makingcake101

Crashing Constantly

I was loving this app for the last couple weeks but now out of the blue it has begun crashing. 

Its so bad I have been sitting here for 2 hours trying to achieve one thing and it has crashed every time and when it reopens my work is gone. 

All I am trying to do is select an area and paste it as a layer. It created the new layer but crashes moments later. I tried saving the document and it crashes before it saves. Ive tried copying the selection in hopes of pasting it into a project, but it crashes. 

My app is up to date. My iPad is up to date. How do I fix this?

Try exporting your file out to a PSD editable before it auto saves.

Then import it back in. You can delete the old once you've opened your new PSD.

Maybe your file was corrupted on a save so each time you make a change it tries to write over the file and it poops itself.

I hope this helps you out.

I also had this problem with a job I was doing on my iPad pro 12.9 first gen. After so many edits, it was just crashing whenever I tried to save or when autosaving and I would lose work. Rebooting the app and iPad itself did nothing. My workaround was to from the projects screen, save the afphoto file locally "On My iPad) then closing the document. Then Import from cloud, browse to "My Ipad" and bring the file back in. Saving is restored and it doesn't crash (for a while anyway). Hope they get this bug squashed soon.

Hey makingcake101,

I would try doing what Phojoegraphy suggested as I've seen this work in the past. We're still trying to figure out how and why this happens. 

Hi, I’ve been experiencing crashing on files that I’ve been working on for a while.. 

I’ve just tried deleting the history on one of these files and now it seems stable again. Maybe you should give it a try?

AffinityPhoto began crashing a very short time after purchase, July 2017, and and hasn’t stopped. After the last IOS update I reinstalled AP. Opened the app about six minutes ago. It crashed. Seriously, Serif?

IPad Pro, 1st gen. 20gb free memory. AP 1.6.7..

Very interesting PaulC. I tried deleting the history on a file that was crashing and it fixed the problem also. Hope the problem doesn’t come back but for now it looks like another work around.

of course I wish Serif would fix this.

Paul

2 hours ago, Phojoegraphy said:

I don't have my iPad in front of me but can we limit the history states in the preferences somewhere? This may keep it from happening when saving.

Under 'Preferences > General' the default Undo Limit is 128 but you can set it to any value from 8 to 2048.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.1.404 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.1.143 • Designer for iPad 1.7.1.1 • iOS 12.4 (iPad Air 2)

On 30/03/2018 at 8:13 PM, Neshiah474 said:

I took this advice and turned the History to the minimum of 8. The frequency of crashes has been greatly reduced.

Since reducing the UNDO limit to its minimum I have had not a single crash.

2 minutes ago, Neshiah474 said:

I increased the number of history saves from 8 to 20 and the crashes have resumed.

Thanks for that. Interesting to know, because 8 is a rather low value but we obviously can’t risk going much higher.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.1.404 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.1.143 • Designer for iPad 1.7.1.1 • iOS 12.4 (iPad Air 2)

12 hours ago, Neshiah474 said:

I increased the number of history saves from 8 to 20 and the crashes have resumed.

I have undo limit set to 50 and auto save 240 (4 minutes). Not experiencing any crashes on AP here. Maybe it’s linked to file size/number of layers involved? 

IPad Pro 10.5/512GB iOS 12.4. Affinity Photo 1.7.2.153 Affinity Design 1.7.2.6 Publisher for iPad ?

I think DM1 is right. These kind of crashes will be very dependant a large number of things. I'm a little surprised that going from a meagre 8 to 20 resumed the crashes. If you could send us a file it might help us figure out the trigger. 

7 hours ago, Chris B said:

I think DM1 is right. These kind of crashes will be very dependant a large number of things. I'm a little surprised that going from a meagre 8 to 20 resumed the crashes. If you could send us a file it might help us figure out the trigger. 

Ok. Thanks for your response.

Untitled_2.psd

I've just been editing the file you attached for half an hour or so, adding filters, making selections and painting different areas with my Undo Limit set to over 1,000 and I didn't get a single crash. I was also dragging the History Slider back and forth with over a couple hundred entries. It slowed down for a second or two as it was redrawing the screen. 

I'm not really sure what to say other than there must be a process or something in particular you are regularly doing that is causing the crashes. I don't think it's the file or your iPad at all... 

On 23/04/2018 at 8:41 AM, Chris B said:

I've just been editing the file you attached for half an hour or so, adding filters, making selections and painting different areas with my Undo Limit set to over 1,000 and I didn't get a single crash. I was also dragging the History Slider back and forth with over a couple hundred entries. It slowed down for a second or two as it was redrawing the screen. 

I'm not really sure what to say other than there must be a process or something in particular you are regularly doing that is causing the crashes. I don't think it's the file or your iPad at all... 

Ok, thank you for putting in the time. I can’t imagine what I might be doing. The app self-closed 3 times within five minutes this afternoon and I wasn’t actually doing anything.

Could you see if you can get some crash reports to us please?

1. On your iPad, navigate to the Settings app
  2. Go to Privacy
  3. Go to Analytics
  4. Go to Analytics Data
  5. You will see an alphabetical list all crash logs on your device. Find the one that corresponds to Photo - I believe they have the crash time and date in the filename. Doing a long press should allow you to select all of the text and copy it to your clipboard to save into a file or forum post.

I'll send them to dev and see if they can see the cause. 

1 hour ago, Chris B said:

Doing a long press should allow you to select all of the text

In theory, perhaps, but I couldn’t get that to work here! I resorted to sharing the file with myself via email.

I can confirm that the filename includes a timestamp. The older files just begin with ‘Photo’ but the more recent ones begin with ‘Photo iPad’ (e.g. ‘Photo iPad-2018-04-30-235959.ips’).

Alfred online2long.gif

On 3/8/2018 at 2:39 PM, Phojoegraphy said:

I also had this problem with a job I was doing on my iPad pro 12.9 first gen. After so many edits, it was just crashing whenever I tried to save or when autosaving and I would lose work. Rebooting the app and iPad itself did nothing. My workaround was to from the projects screen, save the afphoto file locally "On My iPad) then closing the document. Then Import from cloud, browse to "My Ipad" and bring the file back in. Saving is restored and it doesn't crash (for a while anyway). Hope they get this bug squashed soon.

Yesterday I experienced this same issue. I have several hours invested into a project.  All of a sudden every time I tried to go back to the gallery or auto save, AP would crash and I'd lose my work. I did exactly what was mentioned here. I saved the AP file to iCloud, opened on my iMac, made the edit I needed then saved it back to iCloud. Then re-imported back into AP on my iPad Pro and it seems to be working again.