way you want it to curve. Note that there are transparent areas at the top centre and the bottom corners.This is what it looks like:

@John Rostron thank you so much! This is exactly what I´m searching for. Today I´m out of office, but at night I just will test your way of solution! 
wow! a very good way of a workaround for my problem!   

500px.com/maxxxworld

• 2 weeks later...
On 4.3.2018 at 0:35 PM, John Rostron said:

Glad you liked it @Maxxxworld. I have placed a Tutorial and a Macro covering this here.

John

Hi @John Rostron, soooorry for late answer. Your Tutorial und Macro are very helpful for my workarounds. I still use your formulas and I´m happy :) hahaha

500px.com/maxxxworld

• 2 years later...

Hi there,

Sorry for refreshing this old thread, but I don't want create new and also I couldn't find a more suitable one.
I am a new user here and I'm just starting the adventure with Affinity (especially with Designer and Photo), so I look forward to your understanding.

Today I was practicing more on warping layer to visualize it on complex object using the photo of the bottle and the label design from the author's post (Maxxxworld).

I found that Affinity Photo (v. 1.8.2.620) allows to distort/warp selected layer (or group of layers) in 4 different ways. So far I have used such as:
- Equations Filter using Macro from John Rostron - it's not perfect, but it saves a lot of time.
- Warp Mesh Tool - with minimum effort I got similiar label projection as in the reference photo, so it allows to keep the most precisely result.
- Shear Filter - using "curved line" in grid on the right I got similiar result to John's method. It's also good for create/visualize waving flag.
- Push Forward Tool in Liquify Persona -  I managed to get the desired, though so-so result, but I have used this method for fun purposes. Also, it  works on the raster layer only (you call it "Pixel").
All results you can see in attached image.

However, each of these methods is destructive, because it applies a final, pernament change to layer(s), so then it's no editable anymore.

Would be great if Affinity Photo could has such options like "Shear/Equations Live Filter Layer" or something like "Mesh Warp Tool", which will work on curve/embedded/pixel layer or even group of layers while maintaining the possibility of further editing. 

It should be added that so far, the program is not suitable for creating editable mock-up templates (except for boxes, posters or banners). The Serif Team should keep this in mind to change that.
Less advanced users often use ready-made templates, where just a few clicks is enough to replace the graphics - hence the great popularity of Photoshop. If such templates appeared for Affinity Photo, then more people would reach for it.

PS. Also sorry for my not very best English. I use Google Translate (very often), then I make a corrections.

Best Regards and Good Health,
Michael

warping-practice.jpg

• 2 years later...

I created this image using the perspective and mesh tools in about 15 minutes.

The biggest problem I see with kind of action is that the art guy/girl complicates the process.

I believe that the root cause of this is the lack of basic drawing skills and a grounding of the perspective theory.

Keep it Simple.

Lable.jpg

Edited by Sketcher504

I have created this 3D image (Bottle Label and Carton) using basic tools in Affinity Photo. I find it a waste of time and money printing, applying and photographing a package "concept" to present, when a little thought and effort can achieve the same thing. I find this is the fun part of creating a packaging concept. It will tell you right away if it will work.

3DwineBox.jpg